Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Question about ARKON mount and wired GPS receiver
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about ARKON mount and wired GPS receiver

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Androo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Question about ARKON mount and wired GPS receiver Reply with quote

Hi,
I use an IPAQ and a Altina BT708 GPS unit which seems to be a copy of the HOLUX GR-201 for all intents and purposes. The bluetooth on this device has packed in and in any case i've decided I'd like to use it wired, for various reasons of convienience. I'm considering buying an ARKON powered mount if it will allow me to power the GPS and the IPAQ AND if it will provided the data link between the GPS and the IPAQ - does anyone know if this is possible?

If not, does anyone know the answer to this: The GPS has a USB data connection, the IPAQ has a USB data connection, can I plug one into t'other and expect them to communicate? Or will this upset/fry the ipaq/gps? (I'm considering making my own cable for the job which will power both units and provide the data link if the ARKON won't do the job).

Andrew
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't work, the IPAQ gas a serial port and the GPS unit a USB port - even with a home made addaptor you won' t get any data, the USB connection on the Altina will work via a laptop when conected to a normal USB port - I have tried and it works well. But a laptop in a car is a pain and costly device when it goes flying off the seat - Mike
Androo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought a cable was available to use the Altina GBT-708 as a wired GPS receiver?

The Altina GBT-708 seems to be a clone of the HOLUX 231 - do you know if it is exactly the same Mike? I'm sure HOLUX do a cable to go from 231 to IPAQ to use it as a wired GPS receiver, i've thought about buying one of their cables and trying it with the Altina.

If my bluetooth's packed up and I can't wire my Altina to my IPAQ then I need a new GPS unit right? Surely not......
Androo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correction - Altina GBT-708 appears to be a clone of HOLUX 230, not HOLUX 231....... :D
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only cable I have seen is mini USB to USB A style female - if others exist then I am not aware of them - and am not too sure it would work, as the data is sent out USB format and not serial which is what the receptor needs, if all else fails and you want to go with a cabled device then why not purchase a wired GPS unit they are considerably cheaper in price and in my opinion easier (quicker) to connect and sync with - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: