Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Streetpilot i3 - Software Enhancement Requests
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Streetpilot i3 - Software Enhancement Requests
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danoli
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
danoli wrote:
The moving pointer would not really be possible as the scroll wheel is up down only so you would not be able to move left or right with it

scroll wheel = up/down
press 'power' button (that has no other function at any point and is pretty redundant unless you hold it down for 2 secs) to switch between horizontal / vertical movement with wheel.

it can be done, just depends whether garmin want to ;) they may leave it out to persuade people to upgrade to their higher model

MaFt

I think we all agree it would be possible, but I really cannot see Garmin fudging controls to give a little more function.

Firstly, TomTom would have a field day criticising at the i3 method of navigation and I could see this being a negative point in furure i3 reviews. I could imagine the following:

"Great unit but what a Garmin playing at, why didn't thy just design a cursor instead of a wheel that you have to fumble with to change orientation of the wheel direction......"

As for using the power button as a function, again I seriously doublt this. Firstly, the power buttons on Garmins are just that, I am not aware of another unit made by Garmin that utilises the powere button as an additional function button. Also, the power button is documented as a power button only, finally, the power button has the classic power but icon on it.

It could however be done using the menu button. but I cant see it happening. I am not being awkward, just viewing it from a marketing point of view. Rolling Eyes
dougconran
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are you guys saying 'that's it. Garmin have designed the perfect Sat Nav system and it can't be bettered - ever'?

Good job Karl Benz didn't think he'd invented the perfect car, huh (unless you're a Greenie, of course)

Doug
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine came with anti-reflecting screen. well, actually, it had the protecive film (and still has) and i've not had any problems with reflections... Laughing
danoli
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dougconran wrote:
So are you guys saying 'that's it. Garmin have designed the perfect Sat Nav system and it can't be bettered - ever'?
Doug

No?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danoli wrote:

It could however be done using the menu button. but I cant see it happening. I am not being awkward, just viewing it from a marketing point of view. Rolling Eyes

i never said it SHOULD be done, i was merely pointing out that it would be possible to do after someone said it was impossible ;)

it's fine as it is anyway! if i knew the exact point i needed to click on after putting in the postcode then i'd actually be able to find the place when it got me near anyway thus defeating the object of having sat-nav...

we all have eyes (if not, why are you driving a car?!) andthese are an integral part of using a sat-nav system - they're not infallible, we still need to use common sense and a bit of our own judgement!
danoli
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="MaFt"]
danoli wrote:

we all have eyes (if not, why are you driving a car?!)

I thought that is why they developed voice prompts.... Smile
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danoli wrote:

I thought that is why they developed voice prompts.... Smile

... hmmm ...
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

50 love

next service..............................
dougconran
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to be a bit of a wet rag here but I think the original idea of the thread was a great one and we are rather losing sight of that.

Firstly, I think the i3 is a cracking little unit and, as far as size is concerned (I never did believe that size mattered Sad ) it is much better than the TTG or PDAs or, indeed, the other Garmin units. I also agree that Garmin have done an amazing job in being able to sell at the price that they do (long may it continue) but I still think that there are some improvements that can be made. Maybe these improvements will lead to an increase in cost, maybe not, if they do then maybe Garmin can offer a basic and de luxe version. I don't know. All I know is that if we don't give any feedback at all to Garmin then we are definitely not going to see any changes.

All this is is a wishlist, Garmin can decide whether it is worth pursuing.

Sorry for my rant, guys, but I think the thread was a good idea.

Doug
jaypee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about an option to re route if you don't move for a period of time? (with various levels of detour) or to review a route and re calculate avoiding a certain stretch of road?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaypee wrote:
What about an option to re route if you don't move for a period of time? (with various levels of detour) or to review a route and re calculate avoiding a certain stretch of road?

there's an option of 'detour' - i've not used it yet but it makes a slightly different route for you. just press the menu/arrow button and select the detour option.

like i say, i don't know by how much it will detour you but i presume it's to get you out of a traffic jam?

MaFt
jaypee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the option, but never gone for it.

It says in the manual about adding a detour that:

'The streetpilot also attempts to get you back on the original route as soon as possible'

...sometimes you just know that you'd be better off with a totally new route

ALSO

I know its been said before, but I won't let that stop me sayng it aswell - Many thanks for the POIs MaFt.
Jaz666
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaypee wrote:
What about an option to re route if you don't move for a period of time?

The new Magellan (760?) has this feature, sounds very useful, but could get annoying in a long tailback!
Trajet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like an AVOID function. For example; I know that there is roadworks on my way to work. If the function AVOID could be used for a strech of road then the i3 could work out a more suitable journey from home which might at first glance seem 'the long way round' but in fact be quicker than finding a detour that tries to get you back on the original route. :D Mind you for £200 it's a great piece of kit. :D :D :D
Cuppa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad we're back on topic after my holiday (i3 got me there and back no probs) :D

Thread was setup for 'software requests'. I've e-mailed a couple in to Garmin and here's the reply I got. If genuinely meant then I guess we can hope based on these...

Quote:
The highest complement a customer can give a company is to be concerned enough to offer suggestions for improvement of a product. We appreciate you comments & opinions regarding our products.

I have forwarded your email to the design team as they are always interested on customer feedback. Many of the comments/suggestions we receive (such as yours) are often evaluated towards potential implementation into future GARMIN products or current unit software releases.
[/quote]

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 2 of 14

Jump to: