Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Wiring my 510iCN in....how?!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Wiring my 510iCN in....how?!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MinnieMouse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Wiring my 510iCN in....how?! Reply with quote

I got my 510iCN at the start of the year when it first come out and never having had a GPS system before I was delighted with not getting lost everywhere I went!
BUT number 1.....I have read here that nobody seems to be getting any longer than 2 or so hours on a charge.
BUT number 2.....I am having real prbolems with using the cigarette lighter adapter. The plug will really not fit into my lighter in either my car or my husbands car (it will if he don't drive over any bumps as we have to wedge it in with a piece of paper!). I have called Navman and emailed too. The reply to the email was what can only be described as confussed and resulted in them telling me they will not wire it in for me (I knew that and only wanted a wiring diagram to show me how to!) and on telephoning them I was told that of course the plug must fit into the lighter!!! Trust me it won't!

So can anyone help me here??

I know about getting an adapter but will this help as my plug may not fit into another adapter that I buy.

What about "plumbing" it in directly to the main power on the car? A friend will do it but says I need a converter from 12v to 5v's??

If anyone can help me throw some light on it all I would be eternally grateful :D
sundance
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi. im really sorry I cant throw any light on wiring. but just wanted to add that my car adapter doesnt work great. bumps and such will knok the connection dead.
MinnieMouse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so pleased that I am not the only one then who seems to have trouble with the adapter! It also kept blowing the fuses in my car too but now there is a bigger fuse in there and so far so good!
sundance
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: charge Reply with quote

Oh , regading number of hours on charge. I get about 5 hours. A note as well. when my unit says running low, i checked the charge left and its 33%. i kept it on all the way and got well over another hour from it.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would visit and auto electrician and ask him. The 510 needs 5V so you need a regulator. A good auto electrician can probably modify the cig. adapter to do this - it's just a matter of soldering on a couple of wires.

Brodit (brodit.com) sell a nice bracket for the 510 that means the power is connected when you put the 510 into it's cradle. No mucking around with wires every time you remove and install the 510. Part #215035.
MinnieMouse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for you replies. I looked at the Brodit site but they don't seem to show the holder...I would like to see it before I purchase. Then again I am happy with the Navman holder as it transfers between cars well!
sealion
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look here, http://www.brodit.com/?l=1 and read this, http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/brodit.php.
MinnieMouse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Sealion! I have bookmarked that as its a bit too complicated for this hour of night!
How did you know I might be in need of safety camera warnings Laughing
sundance
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minnie

just seen on a similar thread that halfords will hard wire it for u for 39.00 quid. :D . i would give them a call and ask.
MinnieMouse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sundance wrote:
minnie

just seen on a similar thread that halfords will hard wire it for u for 39.00 quid. :D . i would give them a call and ask.

I have seen that too but I wonder if that is if you have not purchased the item from them originally?!
sundance
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well minnie. dont ask dont get. I bought a cd player from internet and halfords jumped at the chance to fit it for me for 39 quid. maybe the same with satnav. I would ring round local large halfords be very pleasant maybe say it was a gift as u keep getting lost but could they hard wire it for u , u may get lucky. or they may charge a bit extra.
MinnieMouse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sundance wrote:
well minnie. dont ask dont get.

Very true sundance!!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: