Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CheckPOInt intermittent operation
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CheckPOInt intermittent operation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leon_Jabachjabic
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: CheckPOInt intermittent operation Reply with quote

Hi everyone

I have CheckPOInt v 3.2 running on an O2 XdaII with TTN3. It is set up to start TTN3 via CheckPOInt on a hardware button and to shut down TTN3 when exiting CheckPOInt. I have loaded up-to-date versions of the Pocket GPS World safety camera database, with only the 'exceeding speed limit' audio warnings enabled. I particularly like the fact that these warnings still sound when the TTN3 audio is off (which in my case is most of the time).

In the past few weeks, I have noticed that more often than not, the flag indicating the presence of a camera does not appear on the screen. I have tested the system by approaching a camera facing in the opposite direction a couple of mph over the limit and there is no audio either. The flashing CheckPOInt icon is always present (as it ought to be, because I always start TTN3 through CheckPOInt via the assigned hardware button) and whether or not the XdaII has recently been soft reset appears to make little or no difference.

Other times, however, it works faultlessly - sometimes for several trips in a row.

Has anyone else encountered this phenomenon? Is there a fix?

Cheers all

Leon 8)
Leon_Jabachjabic
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again everyone

Well, you've hardly all been beating path to my door to offer advice! However, I've still got the same problem, although now I've devised a workaround. If there is anyone else out there with the same issue, this may help...

First, before anyone asks, YES, I uninstalled and then reinstalled CheckPOInt (from the saved download on my PC). The first time that I started CheckPOInt, all was OK. The second time, it failed to work again.

So next I not only deleted CheckPOInt from my PDA, I also downloaded it again from the link on this site and reinstalled it 'fresh'. It failed to work even the first time I used it.

Now since my original post, I have discovered a way to figure out, before setting off, whether CheckPOInt is going to work: and this leads to a workaround that can be completed within the time that it takes the GPS to get even a 'warm' fix. If I click on the 'road sign' CheckPOInt icon in the extreme bottom right of the screen and select 'Overlay Settings', I get a screen which shows (from left to right): a 'plus' (i.e. folder is expandable) icon; a folder icon; and the folder title, which in my case is 'Not synchronized', since I dowload my camera POIs from this site, not the CheckPOInt dedicated site (POIplace?).

If the 'plus' icon is missing, (just leaving the three dots leading up to the folder icon and then the remainder of the line as described) then CheckPOInt will not work until it is reinitialised. There seems to be nothing that can be done about this.

Now to the workaround. There is no need to shut down and restart TTN. Just open the CheckPOInt menu by clicking on its icon (bottom right) and choose 'exit'.

Now drop down the TTN menu from the 'down arrow' (top left) and click on the Windows pennant icon. If you have done this recently, CheckPOInt will appear on the main menu that comes up. If not, click 'Programs', navigate to the CheckPOInt icon and restart CheckPOInt that way.

Check the overlay settings again to ensure that the 'plus' sign is now visible. If it is, CheckPOInt will now work as advertised. If not, shut it down and restart it again as previously described (I have never yet had to repeat the restart more than once to get it going). The funny thing is, CheckPOInt always seems initialise fine when the PDA is in its cradle - I just wish it could reproduce that in the car!

A pain, perhaps: but better than three points on your licence, I would suggest?

Leon

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: