Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - eBay and Other Sites Offering Our Safety Camera Database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

eBay and Other Sites Offering Our Safety Camera Database
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: eBay and Other Sites Offering Our Safety Camera Database Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comSadly it would seem that it is open season at the moment for eBay leeches offering our Safety Camera Database for sale to unwitting purchasers. In an effort to end this practice PocketGPSWorld.com has registered with eBay's VeRO Verified Rights Owners Program which assures us speedy action where auctions infringe our copyright. Sadly it is not just eBay Sellers that are guilty. We are also aware of a number of retailers who are offering our database or databases containing our data both as chargeable services and as sales incentives when selling hardware.

We are seeking the help of our readership in identifying those individuals and organisations who have not requested a licence to do this. If you see an eBay Auction offering a Speed Camera Database for sale or a Retailers Website offering Safety Camera Databases either as a paid for service or a fee pre-installation service then we'd like to know.

We invest a great deal of time and energy in compiling and publishing these databases and it is grossly unfair that a small minority think they can profit from our work, spread the word and ensure that everyone knows where to come for the FREE database.

If you have an auction to report or a website post it here.

Last edited by Darren on Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I wouldn't dream of charging for such a thing, whatever the lawyers might argue, it is (in my opinion) out of order.

But there is possibly another side to be considered, while some may be blatently trying to make a profit out of your product, is for example, anyone who only makes a charge for 'helping someone install your product' rather than the product itself actually doing anything wrong (in a legal sense)

I am not trying to justify other peoples actions, just trying to point out that (unfortunately) without VERY carefully worded conditions (which will cost in terms of lawyers time) you may not be able to prevent it. Additionally, although you may be able to prevent any charge for your product, you may not be able to prevent people charging for their expertese (or even be entitled to a cut!).
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed so and we have taken legal advice on this subject. Charging for services is uncontrollable but the use in any form of our database that forms part or a commercial transaction i.e. Charging for an installation service, is covered for.

We're not out to penalise the innocent, its those who seek to profit overtly from our database or use it as a sales tool without reference to us that we have our sight set on.
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also noticed these recently -- a relative wants a cheap satnav system and I thought I'd browse eBay to see if I could find a second-hand GO.

Saw the speed camera databases being advertised and wondered if it was our own pocketgpsworld one being sold on. Now it appears that it is, and that's bang out of order.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you have to be very careful with e-bay - I have even seen products 'apparrently' for sale at rediculously cheap prices, which, if you read the terms very carefully, you will find that you are only buying a link to, either the information, or where you can buy the product. Apparrently this (scam?) is even legal!
UncleBob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens if this guy gets bids on his listing to inflate the price? I'm thinking in the lines of the Live8 ticket thing...
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on whether its a Buy It Now (BiN) auction with a fixed price. You also risk getting into trouble for placing sham bids, best avoided.
trout
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I consider your Speed Camera Database as an essential tool,but due to a bug or some other virus I was unable to get into the site for 3 weeks is this a possible deliberate attempt to stop persons using it??
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlikely, we have had no other reports of any problems.
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just done a search of ebay for "Speed cameras & tom" - they are busy aren't they

is this the sort of things you want?

a couple for tomtom as well

Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just what we're after (I've edited out the full path as all I actually need is the Item No's.)

I have filed a complaint against all those auctions with eBay.

Thanks
cootuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebay is awash with cracked versions.
Speed cam databases, TomTom, Route66 - you name it, you can get it cheap as a standalone product.
Some of the vendors openly admit that theirs are cracked versions when you ask if they come with a genuine licence.
As long as people are willing to buy these off Ebay, there will be a market.

My concern is that companies may expect to sell x thousand units in a country to genuine buyers at £100+ each, but could easily see their revenue hit massively because cracked version are on Ebay for £10.
What then is the incentive to develop the product.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What frustrates me is eBay acknowledge our copyright and yet it is up to us to scour their site and report each auction that violates our copyright.

As it is eBay that is providing the vehicle for these thieves to operate why can't they block auctions with certain keywords or some other process. As for TomTom, Route 66 etc, it's the same problem.

I've lost count of the amount of TomTom Mobile users asking how to connect a non-TomTom GPS. Excepting the very few genuine owners who have maybe upgraded to a SiRFStarIII receiver, the rest have pirate software as its not available as a software only package.

We are actively refusing to assist users who we believe have pirate software as it can only damage the market and future development.
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
What frustrates me is eBay acknowledge our copyright and yet it is up to us to scour their site and report each auction that violates our copyright.

I couldn't agree more - eBay could do a much better job of policing themselves Evil or Very Mad
Noony
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about trying to get some press with the TV motoring programs to bring this matter to the attention of the general public. It's a shame that Top Gear is off season at the moment, but there are plenty of other programs. Also maybe a press release to any motoring publications could help.

Just a thought anyway Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 1 of 34

Jump to: