Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - loosing sat nav
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

loosing sat nav

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grayus
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: loosing sat nav Reply with quote

morning all.
Having had my tom tom 5 now for two weeks I am begining to find out its strengths and weakness.I do not know if any one else has experienced this if I set my destination in the car with the engine off but with the Ipaq 2210 powered up, wait for the sats to kick in so that my journey is planned, I then start the car only to find that I have lost the sats .and if I drive off it takes an age before they kick in again.it seems that I have to set up my journey with my engine running,any advice on this one guys or gals. many thanks for your time.
Gram..
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you running the iPaq and GPS receiver off the car's cigarette lighter socket? It could be that your car has a safety feature like mine does which cuts power to accessories when the starter motor is engaged (to avoid the danger of electrical spikes destroying equipment). This could mean that the GPS position has to be reacquired whenever the engine is started. This happens in my car, but doesn't cause me a problem as the reacquisition only takes a few seconds.
7andy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit that I do not connect my PDA to the car's 12v until the engine is running. I run the PDA off it's own battery beforehand, then connect it up when the engine is running.
grayus
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: loosing sat nav Reply with quote

Thanks guys yep I am running it of the cigar lighter,I am glad that I am not the only one with this prob, but I would have thought in this electronic age the the odd second it takes to fire up the engine could be covered with a small capacitor to hold the voltage in the PDA rather than loose the sats.I am pleased that yours takes only a few seconds to power up again Kam . my Rikline 6010 doesnt half take its time .
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it matters whether the PDA loses external power as it does have its own battery power source which should keep things running. I believe your Rikaline 6010 should also have an internal battery in order to remember where it was when it last had a fix so that it should not have to keep doing cold starts. It sounds as though that it may be faulty.
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kartracer wrote:
I don't think it matters whether the PDA loses external power as it does have its own battery power source which should keep things running. I believe your Rikaline 6010 should also have an internal battery in order to remember where it was when it last had a fix so that it should not have to keep doing cold starts. It sounds as though that it may be faulty.

If it is a bluetooth setup then it's not a problem. However if he's using a wired GPS then this requires external power from the cig lighter before it will work. So yes, I guess starting the engine would knock it off, so to speak.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: