Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Any sat nav options for off ramblers?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Any sat nav options for off ramblers?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daveyonthemove
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Any sat nav options for off ramblers? Reply with quote

Hi,
I currently have TTN5 on my ipaq hx4700, and have to admit it works a treat (unlike the tom tom support team).
What i will be needing shortly is a sat nave program designed for ramblers etc. I would like something that i can punch in co-ordinates (OS type) and it wil guide me on my way.
Is there any programs available like this? A map would also be handy, but a nessesity.
I should add that i'm not in a position to by a handheld device such as a garmin etc, so only looking for advice on software for the PPC.
Many thanks
Dave
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi daveyonthemove,

I use Memory-Map, but please look at our section on Topographical products that can be found here. Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
daveyonthemove
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the quick and informative repply.
I will take a good look at the reveiws when i get a spare half hour.
Out of interest, how do you find the map source? I'm hoping to get some software by the weekend as i plan to go into the Scottish mountains, so plan to get the best software i can afford.
Thanks
Dave
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi daveyonthemove,

The map source is spot on, as it is Ordnance Survey 2004 data. I have the full country Landranger (1:50,000 scale) maps.

I saw a number of products at the Ordnance Survey outdoor stand at the 2004 Royal Show. For my requirements Memory-Map was at the time (July 2004) the best package about. It’s now over a year later so things might have changed. Have a look at all of them.

As you walk, you need to look for 1:25,000 scale maps for which ever product you decide to buy.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
nigelw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was looking a few months back the 3 main options for OS based maps were Memory Map, Anquet and Fugawi. All 3 had downloadable demos, so you can try them out before you make a decision.

Doesn't the HX4700 have a VGA screen? MM now has full VGA resolution and supports rotation for portrait or landscape view. On a Axim X50v with VGA the OS maps are superb, but the screen isn't really bright enough outdoors in full sunshine. And battery life on a PDA with the screen at full brightness is poor, so you might want to get an extra battery unless you like short walks...
daveyonthemove
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Nigelw,
Thanks for your input.
Yes the 4700 does use a VGA scren and it is very good, although i havent tried it in direct sunlight yet, so will watch out for that.
I wasn't aware that there was a demo available for memory map, and out of all the products in the above link, MM is the one i like the look of the most.
On the demo version can you pick the area you wish to use as a trial, or do you get what your given?
Got the power problem sorted with a battery back up pack, and a solar panel to atatch to my rucksack for those nice sunny days.
Cheers
Dave
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uness your a fair weather walker you will need some means of keeping water off you ppc! I have a 2210 and two spots of rain on the screen and its off to the airing cupboard for a week to dry out before it can be used again Crying or Very sad ..Memory map had several areas in the country available for trial download .. the nearest area to me was near Swansea.. not all not sure about the others!

Dave
daveyonthemove
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks oddsock.
I'm happy to ramble off whatever the weather, although my PDA probably won't be as you pointed out. I will have to look out for a decent weatherproof cover this weekend before i go.
Any suggestions on where i can get a decent one, and what to look out for.
If i can find a demo of scotland (NE is where i'm off to) i will trial that while i'm up there, and buy the whole package on my return if it is as good as it looks.
Dave
7andy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aquapacs are good for 'waterproofing' your PDA. About 15 quid buys you the Standard, bit if you use a CF GPS then you'll probably need the Classic Plus for the extra height - about 20 quid.

Cheers, 7&Y
LeighB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I use the Mio 168, with an external battery pack. This all fits nicely inside the larger Aquapac. I use the external antenna fitted on the top of my rucksack. Slightly fiddly, but it gives 1st rate satellite reception, whereas the built in antenna hanging down in front is more likely to lose its lock.
Software I use is Memory map OS 2004, if you get the 1:25000 maps for areas you intend to walk the detail is excellent.

Mio168 Kingston 256SD
TomTomNavigator3 3.07
TomTom Navigator 5
Memory Map 2004 OS 4.4
Checkpoint 2.02
daveyonthemove
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant stuff. Thanks for your input guys.
I have got an aqua pack for mine now and it is good. i have faith that it will keep it nice and dry in a shower.
I have a bluetooth GPS receiver which is quite reliable, so i will seal it into a polythene bag and attatch it to my rucksack or hat for a good view of the skies.
Only problem is i have no time to order the software needed to get here for Saturday morning at latest, so it might all be in vain Sad
Does anybody know of a high street store that might sell them. I know i will probably pay a bit extra, but it will be worth it in my opinion.
Thanks again for the info
Dave
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To use the Memory Map on the PDA combined with the GPS you need the full license so a downloaded demo probably won't work even if it is avail - the other thing you need to take into account is the size of the maps, they ain't small if you load up a big area so you will need an SD or CF card to put it all on, the 25,000 scale map areas do cover certain regions of Scotland (carngorms and the other main white winter sport area)
You can download the OS viewer from the memory map web site - get the 2004 version as the 05 doesnt work with the UK maps at the moment and give it a try (if you haven't yet) - Where abouts are you planning to go as I love Scotland - its great, the only downside is the long drive to get their. Mike
daveyonthemove
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice Mike.
I have a 1gb cf card i use for movies and other app's i can remove and replace when needed,and a 512 sd card for my tomtom and speed camera alerts etc that are now permanantly on there.
I assume a 1gb card would be large enough to store most of the uk data?
Have downloaded the free trial, and i'm impressed with the detail, but dissapointed that it's only swansea. nevermind.
We are off to Garelochhead for accomadation and probably getting around alot of the surrounding area as we have 2 weeks up there.
Not been that far north myself, but was only saying last sunday how i would love to go for a long weekend one day. Imagine my surprise on monday when i get told i get to go for 2 weeks at work expense. lovelly
:D
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your MSN - or PM - mike
daveyonthemove
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
have just replyed on msn mail.
Cheers
Dave
Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: