Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - WAAS / EGNOS capability
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

WAAS / EGNOS capability

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fysmd
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: WAAS / EGNOS capability Reply with quote

Is there a list of compatable receivers somewhere?

I have an eTrex which says it's WASSable but what about my Leadtek mouse and GlobalSat 308?

I can't see WASS/EGNOS mentioned in my GlobalSat spec anywhere but isn't it the same chipset as in the Emtac?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: WAAS / EGNOS capability Reply with quote

Most manufacturers are still quite shady about this. The Leadtek's, or at least the 9531 doesn't have WAAS support. We do need to create a table of compatible receivers, but trying to get this information from the manufacturers isn't easy. We can only assume that if a manufacturer doesn't mention it's WAAS compatible then it's probably not.

Although most SiRF Star II/LP chipsets do support WAAS
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

A lot of receivers that don't specifically mention SBAS (this seems to be the latest term - Space Based Augmentation Systems, which covers WAAS, EGNOS and MSAS) support it anyway if they're SiRF based.

Recent SiRF firmware includes SBAS support so long as the OEM leaves it in place and provides a way for the standard SiRF commands to enable SBAS to get to the receiver (or provides their own way to enable SBAS).

Emtac have their firmware customised to an extent - for example, the method used to select individual SBAS satellites (rather than auto-seek) in Crux-View only works with an Emtac receiver. There is a way to select individual satellites in SiRF firmware 2.30 and above, though the software I've tried to use this facility on my Haicom HI-303MMF doesn't seem to save this setting so that it persists beyond the GPS being powered down.

Whether this non-persistence is a 'feature' of the SiRF firmware or a bug in the software I'm using, I don't know.

David
Dave
Frequent Visitor

I believe the SiRF IIe/LP supports SBAS, but I'm unsure about the SiRF I, SiRF II though.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

Yes - my mistake for not also mentioning hardware. SiRFstar IIe/LP certainly includes SBAS support. The SiRF web site says that SiRFstar IIe also includes SBAS support.

The impression I get is that all SiRFstar II family chipsets can support SBAS, but that the (now discontinued?) SiRFstar I chipset cannot.

David
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

The GlobalSat BT308 uses a SiRF Star 11/LP chipset, which supports both trickle power and WAAS, EGNOS or SBAS.

With the GlobalSat BT308 that I have been testing for a while came a very basic configuration application. It claims to implement WAAS and Trickle charging, but the checkboxes dont seem to get their data from the GPS so I suspect that it may be a write only operation.

The instructions with the unit are not too great. I have tried to use CruxView and Winfast Navigator to change the settings with little joy.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

At least some configuration on the Emtac receivers (for example, control of SBAS PRN used) doesn't appear to use standard SiRF messages. I wouldn't expect Crux View to work with a non-Emtac receiver.

I'm a little more surprised at Winfast Navigator not working, though - that does use standard SiRF messages.

Be careful not to issue a command that changes the speed of the serial communication from the GPS chipset to something other than 38400 - that appears to 'lose' the receiver until both the battery and the backup capacitor are flat - see this thread for the ongoing saga.

Note: I take no responsibility if 38400 isn't the right speed to configure...

David
spectric
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there

Are we saying that to support EGNOS / WAAS that we need to use Sirf ?

I was lead to believe that memory map can handle WAAS but only uses NMEA.

thanks Roy
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is WAAS up and running and sending reliable data in Europe at the moment? I remember that it was on test for quite a while.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EGNOS is still in test until April 2004 I believe (although haven't checked status recently)
snaz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is WAAS enabled by default in GPs receivers that claim to be WAAS-enabled? Or does it require you to configure it manually?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, in most cases you need to enable it by using SiRFTweak of another app that will allow you to switch it on.
RonenB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:00 am    Post subject: Software needed Reply with quote

I switched EGNOS on on my Roaltek RGM 2000. Where can I find a software 4 my IPaq to evaluate the change? I searched for hours without success. The only one that almost did it was GPS Tuner but it is not accurate and fails to work in SIRF mode. Any ideas?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: