Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom On Watchdog tonight (Tuesday 7pm)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom On Watchdog tonight (Tuesday 7pm)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoppy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spook51 wrote:
Masked-Marauder wrote:
Door to door planning!
Find your way to any address across Europe!

It may be difficult to believe but each time I have used TomTom (V3 and V5) it has done just that; directed me to every address I've asked it to in five countries across Europe.

I agree with this not quite 5 countries, but it has always taken me door to door :D
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unclebill wrote:
and lets not forget the sheep , horses , hikers , farm tractors and all the other uncharted and un-mappable objects

Maybe we should start a POI database ? Wink Laughing
gpsdell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lupos0_1 wrote:

You can't blame tomtom for something they have not made. If everyone stopped having a go at tomtom and started complaining to Teleatlas (the company responsible for these errors) then maybe things will improve in the future.

I understand that people are annoyed with tomtom because 'thats who I bought it off' but using that argument is like blaming T- Mobile because Samsung phones are Censored

I think it's fair enough to blame TT Smile They choose TeleAtlas and pay them lots of money in licenses so they should be the ones doing the shouting, not the poor old customer. If TeleAtlas don't pull their socks up, switch map provider (yes I understand that actually the alternatives might not be any better).

If my PC suffers from problems, I'd complain to the supplier or manufacturer, I shouldn't be concerned with which 3rd party supplier provided the internal components that might be at fault. Unfortunatley TT has to accept that poor maps reflect badly on them and it's their responsibility to sort it out.
lupos0_1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you accept that the alternatives may not be any better (which means they could be worse) what do you suggest Tomtom do???
gpsdell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading some of the posts on the TT GO forum there's lots to say that the alternatives are better! I haven't seen it with my own eyes so I can't say 100% though.

If even the alternatives are about the same, TT could use the threat of switching to get the improvements they want (as a last resort), if TeleAtlas refuse to make the changes to improve then switch! When TT selects a new partner they would probably be in quite a strong position to negotiate (TT seems to sell well) and could get commitments at that point about what kind of service they expect.
TazUk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom have signed an agreement with NavTeq, who are the main competitor to TeleAtlas, what this means in the long run is uncertain.
lupos0_1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TazUk wrote:
TomTom have signed an agreement with NavTeq, who are the main competitor to TeleAtlas, what this means in the long run is uncertain.

I believe that tgis agreement is only for the tomtom go versions?????? Evil or Very Mad

Make of that what you will Question
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lupos0_1 wrote:
If you accept that the alternatives may not be any better (which means they could be worse) what do you suggest Tomtom do???

They could try using Navteq maps to see if the quality is better.

They could put pressure on TeleAtlas to improve the quality of their maps and to commit to fixing map errors within a fixed time of them being reported.

They could use more up-to-date maps from their map supplier (I am told that it takes them many months to convert the maps for use with their mapping software).

They could release map updates more often.

Before anyone says that none of these are possible, don't forget that SatNav is now a very big business. It isn't a niche market for geeks or fitted only to expensive cars. As more and more people use it, they are going make more and more money but they are also going to get more and more demands for better quality maps.
raptorheli2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if tomtom have signed a deal with navteq then i can't see them getting mapping from different places, not least because, why would they pay for something twice?

with some luck it could spell the end of teleuseless as the map provider to tomtom and we may get maps that are half decent.

cheers
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raptorheli2 wrote:
if tomtom have signed a deal with navteq then i can't see them getting mapping from different places, not least because, why would they pay for something twice?

As TT is only using the Navteq maps on the Rider, they will only be paying for the number of units sold.

raptorheli2 wrote:
with some luck it could spell the end of teleuseless as the map provider to tomtom and we may get maps that are half decent.

Some users, who have experience of both mapping providers, say that the TeleAtlas Maps are better. Rolling Eyes

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
Some users, who have experience of both mapping providers, say that the TeleAtlas Maps are better. Rolling Eyes

And some others disagree. Exclamation
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
Oldboy wrote:

And some others disagree. Exclamation

It was ever thus ..... :D

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
anarchy-inc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
Masked-Marauder wrote:
Try it in Maidenhead then, eastbound out of the town on the MAIN A4 towards Slough. It tells you to take the first exit on a roundabout. That takes you down a road with Symantec on the corner, so if you don't know the area, you take the road. Then TomTom straight away tells you to turn round. The road has been there for years, so does that make TomTom wrong or the driver wrong?

On the A14 roundabout at Kettering coming from Wellingbourgh heading east onto the A14 it tells you to take the 4th Exit. The 4th exit is onto a small industrial estate that has been there for 5 years. TomTom spots you have done this and tells you to "Turn around when possible." Is that teh driver that is wrong or TomTom that is wrong. The 4th exit is the 4th exit, not the 5th.

I am starting to think this is a TomTom fan site.....

But surely it doesn't matter whether it's private or not? It is still and exit. For a few road users, that private road . . . is for them!!!!! For the rest of us, it still counts as an exit on the road . . . . TT should know this and count it as such.

Some of the data as presented by TeleAtlas leaves a little to be desired. That road with Symantec on the corner might by marked by TeleAtlas as 'Not navigable' and so it isn't counted as an exit! The same as the one in Kettering I imagine, as lots of roads onto Industrial Estates are so marked. They appear as black, grey or dashed roads, as I recall. Travelling from Shipley Bridge on the B2037 towards Horley on the B2036, I am instructed to take the third exit, which would take me back on myself. TeleAtlas have inadvertently marked someone's driveway, which eads straight onto the roundabout, as a legitimate exit.

Also, at the roundabout at Gatwick's North Terminal, when approaching from the South Terminal, the first exit leads onto a service road which isn't intended for public use, but public use isn't barred. TeleAtlas discount this as an exit, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
anarchy-inc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lupos0_1 wrote:
Absolutely Masked-Marauder,

You make some good points but these issues are to do with the map not the actual tomtom product. You can't blame tomtom for something they have not made. If everyone stopped having a go at tomtom and started complaining to Teleatlas (the company responsible for these errors) then maybe things will improve in the future.

I understand that people are annoyed with tomtom because 'thats who I bought it off' but using that argument is like blaming T- Mobile because Samsung phones are Censored

Uh, yes . . . . I can and WILL blame TomTom for poor outdated maps, and yes you could blame T-Mobile for a selling you a bad phone.

If you buy a new car and a sensor fails causing the engine to stop . . . who do you blame? The car manufacturer or the sensor part manufacturer? This sensor is merly a component in a product made by an OEM. The OEM has a legal right to make good. They then have to take up the issue with the pther company NOT the original consumer.

The same is so for TomTom. They are an OEM making navigation systems, and the map data is one components. If the green LED were to pop in all of our TomTom GPS antennas, who would we blame? TomTom or the unknown LED maker in China?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the end of the day, it is TT that have supplied the software and mapping data to the customer and is their responsibility to ensure that it works as per their advert.
How they implement the data suppled by the mapping company is down to them. Who is to say if they are incorporating all the data supplied or only what they choose either in whole or part, or even if they are doing it correctly.
Is TT's software reading the mapping data supplied to the customer correctly or ignoring parts it can't read. TT V3 had roads missing that were there in V2 and the same is the case from V3 to V5.
I recently had a conversation with a map data supplier regarding reported map errors and was told that they are first checked and if prove to be an error their database is corrected, but was also told that they have no control over how companies like TT use or apply their data, whilst new roads etc may take awhile to add due to time taken to survey them. What was surveyed in the past is still in their database.
So as I see it what you get is down to TT and is their responsibility.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: