Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 5 & Driving in France & Belguim
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 5 & Driving in France & Belguim
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you were - I eventually found it under the complaints thread.
drrbr1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exclamation Some pointers to using Navigator 5 in France - have just returned after some 2500 miles in France. In the main Navigator 5 worked well though on first switching to the France map, although it placed us correctly, it would not route to anywhere. Kept saying " no route found". This corrected itself after about an hour and there was no repetition.
Biggest problem was "Shortest route" planning. Sometimes this was brilliant taking us through stunning scenery we would not otherwise have found. On at least three occasions however it took us onto unmetalled roads which deteriorated into tank tracks and on one occasion to a locked gate! Turning round was the only option in each case. This has been referred to in these forums elsewhere. You have been warned!
"Fastest route" was not consistent and the same journey was planned differently on different occasions and differently again using the same journey in the opposite direction. Most odd.
However using "Fastest route" at least we always got there.
Not infallible, therefore, but a really useful navigation aid and marriage saver! Advanced warning of impending turns was invaluable.
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, not perfect but a darn site easier, and more fun, than reading maps.

To be honest, when we were in France recently I tended to use the fastest route by default so am not aware of any short falls as I've no idea where I was anyway Laughing Laughing

There was one occasion, however, where it tried to take me over a 3 foot wide footbridge over a gorge instead of around the town but on the whole I'd use it anytime instead of a map.
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good tips there and very informative :D
chrisb1357
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great help and many thanks for the above links to the site that shows the road signs, Also that site has alot of info about driving and has a table with the frence speeds converted into uk speeds

Chris
chrisb1357
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guest the speed limits are the same for Belguim as well,

What is the sign for a speed cam or laser gun

Chris
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

If I were you I'd stop reading this thread or you'll suffer from advice overload and won't enjoy your trip. At this rate by the time you go next month you'll be a nervous wreck!

It doesn't matter what the camera signs look like, it doesn't matter if you don't know how to convert miles to kilometres in your head, it doesn't matter that French and Belgium motorway speed limits are different.

Drive sensibly, that's all the advice you need and please, please, enjoy it!Driving

There is one bit of information you do need though: where to fill up with fuel/booze etc. just before you get on the ferry/Shuttle home.
Cheers!
BrianA
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BodgerBaz wrote:

My wife and I have had many, many trips abroad and have recently returned from a trip to France where we used SatNav for the first time. What a difference . . . a doddle compared to using maps. No panics about where we were, no arguments about the best route and no panics about getting lost in major cities. It was a breeze and we could BOTH look out the windows in the comfort of knowing we were being looked after by TomTom.

You'll love it.

Which parts of France were you in? I found TTN5 to be pretty unreliable this summer in West / South France (roads not there that were on the map and vice versa, junctions wrong etc). OTOH Paris and North/East of that was generally OK.

Go 520 + Navcore 8
(was a happy PDA user until TT stopped updating the software)
chrisb1357
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Laughing Out Loud, Give us the best places to do some shoppping near the port

Chirs
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brian,

We were staying in a gite here http://tinyurl.com/334ps

We did some touring around in most directions and found it very good. There was one other problem which I have since remembered.

We were driving down a temporary bit of motorway (although the twists and turns WERE in TTN!!) and it wanted me to exit on a junction which didn't exist but we could see the bridge over the motorway it wanted us to go on.

Fortunately it just recalculated and we came off at the next available junction and doubled back.

We even used parklng and museum POIs which were spot on.

I'd have to say that for a relatevly minimal outlay, to be able to say "Let's go to that car park 80miles away" and it take you there right to the entrance, via a half dozen satellites thousands of miles away. I'd have to say I find it pretty incredable.

I'd rate TTN5 9/10 Wink
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisb1357 wrote:
OK Laughing Out Loud, Give us the best places to do some shoppping near the port

Have a look here http://www.auchan.fr/contact/contactus/1/frontiere_anglaise.asp

Don't forget that Sunday is not a good day to stock up, stores are closed.. guess whose last trip back was on a Sunday Crying or Very sad
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also have a look here if this helps
http://www.yourcounty.co.uk/france/francesupermarkets.html

Forget the 'duty-free' its now almost the same price as your local supermarket.
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right about the shock of driving on English motorways after you return, the difference in driving standards is very noticeable.
Just so no one accuses us off straying too far from using TomTom when driving abroad, according to my France map you don't have to mess about going through Calais when travelling by ferry, the terminal is out of town on the eastern side.
My personal preference is Norfolkline to Dunkerque, no coaches or foot passengers and really good fish and chips!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: