Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Virgin Mobile PAYG
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Virgin Mobile PAYG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arndale
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Virgin Mobile PAYG Reply with quote

I use Virgin Mobile and pay by Direct Debit. I've been trying for a while now to get my iPAQ 4150 to communiucate with the phone (Nokia 6230) so I can trial Traffic, without success.

Has anyone got a similar setup working?

I've tried exactly the same procedure on a mates iPAQ and phone (who uses Vodafone) and it works perfectly. He has the same phone and iPAQ as me.

On my phone I can manually open up (via GPRS) the web site Tom Tom says, to check that the connection to their server can be made. (Can't list it here at the moment as their site is down!!)

If I try to connect the PDA to the phone using the phone number of *99# which says go via GPRS not dialup, I get a message saying that I do not subscribe to GPRS.

I've spoken to Virgin who tell me that I am subscribed but they can't help me connecting pdas to phones. I tried to say that it must be a setting for their network that I need to use but they just said they can't answer my question. Agghhhh!

I did ask if perhaps because they offer 'Enhanced WAP' that it maybe wasn't full GPRS but I was assured it was.

Has anyone got any idea's?

Thanks
Dean
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look here http://www.filesaveas.com/gprs.html

Richard
arndale
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard, you are a star. I'd seen that website before, but obviously didn't persevere enough. It's now all working fine.

Thanks for the quick response. Now all I need now is the TomTom site working so I can start my free trial!

Dean
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done. It was that site that helped me when setting up my iPAQ h6300. The problem that I have encountered is that the coverage offered by Virgin is somewhat sparse - at least it is in the areas that I wanted recently. It was just as well that my wife had her O2 phone as well.

I am thinking of changing to O2, PAYG some time.

Richard
arndale
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Richard,

I tried Traffic out yesterday. It only told me about the trouble on the M25 just as I got onto it!, but that may have been because I had it set to check every 15 mins and it should have been more ofter at 7:30 in the morning. While sat in the Traffic I set it to update me every 30 mins as I was going to be there for a while.

I think it must have done 5 updates on my journey, which going by what I've read should have been about 25p's worth. When I got to my destination I checked on the Virgin web site and it said it had cost nearly £1.50.

Does yours cost a fortune or perhaps it's just my set up!

One thing I may be doing wrong is that I couldn't change the proxy (which I assume is the Gateway on my Nokia 6230). It was set to 193.30.166.4 Port 8080 Rather than 193.30.166.3 Port 9201 .It was the settings I was sent from the Nokia site as Virgin GPRS. See http://www.nokia.co.uk/nokia/0,,77073,00.html

Cheers
Dean
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dean,

I have not noticed any deductions of the order of £1.50 but then I have not used it a lot when on the road. Usually before setting off I use a WiFi connection on my iPAQ h6340 to see likely problem areas. When away from home I have tried using GPRS and quite often I have not been able to get a connection because of poor reception.

Recently when setting off for Scotland I could see that the M25 was at a standstill so TomTom routed me across country. I was driving along, not too far from home, and was saying "I would not have gone that way" only to find my preferred route was also at a standstill - well done Traffic.

Richard

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: