Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GARMIN i3 ??Intermittent Sateliite Reception??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GARMIN i3 ??Intermittent Sateliite Reception??
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joolz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re my post above - It seems that it mustve been the windscreen..

What does the aerial look like??
When you say youve fixed it to the roof is it sitting inside or outside the car???
Sorry a bot green to all of this>>>> Rolling Eyes
FriendlyBloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The aerial is about the size of a 50p piece, but square. I have fitted it on the front corner of the roof magnetically (passenger side) with about 1 inch of lead showing. This is on the exterior. Its then thread down the gasket lining between the windscreen and passenger door and then runs into the interior. Works great and discreet.
daveangel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joolz wrote:
I am driving a zafira- BIG problems with sat reception- anyone els got problems with zafira and i3??? I've no heated windscreen.

Hi there I to am unfortunate enough to own a Zafira. I bought a Streetpilot today and with some advice off my friend We found that if you attach the suction cup to the small window at the side of the dashboard and turn the streetpilot so that it faces you. I get 3 Bars on the signal and it seems to work fine......

I hope this helps you .....
Dave
Gambler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FriendlyBloke wrote:
The aerial is about the size of a 50p piece, but square. I have fitted it on the front corner of the roof magnetically (passenger side) with about 1 inch of lead showing. This is on the exterior. Its then thread down the gasket lining between the windscreen and passenger door and then runs into the interior. Works great and discreet.

Thanks mate, bit I won't be getting one as not prepared to stick anything on car exterior.

With the road angel you can put the antenna on the rear parcel shelf and it works. I was hoping you could do the same with this.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joolz wrote:
I am driving a zafira- BIG problems with sat reception- anyone els got problems with zafira and i3??? I've no heated windscreen.

Zafira's have a heat reflecting windscreen, you need an outside aerial or put the aerial behind the rear view mirror where there is an area on windscreen without the heat reflecting coating.
Gambler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to say thanks to the guys on this thread for their advice re: aerial.

I bought one off Ebay for £12 as a I have a clio with a UV screen. Have mounted the i3 in the bottom right hand corner of the windscreen.

Plugged in the aerial and have it running to the centre of the dash so thwe antenna is pointing through the small rectangle at the bottom of screen.

3/4 bars every time and works perfetly.

Thanks again
rother
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gambler
can you post where you bought the aerial

many thanks
Gambler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rother wrote:
Gambler
can you post where you bought the aerial

many thanks

Item number: 5822213558
jog_on
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: External antenna Reply with quote

Gambler wrote:
Funnily enough, I have a clio and the reception is intermittent, which seems to cause a few problems with navigation (but im sure this would apply to any sat nav??). Still awaiting antenna from ebay, and will keep you posted about performance. Everything is trial and error at the moment but I am sure that I will soon have a consistent and accurate sat nav experience. No regrets with purchasing i3, just need patience and fine tuning...............

Any luck yet, which clio do you have?[/quote]

Isn't there a square shaped patch on the middle/bottom of clio windscreen for mounting of aerials/gps? Majority of clios have this small area where the screen is not solar coated to enable you to use such devices unhindered.
rother
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gambler can you pm his email address i dont want to register with ebay again to many duff emails
FriendlyBloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: External antenna Reply with quote

jog_on wrote:

Isn't there a square shaped patch on the middle/bottom of clio windscreen for mounting of aerials/gps? Majority of clios have this small area where the screen is not solar coated to enable you to use such devices unhindered.

Yes there is a square patch, but it doesn't work effectively. You can get reception in a clio, but it keeps going and i3 becomes unreliable, hence the original post. Shame you have to resort to an antenna if you're a clio owner Confused
jog_on
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly is a shame. So many new cars have the heat reflective screens now it must be a hinderance to a lot of people having to mess about fitting external antennas.
gonor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a thought, but couldnt the external reciever be nicely hidden down where the wipers live?
not a problem for me, but may well buy one just to see if there is a differance.
all in all its a cracking bit of kit.
m623d
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a zafira and I place my GPS receiver near the small side windows on the dash. never have a problem with reception.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: