Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SmartST V3 - SmartST 2005 Upgrade.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SmartST V3 - SmartST 2005 Upgrade.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whorsfall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:53 am    Post subject: SmartST V3 - SmartST 2005 Upgrade. Reply with quote

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody else has done this type of upgrade yet. I "know" this was not available in Australia yet but might be available elsewhere. Why do I ask this?
When I contact tech support Australia - and asked if my "Favourates" would be carried over (kept) after the upgrade they said "NO". I asked for any work-arounds and they said no. This is a big concern for me and I cannot believe this could be missed. As it has not been released here in Australia yet - I hope there is a fix or an utility to correct this.

They told me the file formats look different. So I post this as a question or warning if anybody else cosidering the upgrade. Again I could be incorrect if they fix this.

Any comments - or solutions to this?

Thanks,

Ward
Dilemma
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why can you not just back them up using the utility in the Desktop software menu. This stores all of your POI's favourites etc. You can then restore them via the same utility.
whorsfall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dilemma,

Thanks for your reply. I hope you are correct. As the software is not available yet - I will remember this and try it. My big concern was Navman Australia Tech Support tried the upgrade and told me there was "no" way of doing this. So hopefully when the software is released the method you mentioned will work.

Hopefully I have missunderstood and it can be done.

Do you have the new software?

Ward.
sinaloan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have carried out the upgrade and can confirm that the back-up utility works just fine, and is documented in the upgrade instructions supplied by Navman.

But I think (please anyone correct me if wrong) you have to be running the latest 510 service pack before you back-up/upgrade for this to work, I was and everything transferred fine when I ran the restore on the upgraded 510.
whorsfall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sinaloan,

Thanks for your reply - great info. So the "favourates" worked cool.

Ok I am not sure I have the service pack installed. However it might of came with it.

Acording to the Navman IC510 the about screen says:

Version: 3.00.1008
English: v3.01.1000

Built on: 2004-11-22 12:38:48 (B)

Could I compare that with your version. Which service pack do you have?

Great info.

Thanks,

Ward.
sinaloan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I made a note of the version numbers when I applied SP1 to the 510 V3, they are;

Before -> Version v3.00.0027 English v3.01.0003 Core:T-core-v1-16-0029
After -> Version v3.00.1008 English v3.01.1000 Core:T-core-v1-16-0039

So it looks like you already have the latest SP, yes all the favourites transferred just fine and all work OK.
AJ53
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:35 am    Post subject: SmartST 2005 Upgrade Reply with quote

Hi Ward

I am fron Sydney and have done this new 2005 upgrade. It is now available in Australia if you go to their web page and oreder it from their online shop.

About your "Favourates" they are carried over (kept) after the upgrade except that they are now all stored under Favourates.

The format is different. This version does not have any speed camera locations in it, but you can get all speed cameras and red light cameras locations from Les. Let me know if you would like his email address. He does charge for this information, but udates are free.

Regards

Tony
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: SmartST V3 - SmartST 2005 Upgrade. Reply with quote

[quote="whorsfall"]Hi,

I was wondering if anybody else has done this type of upgrade yet. I "know" this was not available in Australia yet but might be available elsewhere.

Hi Ward
On this forum http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/forum/forum5.html there is a lot of talk about the upgrades for Europe such as full European (upgraded) mapping for £99. In addition the talk is that there is a software (ST) upgrade for £29 English. I've not yet been able to access its source on the Namvan website which appears to show that the upgrade is part of the revised new mapping. Totally confused!!
If anyone knows where I can get this upgrade - and if its worth it, then please let me know.
Thanks Confused
enuuge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: SmartST 2005 Upgrade Reply with quote

AJ53 wrote:

I am fron Sydney and have done this new 2005 upgrade.

AJ55, couple of quick ones from a fellow Aussie (Melbourne) - how up-to-date are the new maps? Does it include the Cross City Tunnel, or is that too new for the maps. What about newer estates and subdivisions?

Has the "keyboard" been changed to a qwerty style of is it still in alphabetical order?

Thanks
AJ53
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: SmartST 2005 Upgrade Reply with quote

[quote="enuuge"]
AJ53 wrote:

I am fron Sydney and have done this new 2005 upgrade.

Enuuge, the new maps do show the Cross city tunnel but as yet have not tried it. I will be trying it tomorrow and will let you know. The maps are taken from the 2005 UBD directory. This directory does not show the tunnel but it is on the Navman.

The keyboard has changed and I think for the better. It is much bigger and is a lot easier to use. And yes it is in alphabetical order. If you like I could email you the instruction manual if this would help.

AJ53
DGreen
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enuuge,

Whilst I haven't yet seen the SmartST 2005 softwares, as it seems at this stage this version is not released for my PiN 300 system. During my efforts over the past months to find the differences between the SmartST v3 software and the newest version, I fired an email off to Navman (Aust) support.

The following is a part response to my initial email to Navman (Aust) support:

"The new 2005 version of the Navman software and map data will include more up to date mapping. This will include newer roads such as in new housing estates and new bypasses etc. This will also include additional points of interest.

Kind regards,

Darren Miller"

As the above didn't answer my initial question, I fired the email back asking for more pertinant improvements in the actual softwares.

Darren Miller did ring me back next day, and during discussions with him I found that the Software is basically the same as my SmartST v3 software (PiN 300) and that maps and POI's were the major improvements.

BUT !!! After complaining about the poor maps of Adelaide and suggesting that most probably Sydney maps, (I commute there very often to work), would be behind the times, I did mention the Cross City Tunnel and Darren did mention that it was on the new maps, even though it had only recently opened. (I actually find this hard to believe).

That is as close to the answer I can give to you, unless someone has already tested a system. You may wish to contact Darren Miller or someone at Navman support and verify from them prior to purchase. By doing this you would have reason to return the softwares as not being as mentioned, if the maps are incorrect.

Best Regards,
Denis
SmartST 2009 - Australian Maps, Western & Eastern European Maps
enuuge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Might pop down to one of the local retailers and check it out. There is some inconsistancy in the mapping with my iCN510, which I have had for six months. I live in a fairly new area, and some streets that were trafficable 5 years ago do not appear or appear as untrafficable, whilst others that have only been built within the last couple of years are trafficable.
enuuge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pitty about the keyboard. Whilst not a touch typist, I've used the QWERTY style for so long that I have reasonable typing speed, so its a real pain using the alpabetic keyboard, slows me right down.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enuuge wrote:
Pitty about the keyboard. Whilst not a touch typist, I've used the QWERTY style for so long that I have reasonable typing speed, so its a real pain using the alpabetic keyboard, slows me right down.

Me too! I learnt touch typing in the RAF as a signaller. Alphabetical keyboards really slow me down but on balance, i guess the majority of users are not QWERTY familiar. Confused
larkshall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: SmartstV2005 Upgrade Reply with quote

I hav the new software in a PIN570 plus SmartstV3 on my ICN510. (The former being works supplied, which I don't like so use my 510 in preference, No not the Navman bit, don't like PDA devices). But observations

a) don't like user interface on PIN570 prefer ICN510

b) Whilst the UK maps may have changed, they are far from being correct, note I say changed as distinct from being improved)

c)The Trip routing routine is better on 570 (v5)

d) Routing algorithm may have changed both devices suggest different routes, but again could be map differences.

e) am trying to persuade the boss to get me version 2005 for my ICN and he can have the PDA back (some chance as ICN can't handle e-mail etc).

I really really wish Navman could actually itemise what the differences are between the two software and map releases !!!!!!! Not the advert on their site.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: