Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Merge with road should be an instruction!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Merge with road should be an instruction!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Merge with road should be an instruction! Reply with quote

Yesterday I travelled from Rothbury to Chester-le-Street.
A journey which involves taking three roads, the B6344, A697 then A1 leading into A1(M)

However the way the roads are configured the B6344 merges directly into the A697 which in turn merges into the A1.

This means when I left Rothbury there were no turn instructions until I got to Junction 63 of the A1(M), over 40 miles away. Now this isn't a huge problem because I just keep going and I'll get there. However I think the sat nav should give me more information, for all I knew the sat nav had routed me on the same B-road all the way to Chester-le-Street, I had no indication at all that the road would merge with the A697 or the A1.

The solution is simple, don't ignore merges, make them a turn instruction in themselves. The symbol for the screen can be the same as the 'keep right' icon and the voice instruction can just say "Merge ahead", meaning the next road indicator will show the name of the road I'm about to merge with.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if there is no other option than to merge, surely the instruction is redundant?
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO SatNav should always be backed up by being able to know what's going to happen both via the signs and knowing what road you are on. If your road is about to change then TomTom should tell you about it, and let you know how long it is before you join the other road.

You don't think that, for example it would be useful to know that the B-road you've been pottering along is going to merge with a motorway in 1 mile?
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally browse the route before setting off. I don't see the point in redundant instructions, that's all. There are many examples of a road bearing round to the right which also incorporates a change of road name/number. I can live without being told to turn right in these instances. Similarly I can live without being told to turn left when entering a (for example) clockwise oneway system. I'm hardly likely to turn right, after all!

Still, each to his own. I wish I could give you an email address to which you could send TomTom feedback, but I can only find phone and fax numbers.
7andy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set up a route from the A14 to the M6. (eg Kettering to Coventry) You will find that TT5 reports no turns for over 30 miles, even though, at the end of the A14 you have to negotiate two roundabouts (the first, a left turn - 1st exit, and the second, a 'keep to the left hand lane' - 1st exit) and go under two bridges (M1-M6 junction), which makes it quite a complex junction to negotiate!. As I was vaguely aware of this route, it didn't take me by surprise. A stranger would be totally flummoxed!!

Cheers, 7&Y

PS These roundabouts have been there since the roads were built about fifteen years ago.
Bazzer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main problem, as I see it, is when does TomTom class a manoeuvre as an actual turn.

I have had many instances when I arrive at a T-Junction and absolutely no left or right turn instruction is given. I assume that this is down to how road priorities are stored within TT5.

In the example above, the A-Road that I'm travelling on turns right at the T-Junction, with a B-Road going left. TT5 must see this as the A-Road taking a sharp right turn, and not actually having to turn at T-Junction.

This reallly is a bug-bear of mine, as this is a basic mapping error getting the road priorities wrong. Tele-Atlas must just look at the red line of the A-Road on a road atlas, see that the road number has not changed, and conclude that no turn is made.

Very high-tech research & development indeed Clap I'm impressed - NOT

Baz
Garmin Montana 650
Garmin Oregon 45oT
Garmin Edge 1000
Tracklogs Digital Mapping
lupos0_1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to agree with Bazzer. There have been many times I have come to a T Junction and there is no instruction. Then 50yards later, it tells me to bear left (to stay on the same road). I think that the T junction instruction would be more important as I will stay on the same road anyway unless instructed.

Come on, this is a basic error.
Latest Maps
(Internal GPS)
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely agree that roundabouts and T junctions should be announced, but none of these are the same as the original comment.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The example given, the transition from the A14 to M6, is an error which came with TT5 - the road change was explicit on TT3. I reported it when TT5 first came out
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: