Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTG Security Concerns
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTG Security Concerns
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HOG
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only ever put my TTG in the car when I know I am going to use it, othewrwise it lives at home.

I bought the security bag which appeared on a previous post on this site and used it for a while but then thought maybe the gits will trash my car trying to get the bag out.

So seeing as I always have my backpack with me when I use the TTG I remove unit and mount and carry it in my bag, not exactly heavy.

Anyone who leaves the mount on show or leaves the unit in the car I am sorry to say is asking for it. It is the sad world we live in.

I do agree thought that TT should have been more responsible and made more of an effort regarding security.
tals
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Anyone who leaves the mount on show or leaves the unit in the car I am sorry to say is asking for it. It is the sad world we live in.

That is such a terrible state of affairs - these idiots change your life. We should be working on prevention rather than allowing that to be the case. If tom tom put a bit of effort into it or the police more work on there databases and such like - that is the way to go. You'll never get a foolproof way but these units quite frankly are not designed to be carryed around.

Take where it was stolen from. An amusement carpark - 2 hours away from home so yes it was needed - but tbh I like it on anyway Smile That amusement park you take rides where you leave your bag unattended - odds on it getting stolen from there rather than in the car? The shape is suck that on one particular ride I can see no way you could actually take it on.

I was looking in comet in prep for the replacement - it is such a shame that Garmin don't have a touch screen version - there units are much better size and shape.

Tals
mayor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: STOLEN AGAIN ... and again..sorry i did not listen ! Reply with quote

ok dare i say it... we were ALL warned! In fact i have warned all of my friends with Tom Tom Go ....

Well....... I took the car ...my STUPID BRAND NEW XC 90 which is less than a week old, to B and Q....only to find that some F****N A** hole had smashed the winsdscreen. I have a spare docking station for the TTG always on display and so was relieved to some extent thatthe TTG was not in the car - well at least that's what i thought, until I got home and my wife told me that it was and she forgot to take it out ofthe glove box !!!! :-((

So the moral of the story is that displaying the TTG Holder or base is a sure sign that you MAY have one in the car and so PLEASE BEWARE and take it completely down.

TOM TOM PLEASE START A STOLEN REGISTER OR HAVE A PASSWORD ENTRY SYSTEM FOR THE TTG..... WHEN WILL YOU LISTEN... this is not he first time and will not be the last ! WHY CANT WE DEACTIVATE THE TTG WITH ITS SERIAL NUMBER via the GPS SYSTEM ??

oh well... Thank God that I am in one piece - the screw driver that did the damage to my car could have done the damage to me... sorry all, i had to let off some steam... hey btw, i lost my 256mb card as well !!!! :-(((
HOG
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree that TT should be doing more, they are quick enough to stop us using ripped of maps so why not secure the damn things.

I am not blaming you for getting your kit nicked, just pointing out that like it or not that is the world we live in and to advertise a the gits that there maybe £400+ of goodies to be had is not the way to go.
flylikeahandbag
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Security may be quite easy to achieve on the 300 and 500. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you simply remove the SD card the device becomes useless, unless you have the original maps that match the activation code, even if maps from another device are attempted to be used with it., they are no good without the activation code.

So by removing the SD card each time you leave the unit in your vehicle (unit hidden off course) and place in your pocket/ purse for safe keeping until you return to your vehicle (make sure u keep a copy of the card contents at home in case you lose it). No need for complex pins or work by TTG to implement anything.

As for the 700 (this would need work from TTG), but this could be achieved by the use of a SD card as a key to the unit.

Just my thoughts anyway.
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope, the original cards work with any GO
flylikeahandbag
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Maybe I have misunderstood the the purpose of the activation code then. What is its purpose and what's to stop me copying and selling the maps I already have?
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah-ha! you see, copied cards don't work on other devices
flylikeahandbag
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your losing me now.

So how does it know its a copied card?
And you are saying any original card will work in the device, but a copied card won't?
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An original card will work on any device, but the copy of this original will only work with the device the original card has been used with. As for "how it knows" - I haven't got a clue, I'm not a software engineer.
flylikeahandbag
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha Stop it!

OK so in essence its better than nothing.

Make a backup of the original and keep the original in a safe place. Use the copy and remove it from the device when left in the vehicle. The only way a thief could then use it (should the your unit be stolen) would be to obtain a TTG original card, more hassle for the thief.

Better than nothing I suppose or too much hassle?

Maybe TTG could close this loop so each card you use needs to be registered to the unit via the activation code. (maybe this could be too easily hacked though).
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure TT will come up with something. Very sure. Practically bloody certain.
fatmanscoop
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep and pigs fly....i was told this when the scum bags stole my tt classic in july so i live in hope... :P Rolling Eyes

Liverpool F.C rocks
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wanna bet? Laughing
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eldar wrote:
wanna bet? Laughing

Come on, all he's got left is hope. :D

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: