Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTG 300 CD.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTG 300 CD.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
njsmith
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: TTG 300 CD. Reply with quote

I’ve had my TomTomGO 300 for about 2 weeks now and it appears to do exactly what it says on the box, I’m very pleased with my purchase.

When I first started to set up my TTG I copied the SD card direct to my laptop as a back-up prior to installing it on the TTG, after installing it on the TTG I again backed up using the back-up software.

After checking the files I copied from the SD card prior to installation, with the files on the accompanying CD I notice that the files on the CD are exactly the same as those that were on the original (Day 1) uninstalled SD card. Does this mean that all the original software that was on the SD card is also duplicated on the CD? I originally thought that the CD only held the manuals.

Nick
Bristol U.K.
tomtomthumb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as i know the cd only contains the manual along with some foreign voices, as your ttg is only 2 weeks old i would assume that it has 5.201 software, this means when back up is selected on the cd it backs up all of the files on the sd card, where as before it only backed up you settings. so you were snookerd if owt went wrong.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesn't sound right, Nick.

AFAIK, the CD that comes with the GO300 definitely DOESN'T have a backup on it, only the manual and their "so called" backup utility.
I say "so called" because the original versions of that utility only backed up your personal settings. The latest version 5.201 DOES do a full backup if you ask it to, but you still have to make one yourself, there isn't one on the CD.

For your info if you want to check, an old manual 'drag and drop' backup of mine that I have in front of me is around 114 MB (120,218,965 bytes)
The most important thing to check is that you have a "Great_Britain-map folder" thats about 101 MB (106,453,240 bytes) in size. I'd be very suprised if thare is one of those on your original CD.
njsmith
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for both your replies.

I don't have any problems with my TTG it was just a belt and bracers thing where I thought that perhaps it would be nice to go to a day one set up such as when XP crashes and I am able to reformat and reload and I am virtually back to a virgin PC system.

As I mentioned earlier, before I even put the SD card near my TTG I copied the SD card to my laptop so I have the untouched orignal files to hand if need be.

Looking at the CD further after my email, it does have an auto run file on it but I think that is as close as it gets to the SD card.

Thanks for you advice.

Regards
Nick
tomtomthumb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not burn the files to a cd then you've got a hard copy just in case!
Smile
njsmith
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already burned onto a CD, once bitten twice shy as they say.

Regards
Nick

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: