Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT Lack Of Interest with Version 5?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT Lack Of Interest with Version 5?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: TT Lack Of Interest with Version 5? Reply with quote

Is anyone else as pi**ed off as me with the seemingly total lack of interest of Tom Tom with version 5. OK we have had the update to version 5.10 which addressed issues for some users, but looking at the ever growing list of bugs listed in the sticky, the majority of users who have issues are still being ignored.

I received my version on the 9th of June, and here we are 3/4 months later still using a version that in my opinion is inferior to it's predecessor.

Come on Tom Tom, let's get it together and sort out some of these bugs!!!
Crocodile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What possible reason could you have for thinking that Tom Tom are remotely interested in further development of V5? Let's look at the facts:

Tom Tom have always had a total disregard for their users as evidenced by years of untested software, lousy support & out of date maps. Look at the farce with major towns missing from the database of V3.

Tom Tom have reduced the features in V5 following "extensive consultation" with their customers. Were you or anyone you know consulted? - of course not. Tom Tom took a decision to reduce costs by implementing a common platform". By definition, this was always going to result in the lowest common denominator as far as features are concerned.

Given past experience, you would think that the majority of users would wait for the product to stabilise but no. Come day one of release of the upgrade, the whole world & his wife rush like Lemmings to place their order.

Then we get the whining about poor order processing, monies being taken before shipment & no reply to queries. I can tell you, I was shocked - not.

Then the product finally ships & - surprise, surprise - it's a pile of garbage. I was shocked again - not.

Now given that the funds generated by selling this joke of a piece of software are safely nestling in Tom Tom's bank, why would they want to waste any of it on further development?

All they need to do is carry on stalling for another few months until they can release V6 when the Lemmings will once again rush forward, debit card in hand following another glowing, fawning review by this site. I fully expect V6 to achieve at least 120% rating - maybe even 150% if the reviewer actually takes the product out of the box & installs it....
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do agree somewhat ..i remember by now with tt3 i think we already had about 2 or updates by now ,although this update has fixed 99% of my issues ,i still have a few things that could make tt5 a better piece of kit
lupos0_1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Andy Laughing

On the other hand, there are always going to be people that are not happy. Can't please everyone can you Joker
amcluesent
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>maybe even 150% if the reviewer actually takes the product out of the box <

Smile I think the effect of the bus that leaves from Victoria to Amsterdam every weekend has a lot to answer for. Being taken to review TomTom x.x during a "gentleman's smoking weekend" may, ahem, cloud one's judgement Wink
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As can be seen from there finacial results the GO range is their prime concern, but also the online services such as traffic and all those waste of money voice files are a nice revenue earners....

Compare the version numbers and Navigator for the PPC is currently 5.1 whereas the others are 5.2x eve the Palm verision is higher. Lets have a sweep stake and guest which will be the next update mmmmh 5.3/4 for GO ? ?

As yet I've not managed to get the Navigate to, in Contacts to work, and the map data is a poor show.
Crocodile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why take the bus when you've got a car sponsored by "You Know Who"? Rolling Eyes
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:48 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why take the bus when you've got a car sponsored by "You Know Who"?

Quote:
Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:47 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>maybe even 150% if the reviewer actually takes the product out of the box <

I think the effect of the bus that leaves from Victoria to Amsterdam every weekend has a lot to answer for. Being taken to review TomTom x.x during a "gentleman's smoking weekend" may, ahem, cloud one's judgement

guys if you have something to say say it dont hint at it pls
yes we do work with tomtom on certain levels as we do with most software houses but that in no way affected any of the tests done on this site

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car is sponsored by TomTom, Memory-Map, Race FX and Ride-On Essex. Not just TomTom. This is my personal car which we had sponsored in order to kit is out with Navigation equipment to test and to be used at various events.

Sure we go to the TomTom offices. We also go to see NavMan, CoPilot, Destinator, NavTeq, TeleAtlas, and numerous other GPS companies. I assume nobody objects to us finding out what is going on in the GPS industry and trying to make things better.

I personally resent the twisted implication that drugs may have any involvement with any member of the team here. We spend on a voluntary basis, significant amounts of our spare time, fitting in with our day jobs in an effort to bring you unbiased reviews, news, camera database, POIs etc.

Please feel free to air your views about TomTom and your perceptions about the lack of caring for their customer base. But I suggest that you take a deep breath and think before upsetting the contributors to this site.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Ipaq 2210 PDA, a BT338 GPS receiver, TT5.01 and checkpoint 5.02 and all runs perfectly. To me its not a toy but an essential piece of equipment in my job. It has never froze or let me down once. I have used it at home and on the continent and the results have all been the same. Great. The opposition doesn’t even come close. I admit that I would be cheesed off if it didn’t run on my equipment but I don’t think I would make snidy remarks about people on this forum.
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, that reminds me that at lunchtime I saw a small Toyota hatchback with a giant plastic TT Go on the roof parked outside the Freemasons' Grand Lodge in Covent Garden - it is a conspiracy I tell you!
neutron
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand why anyone would buy one of those "GO" things.
I'm ready to jump ship over this TTN5 debacle just as soon as funds permit and there's a viable alternative - it's only a matter of time
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree - they have always looked very over priced and under featured to me - but hey - they seem to sell. What do I know anyway? If I was designing an MP3 player I certainly wouldn't make it look like an ugly white brick.
Parky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
guys if you have something to say say it dont hint at it pls
yes we do work with tomtom on certain levels as we do with most software houses but that in no way affected any of the tests done on this site

Guys, lets not knock the people who run this site, my gripe is with Tom Tom. The people at Pocket GPS do an excellent job, in their own time to keep this site No 1. Well done one and all. Clap
Lennart
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To go back to the original post

Does anyone have any indication on when a new bug-fix will be released?

/Lennart

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: