Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 910 alternatives for North America and European mapping?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

910 alternatives for North America and European mapping?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazzist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: 910 alternatives for North America and European mapping? Reply with quote

Dear All,

I am looking for a new sat nav device, and would like one with European and North American (including Canada) maps.

I've read about all the problems with the 910, but can't find an alternative all in one unit. I don't want a PDA, I've just sold mine recently, I'd prefer a more integrated solution, preferably with a bluetooth car kit (but this isn't essential).

The Nuvi looks great, but is only available with Uk maps (£250) or European maps (£350), but for the price of the 910 I could almost buy the north american nuvi AND the european one!?

I've just got a Garmin 60csx at work, I could borrow this when I need it for navigation. But I would prefer to have a dedicated unit with voice prompts, especially as that is what I am used to and I have a bit of money having sold my PDA. And.. the garmin map dvd's are nearly as expensive (city navigator, etc) as a sat nav unit.

If you know of any alternatives or have any thoughts please let me know.

thanks.

hmm... just found this..
"Yes, you can use both European and US maps at the same time. You can get the nuvi with one map set pre-loaded, and then add additional maps on a removable SD card.

I don’t know how the price differs for the unit between the US and European version, but Garmin sells the US map set for about $150, and the full European set for $420, so it seems you’d be better off buying the European unit and adding the US maps on the memory card."
at
http://www.37signals.com/svn/archives2/garmin_nuvi_350_insanely_recommended.php

could be interesting!! ?
PatC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: 910 alternatives for North America and European mapping? Reply with quote

jazzist wrote:
hmm... just found this..
"Yes, you can use both European and US maps at the same time. You can get the nuvi with one map set pre-loaded, and then add additional maps on a removable SD card.

That sounds like a good solution. Note that the 360 is available now, but is more expensive that the price you quote above, which is presumably for the 350. The only difference is bluetooth, now that Garmin have released an update for the previous models.

I agree that the nuvi is much better than the TTG in terms of portability, but from what I've read there are a number of downsides compared to the TTG - e.g. the smaller speaker (with less volume and sound quality), the 3D screen scrolling is not as smooth, and the autozoom seems to have attracted a lot of criticism. It is also apparently less configurable. On the other hand, the Navteq mapping seems to be widely regarded as better than TeleAtlas, particularly in the US.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: