Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin I3 post code search
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin I3 post code search
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GetMeThere
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can enter 0 as a street number. That seems to take you to the middle of a postcode area.
KINH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried searching on a 1 or 0 , however the presumption here is that the location is actually on the end of a street which may not actually be the case.
I had hoped that by putting a 1 or 0 in a list of relevant addresses may appear and i would be able to scroll and pick to my hearts content. This appears to work ok for private residences but not shops etc.
Maybe there is no option for this, but i work for a company which has a postcode based search engine and this has no problems pulling up all avavilable options including buisnesses when you enter a postcode.
Maybe i'm expecting too much, but often these are the places you need to find Sad
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but once you find a road it's not hard to find a shop, is it?

gps sat nav is useful, but you still need to use your eyes a bit...
KINH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry MaFt, but that would really depend on how long the road was & how many shops were on it !!!!!!!
My point being that the postcode software could be far more in depth than it currently is.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the road was so long that it didn't warrant driving along to find the shop, then chances are there'd be more than one postcode for it. you could always phone the shop, or look online to get their full address including number?

if it was on a big row of shops then chances are you'd have to drive away to park up in which case you'd be walking to find it again.

just my opinion though Smile

MaFt
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt's right ..once you find a road surely finding a shop or retail is'nt going to be that much harder...anyway £199 for what the i3 does is a bargain
KINH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just like to think that i have got what i paid for.
When something claims to have full postcode search it should therefore by definition be capable of doing just that.
I think that this is a great little unit & surpasses my expectations in many areas, i just like things to do 'what it says on the tin'.
Call me pedantic but i also like my car to be capable of over 100mph despite the fact i rarely do it, just simply because it says it can.
I guess i was just hoping that it could do more than it actually can, sorry guys/gals i have obviously hit a sore note by being negative. Twisted Evil
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KINH...no sore note hit mate and we appreciate your comments.. you are entitled to your opinion as we all are, this is what the forum's for.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KINH wrote:
When something claims to have full postcode search it should therefore by definition be capable of doing just that.

no sore note hit mate, just trying to reason with ya!! Laughing Out Loud

anyway, it DOES have full postcode search. it will find an address using the postcode. you can't however find a house number with a postcode - you need to tell it the house/building number. so it DOES actually have full postcode search - just not individual building number search.

MaFt
Brazzab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Software Version Reply with quote

I just thought you all would like to know that the latest version [2.4] is out from the 16th Sept
gazthomas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that - you are jsut a little bit behind the times - if you had read the forum you would see we were already aware....cheers
danoli
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pigsy10 wrote:
I have sent an email to Maplins asking where we can download the latest software.

At the very least they should supply us with an updated transflash card.

You should direct support request via Garmin as Maplin are only a reseller.
danoli
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KINH wrote:
I think that this is a great little unit & surpasses my expectations in many areas, i just like things to do 'what it says on the tin'.
Call me pedantic but i also like my car to be capable of over 100mph despite the fact i rarely do it, just simply because it says it can.
I guess i was just hoping that it could do more than it actually can, sorry guys/gals i have obviously hit a sore note by being negative. Twisted Evil

Not sure if this has been answered, but it does do a full postcode search. Postcodes are not assigned one per residence, they are assigned to an area containing a number of residences. If for example you want to route to a retail park that has business names and no numbers then a number of 0 should take you to a central location of that postcode area. If you post a letter to such an address, then you put the business name followed by postcode, the postie does the rest. It would not be possible to include all business names, no only because of the vast quantity of them but also because they change as businesses close, relocate or start up.

Maybe try knocking the last 1 or 2 letter off instead of using a number of 0. That may give the postcode general area.

Hope this helps
notsosmart2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: garmin i3 Reply with quote

Re: Garmin i3
the new software StreetPilot i3 Ver. 2.40 as of September 16, 2005

Additional Software
POI Loader Ver. 2.0 as of July 29, 2005

USB Drivers Ver. 2.1 as of August 26, 2004

are all at
http://www.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-00434-00

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: