Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - iPaq 5450 & Navman 3450 - AGAIN!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

iPaq 5450 & Navman 3450 - AGAIN!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wardth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: iPaq 5450 & Navman 3450 - AGAIN! Reply with quote

Good Grief!

Spent most of this afternoon trying to buy a 3450 Navman for my iPaq 5450. You can guess the response I got from retailers can't you?!

"Sorry but the Navman does not work at all with the 5450"

"Yup no problem"

"Well it sort of works but the voice is rubbish"

"Yeah it won't work out of the box but a download fixes everything"

"Nah, some people will sell it but it locks up all the time and takes an age to find the birds!

What is the truth?

Definitive

Once and for all!!!

Apparently the Co-Pilot 4 is Ok though...........
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: iPaq 5450 & Navman 3450 - AGAIN! Reply with quote

Below is Navman's official response on their website...

Navman GPS 3400 is not recommended for use with the HP iPAQ H5400 series PDA

Based on initial testing, we have found that although the SmartST Professional software does install and work on this iPAQ, you may experience the device occasionally locking up, to which the solution would be to leave the iPAQ inserted in the GPS, and then soft reset it.

As this is not the ideal solution, we would not recommend the iPAQ H5400 series PDA at this time. All other iPAQ HandHeld devices from the H3700 through H3900 range enjoy 100% compatibility with the Navman GPS 3400.

In addition to the above, the physical loudspeaker used in the H5400 we feel does not give sufficient audio output to allow you to hear the voice instructions clearly.

Navman is currently working on ensuring 100% compatibility with the H5400 and would advise all H5400 owners who wish to use the Navman solution, that it does work at present, subject to the inconveniences stated above, and would like to stress that Navman will do its utmost to support them, but cannot guarantee a 100% working solution at present.

wardth
Occasional Visitor

Thanks Dave.

Perhaps companies such as Expansys should redo their website and inform their staff then. I was told that the 3400 was 100% OK with the 5450 even after I told the girl on the line that I had been told otherwise by other suppliers.

I have to admit, i could probably stand the occasionaly lock up - you get that when using things such as the PCMCIA jacket anyway and as far as voice goes, i would either use my in - ear phoneson the street or a Soundbug in the car.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

It is difficult sometimes. One thing we have problems with is checking out the latest product specs, the amount of times a manufacturer will state something and then go back on what they initially stated, either in forms of an apology saying it won't work, or most just retract and remove the original text altogether. This is one problem with having content on your own website, and this is something we come up against a lot of the time. If Expansys are good enough and on the ball they should though be told by their Navman representative, and they should be going out doing research, listening to what customers say and why they are returning them and modify their website accordingly.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

The volume on the 5450 is not just an issue with NavMan, it is an issue with all applications using it.

TomTom seem to be best as their audio files seem to have been somewhat amplified. I can hear the directions sort of OK in my car at motorway speeds, but you need to be listening.

As I dont just use TomTom I have rigged up a small amplifier in my car. Anyone coming to the Summit can view and listen to my setup.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: