Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is integrated PDA more robust than serial GPS?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is integrated PDA more robust than serial GPS?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
floepie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Is integrated PDA more robust than serial GPS? Reply with quote

I've pretty much have ruled out a bluetooth enabled PPC solution, as I find them quite finicky - not all software seems to play nicely with the ubiquitous Widcomm stack.

In any case, I'm attracted to the integrated PPC solution, however, it seems the field is limited and the units a bit on the high side. But, I'd like a robust connection that will never (well, almost) fail between the software and the GPS unit. I'm wondering if the serial GPS mice might offer as robust of a connection as the integrated GPS receivers do.

The mice would then free up the PPC purchase. But, although as trivial as it may seem, I don't want to have to select a device in some sort of browser every time I start a nav app on the PPC. I just want to associate one of the buttons with the nav app and push it to activate it - that's it.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the bt stacks do seems to be more robust than they used to be or it could just be me id say go for bluetooth

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you are up and running with the BT units they are fine, but I personally prefer the wired serial connected GPS unit in the car, the BT unit is reserved for the baseball cap when out walking. I have just found its far quicker to dump the PDA in the cradle, connect the cable (which you need to charge the PDA anyway) and away you go - everyone is different on the issue of cabled vs BT - I use both but for differing situations - at the end of the day its what suits the individual that counts either way will work - Mike
floepie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments... I do have a BT CF card and BT EMTAC GPS right now, but the card runs Widcomm 1.4 (an old stack I guess). The connection drops from time to time on my old Axim, and furthermore, when I start the nav app, it requires me to select which GPS device in a "BT browser", even though they're paired. Sometimes it connects on the first try, sometimes not.

First, are the newer stacks such that an app is automatically associated with a BT device so I can simply start the nav app and that's it?

Secondly, you mention that you like the serial GPS unit b/c "you need to connect the cable anyway". So, are the power cable and the GPS mouse going into the PDA with the same cord by means of a Y-adapter of some sort? Or, are you saying that b/c you need to connect the power, you might as well connet the mouse as well while you're at it?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

floepie wrote:
you like the serial GPS unit b/c "you need to connect the cable anyway". So, are the power cable and the GPS mouse going into the PDA with the same cord by means of a Y-adapter of some sort? Or, are you saying that b/c you need to connect the power, you might as well connet the mouse as well while you're at it?

I find I need power to the PDA to keep it working while running the TT software (on long runs) so it needs plugging in to the power, this comes through the Y addaptor and powers the GPS, at the same time through the same connection to the PDA the NMEA data flows to give you the GPS based position. Mike
floepie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, just so I get this straight - once you establish which com port to your serial GPS for the first time, that's it, right? You can just start the app on your PPC from then on and off you go? Thanks...
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is all I do - dock the unit with the cable and fire up TT - the rest runs on auto. I just think its easier to do than my experiance with the BT device. I still use the BT device for walking with the Memory Map software - but in the car its a pain - Mike
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are only going to use the GPS in the car the a Wired connection is the best option (due to the fact you can’t get any more reliable than a physical connection). If you require using the GPS outside the car i would recommend Bluetooth over CF or SDIO based units, reason being if you use them in the car and don’t get the best signal you are limited to where you can put them unless you get an external antenna. The new Sirf 111 GPS units are the way forward for GPS, you can hide them very easily in the car if you are security conscious.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: