Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - If not Co-Pilot....what?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

If not Co-Pilot....what?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekFKS85
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: If not Co-Pilot....what? Reply with quote

I, like so many others on here, am a bit frustrated with Co-Pilot. It's basically good and wouldn't take much to sort but ALK's lack of response is making me think about replacing it. I have a the Mitac MIO 168 package and would like to keep the hardware and load "better" software....so which one? Sad
Northernbloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't matter what you buy - all sat nav products have varying levels of bugs and problems - some of it is down to the duff map data supplied by navteq and co, some of it is genuine bugs.

The thing that sets them apart is the levels of customer support.

Personally I'd either stick with CP5 and learn to live with the problems - there aren't that many major ones and keep your fingers crossed for a free or exceptionally cheep upgrade to CP6 when it is released - hey we can dream can't we? oalternatively TomTom5 - still has a few bugs, but is really nice to use specially on a VGA PDA and there is a steady stream of fixes and upgrades to it.

Regards,

Northernbloke
Bazzer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what Northernbloke says. I am an ex-CPL5 users due to 4 months complete frustration with it, and a total lack of support.

Been using TT5 for the last 2 months, and while it's not perfect, it is infinitely better tnan CoPilot. I'm a much happier GPS bunny nowadays.

Baz
Garmin Montana 650
Garmin Oregon 45oT
Garmin Edge 1000
Tracklogs Digital Mapping
DerekFKS85
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gents.

How much is TT5 software, will it be OK on my Mio and where do I get it from?
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also find it surprising that people who think that TT5 is infinitely better than CP5 are still browsing this forum. However much better they think that TT5 is, they obviously aren't that content with it, and still see a potential for CP to overtake TT again. I can only hope that they're right.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
Seidio G2500 Amplified Vent Mount
CoPilot 6, GPS Tuner 4.2, Navio 3.01
BMW 330ci Sport
DerekFKS85
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having thought hard about it, I am going to stick to CP5. I can live with the bugs for now and surely they will be working on fixes as we speak ready for CP6?!
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working on fixes? We have been waiting a year for them to fix even the simple bugs in this software. And a year is a lifetime in the software business. CoPilot could have been a good product if ALK had just gotten off their arses and sorted out it's problems and given it some support.

But there's no point talking about what could have been - the likes of TomTom and Garmin are making major inroads into the market and CoPilot is left behind with it's buggy software, missing features (ie traffic integration) and now out-of-date maps. Given their track record, I would need a very good reason to give ALK any more of my money for an upgrade. :x
gripp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm another one who bought CoPilot after a glowing report on this site, but have since moved to TomTom5 which I now much prefer.

It is far more configurable and fun to play with, and has many more add-ons and third party utilities.

The main shortcoming is that TT5 is unable to plan itineraries unless you have a GPS signal. CPL5 allows itinerary planning mode without the need for a signal.

However, TT5 is much slower at getting a GPS fix than CPL5, and is more prone to losing fixes. Occasionally I go back to using CPL5, which I still have on my Mitac as a "backup", but soon revert to TT5 with it's better interface, configurable menus, configurable voices etc etc
DerekFKS85
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies again chaps.

From what I am very quickly gathering, I think you could probably make one reasonable product from the good bits of CP5 and TT5!

How much would I have to pay for TT5 and can it be bought 2nd hand and the license transferred?
Bazzer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iankb, you ask why ex-CP5 users are still browsing this forum. I can't answer for anyone else, but I can assure you that it's not in the vain hope that ALK have fixed their flawed software. Far from it. I would not buy anything from ALK again, no matter how good CP6 may be.

Having used CP5 for 4 months, I am still genuinely interested to see if there are any postive developments, and whether users are still experiencing the same problems.

Unlike Gripp, I can no longer use CP5 (and do not wish to), as I sent the whole package back to my retailer, having deleted everything off my PC & PPC.

As I said, TT5 is not perfect, but I haven't found myself screaming at my PPC calling it a useless piece of junk, as I did regularly with CoPilot.

It's up to everyone to make their own informed decision which system to buy, and I only wish I had been better informed before buying CP5 rather than relying on the wildly inaccurate review on this site.

Baz
Garmin Montana 650
Garmin Oregon 45oT
Garmin Edge 1000
DerekFKS85
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't mean for this thread to end up like so many others in an argument! I am finding this forum most useful and

All I want is some advice from you guys who know lots more than I do!

Anyway................can I purchase TT5 second hand and have the license transferred?!

(I'm not angry.....honest)

Derek.
Bazzer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Derek

As far as I am aware (and I stand to be corrected), I do not believe that you can transfer the licence to another user.

When I registered my TT5 I got an activation code. This, I think is unique to myself and cannot be transferred. If I had a problem with my PPC and had to re-install TT5 I think that I can apply for a new activation code, but you almost need a letter from the Pope to get one.

So, I would not recommend buying a dodgy one off eBay.

I don't know how much you want to spend, but have a look at .... http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/viewprod.php?flt=soft&category_id=194&vt=list&hp=TomTom%2Ccategory_id%3D194&product_id=3676

Hope this helps.

Baz
[/url]
Garmin Montana 650
Garmin Oregon 45oT
Garmin Edge 1000
DerekFKS85
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Bazzer.

I hear tell of CP6 evolving! I think instead of spending money on TT5 I'll put up with the bugs and upgrade when it EVENTUALLY gets released!

Thanks again.
Mikeact
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: TT5 Reply with quote

I have yet to leave home without the road atlas in the boot. I can't summon up the courage !
Northernbloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@iankb - I'm not exactly an EX-CP5 user - I still have a bought and paid for copy of CP5 and should ALK ever sort out the problems that made me purchase a different package - or even add the features they claimed to provide when i purchased it then i would return to using it more regularly. I keep popping in here to see if there are any updates or other useful information about CP5 that may help me when i use it. Until that day then unfortunately for ALK my money is serving their competitors very nicely.

@DerekFKS85 - just beware that ALK have a proven track record of claiming to provide features in their products and failing to provide them, Personally I'd be in no rush at all to be one of the first CP6 users until it's proven to do "exactly what it says on the tin" to coin a phrase. And even then now i've shelled out on TT5 then it would need to be one heck of a better package to persuade me to shift back to CP

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: