Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SmartST 2005 software
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SmartST 2005 software
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DGreen
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonS,

Just an observation in regards to the time taken to download your maps. From looking at Navman's advert for the maps and their map sizes, it appears that the file sizes have increased, some considerably. This being the case I would expect the download time to have increased.

Just from my point of view, and not having a iCN system rather the PiN 300, when loading SmartST v3 maps to a 1GB SD card it took an hour plus (finally went to watch TV whilst loading continued). That time was only for the maps I needed to 'fill' the SD card, so that was for only 50% to 60% of total maps.

You and others perhaps have convinced me to wait until the so-called SmartST v4 release in 2006.

Best Regards,
Denis
RonS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least it is possible to install sections of country maps to optimise the area held on the SD card. Even so, some of the sections are 30 MB to 40 MB in size. It is just a case of letting the PC run while you get on with something else. At least SmartST now indicates the loading progress with percentages of the total selected to be transferred and that of each map section.

From what I have seen so far the new iCN 510 software seems more intuitive than v3 and finding addresses is much better.

You must take care to remove all v3 map files (including base maps) because having different versions in the SD card causes the 510 to lock up.

Ron
DGreen
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonS,

As mentioned previously, I have the PiN 300 (SmartST v3). A client of mine has recently purchased the iCN 510 (SmartST v3). Comparing the 2 units, I did notice that the PiN Software actually was more intuitive and user friendly, in many aspects, than the 510 v3 version. It is perhaps that the new SmartST 2005 softwares have bought the 510 unit more in line with the PiN version SmartST v3.

I say this as when I read the "improvements" for SmartST 2005, many appear to be already in vogue on the PiN. I also note that when installing the SP2 pack for the PiN that the "mini-maps" were supposedly updated. About the only function that I havent been able to "test" between the 510 and PiN is the Postcode search as that has never worked for Australian Postcodes anyway, and I have never worried about that function when in Europe.

This could also account for why Navman told me that the major improvements for the PiN were the maps (railways etc) and POI handling. Also a possible reason why the next release will be nominated as SmartST v4 when released in 2006 (the v2005 may be a halfway upgrade to keep up with other competitive units))

The more mentioned here, in this topic, convinces me the let SmartST 2005 pass me by.

Best Regards,
Denis
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Going off the subject of this topic, have you tried a card read writer. I have multi one, reads all cards. The upload time is minimal, I don’t have to go & watch TV when uploading. They only cost a few £.
I think it was a good investment, as I format my cards every couple of weeks, because of the large card issues that the Navman has, in doing so it keeps the unit trouble free and myself a happier person. (I use the Navman for anything from 1000 to 2000 miles a week).
Regards
DRP

Mio M400 WEU, N60I, T1, 2x B2, iCN 510 & lots more
RonS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a multicard reader/writer that I use when formatting or copying from the card for back-up purposes. But I believe that transferring map sections from the CD to the SD card can only be done by SmartST Desktop when the card is in the Navman iCN. I may be wrong in this and would be pleased to know if that is the case.

Ron
DGreen
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRP,
My notebook has a built in SD/MMC card reader, but I think the word is "lazy" when it comes to use it when downloading etc. I do use the SD reader to back up all my SD's onto my notebook, as a precaution in case a SD card fails me or I lose one whilst travelling.

I realised last winter, whilst travelling in Germany, how easy it was for frozen fingers and small SD cards to part company at the most inappropriate time. Fortunately no loss or damage but scared the 'hell' out of me, so always carry backup loaded SD's plus backup on notebook. (Dont know what I will do with all my SD cards in later years !!)

Best Regards,
Denis
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonS wrote:
I also have a multicard reader/writer that I use when formatting or copying from the card for back-up purposes. But I believe that transferring map sections from the CD to the SD card can only be done by SmartST Desktop when the card is in the Navman iCN. I may be wrong in this and would be pleased to know if that is the case.

Ron

I certainly had no problems using a card reader/writer when using the Navman Desktop with my PPC or iCN635. It is necessary to have the registered device connected at the same time, though.
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ,
Tim is right.
You have to have the 510 connected to the PC, but no card fitted. Also the card reader/writer, the software then works it out that you have the reader connected and lets you upload to it. I have transferred all of my maps (not all at the same time) over the period of ownership.
Hopes this clarifies any misunderstandings.
Regards
DRP

Mio M400 WEU, N60I, T1, 2x B2, iCN 510 & lots more
RonS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tim and DRP, I'll give it a try.

Ron
larkshall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've been using smartstv3 on an icn510 and smart2005 on a pin570.

Dis-allowing the software changes (different hardware/processor), I can tell you that the new MAPs are no better than the old ones, EG Selby bypass (links A63, A19 running south of Selby), still does not show, nor does the AI re-routing from M62 to A63 or North to Bramham show yet !!!!.

Haven't checked Euro maps yet (e.g. Luxembourg ring road to North and West)
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonS wrote:

Ron

I just got a card reader/writer....if I want to back up my mmc card, do I simply copy the whole card to a folder on my computer or are there certain parts to leave out? Should I need to reload the card, is it simply a matter of reformatting the card and then copying everything across or is it more complex than that? Cheers.
DGreen
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon1,

Basically I do what you are enquiring about. I have created a folder that represents each SD card (MMC) I have and then just copy the whole of the SD files / folders inside that specifically created folder. This means that if needed I just copy the whole of folder contents back to a reformatted or new SD card. Works well.

(You can't as mentioned before, load any maps etc from the Navman CD's using this method.)

Best Regards,
Denis
SmartST 2009 - Australian Maps, Western & Eastern European Maps
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha! Thanks for that - I'll try it tonight. Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: