Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Should I stay or should I go!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Should I stay or should I go!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nemesis1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Should I stay or should I go! Reply with quote

Hi,
I am a very satisfied user of TT3 with CheckPoint for the cameras.
I have bought the TT5 upgrade and downloaded the latest update and new TT5 compatible CheckPoint.
Just before installing the new software I thought I'de take a look in here. I dont like what I have read!! I'm left wondering should I upgrade or not? There seems to be a lot of problems with the new software and a lot of people think it is a "downgrade"

You all have had far more experience than me so do I "upgrade" or not, what do you think?
Thanx in advance.
brob108
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does seem very hit and miss...some people have had Checkpoint working fine with TT5 and others (including me have struggled).

If you do decide to upgrade Checkpoint then make sure you backup your Pocket PC before you do, so if it does go wrong then you can go back to the previous (working) state.

You may also want to have a look at PI Warner which has worked for me where Checkpoint hasn't. It requires a small annual sub fee but may be worth considering.
Nemesis1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx mate I will look at poi warner.
I have just re-read my original post and it is'nt as clear as it could be I know but, I mean to upgrade Checkpoint and TT3-TT5. It seems to be TT5 that most people are not happy with. Is it worth the hassle and possible disapointment? as most do not seem to be happy with TT5.
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would do (and did) a back-up of TT3 before upgrading using Sprite or something similar, then if you do not like TT5 then do a hard reset.
Personally, once I got used to it and sorted out one or two issues using this forum, I like it. I still have issues with not being able to Plan an Itinerary without having a GPS fix, as when I go abroad I like to plan trips before I leave. With Sprite, I can reload TT3, save the .ITN file and then re-load TT5.
I am even using one of the original sounds (Polite3) to warn me of POIs - I tried the spoken files available from this and various sites but found them not loud enough. I couldn't get on with CheckPOInt, it worked well, but the warning screen flickered and it was too annoying, but apparently you can turn off the display.
I messed with the Menu to what I want and have loaded some voices.
TT Traffic seems to be working much better than with TT3, but it still is not accurate enough for a "Paid for" service.
The PostCode function has worked well for me once I added the TOMTOM folder onto the SD card.
It will be better when they get round to fixing some of the bugs. We should not have to rely on a forum such as this to make something usable.

Just my two pennies worth.

Steve
Nemesis1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx mate.
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upgrading from TT3 to TT5 worked fine for me, absolutely no problems at all. Checkpoint, on the other hand, has caused problems - or I should say the problems started only after Checkpoint was installed; my Dell X3i did a hard reset all on its own.
In addition the flickering of the Checkpoint display is distracting and there appears to be no remedy other than turning the display off, not what I call a solution.
As a result I've stopped using Checkpoint.
hammy96
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: TT5 upgrade Reply with quote

After reading all the problems with the TT5 upgrade I was not sure about going ahead with it. But the problem with TT2 is the maps are so out of date and parts of the south coast not even on there, the M6 toll road missing. so I went for it and after install went to TT website and did the upgrade to TT5.10 then installed the new Checkpoint WOW!!! WHAT A SUPER PERFORMANCE far better than TT2 and still with all the menus. the only thing I miss is the sound when GPS locks on. is there a way to get this back?
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: