Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - I have an etrex - want to use it on the Road with my Laptop
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

I have an etrex - want to use it on the Road with my Laptop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:21 am    Post subject: I have an etrex - want to use it on the Road with my Laptop Reply with quote

Hello

Thanks for taking the time to help a newbie. I'm a quick learner, so I wont take up much of your time.

I was given an Garmin Etrex about a year ago. I've used it twice while camping/hiking. I have a lot of tech goodies, but have never jumped into the GPS stuff. I live in a large city where public transportation is the standard. When I drive, it normally to a location a few hours away. I always bring my laptop with my in the car and use it for audio listening selection.

Last weekend I started to ponder the idea of brining my etrex along on the trips. I'd like to attach it to my laptop and run a navigation software such as Microsoft Streets while I drive. It would be more for entertainment then actual navigation so I'm not looking to spend a lot of extra money.

I have done some research but still have a few questions. They are:
1. Are the only additions I need to purchase be a PC-interface cable and mapping software?
2. Is there a cheaper PC interface care instead of the 40 dollar one Garmin offers - say a off brand or OEM cable that may be 1/2 the price?
3. What mapping software would you recommend? I travel on large main roads to common destinations. I'd like it to use minmum resources on my laptop. I'd also like it to give voice directions.
4. Are there any peices of advice you may offer a newbie?

Thank you in advance for your help.
AGG
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums.

3) You will want to use a Netropa clone - something like Intellinav iGuidance. It's reasonable small and performant, and not too expensive. It's also waaaay better than Streets & Trips etc.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know your location but this place does them and their very helpful
! http://gpsbitz.co.uk/gpsbitz_store/index.php?cat_id=4&catname='eTrex,%20eMap%20&%20Geko%20CABLES%20'
Dave
agg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

I found ebay offered some great prices on the cables. I found the interface cable/cig power cord combo for 17 dollars shipped - instead of 50 through other online retailers.

I looked into intellanav as you suggested. It looks nice. Since it will be for entertainment more then actual directions, I think I might try something that has a few more features. If I decide to go basic, intellanav seems liek the way to go.

Are there any key software titles or additions I should add to my laptop for kicks while on the road?

Thanks
AGG

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: