Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - cannot get a fix
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

cannot get a fix

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fraser5002
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: cannot get a fix Reply with quote

hi i have just bought a wired GPS receiver for my Acer N30 which connects through the serial port when using gps test programs it says it is viewing 11 or 12 satelittes but it is not getting a fix on any of them, not the slightest signal, i drove to the most open space i could trhink of and left it for an hour still nto a single bit of signal, i tried both gps receiver outside the car and inside , all the same viewing the 12 satelites but cant get a signal form any of them. so what i ask is do you reckon this is a duff reciever? or is it something to do with my PDA can you download serial port testers or something to see if the device is there and working correctly? plus what is the best GPS utillity for the pocket pc that will show you your signal strength?

thanks
Fraser
Donald
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: cannot get a fix Reply with quote

fraser5002 wrote:
hi i have just bought a wired GPS receiver for my Acer N30 which connects through the serial port when using gps test programs it says it is viewing 11 or 12 satelittes but it is not getting a fix on any of them, not the slightest signal, i drove to the most open space i could trhink of and left it for an hour still nto a single bit of signal, i tried both gps receiver outside the car and inside , all the same viewing the 12 satelites but cant get a signal form any of them. so what i ask is do you reckon this is a duff reciever? or is it something to do with my PDA can you download serial port testers or something to see if the device is there and working correctly? plus what is the best GPS utillity for the pocket pc that will show you your signal strength?

thanks
Fraser

Hi Fraser
Welcome
Welcome to the Group

If your test programme can 'see' the data from the Receiver that would be a pretty reasonable indication that the Rx is OK and the problem is elsewhere.

I absence of more informed reply from a more knowledgable guru, here are my thoughts for consideration.

The two possible reasons not getting a fix that I can think of is;
a) The Nav software is not configured correctly. The ComPort, Baud rate and Protocol needs to be absolutely correct.
b) From my understanding, the receiver cannot service two rogrammes at the same time. It is possible that your test programme is still running in the background, even though may have 'closed' it by clicking 'x'. OR the test programme is not 'releasing' the Rx after it has used it, thereby stopping the Nav prog gaining access.
fraser5002
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi thanks for the reply good news though well a wee bit. after leaving the pocket pc on in the car all day that would be 11 hrs it whirred into life and had was working like a charm so i went for a wee 5 minute drive ahhh perfect, go back unplug the pocket pc turn it off decide to give it another wee test 5 minutes later but problem started again, thats been an hour now and no signals found, but still viewing the same 11 satelittes. As far as i know the device is configured correctly, the receiver manual ( if you can call it a manual ) said it should be 4800 and i have tried every single com port with only this one finding the gps unit so i think that must be right, not sure what you mean by protocol. I know what you mean about two programs not running at same time but i went to the memory menu and shut down all programs still to no avail, the gps receiver is a Haicom HI203E but if it has an 11 hr fix time i dont see it surviving much longer ...enter mr hammer.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: