Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT3 to TT5 back to TT3 "BEWARE"
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT3 to TT5 back to TT3 "BEWARE"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NickR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: TT3 to TT5 back to TT3 "BEWARE" Reply with quote

I have upgraded to TT5 from TT3, I don't like TT5.

I have asked TT for a code for TT3, they say they cannot supply code as I have upgraded to TT5 (which is actually a downgrade)!

Anyone thinking of upgrading from TT3 I would advise you checkout TT5 first.

Anyone know what I can do to get back to TT3 ?

IPhone 4
Cujo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done it. It should work as long as its on the same pda. See this topic:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=24247&highlight=
NickR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, I got the same message on www.ttcode.com.

Trouble is I have bought a new PDA.

Nick

IPhone 4
LiveLifeGoJump
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the problem with TTN5? I UPGRADED & am happy with it.

List them here & someone should be able to help. I can't remember what features I had in TTN3 that I miss (EXCEPT for the SPEED settings for the various roads).
NickR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

List of gripes TT3 v TT5

Advanced properties
1/ cannot customise navigator menu buttons.
2/ cannot Changing the function of the hardware buttons on my pda, I found it very useful assigning a button to exit TOMTOM. (TT5 you have to scroll through 3 screens to get to the exit button).
3/ TT5 you cannot get to the PDA apps very easily, TT3 you can click at the top of screen to gain access to the PDA apps.
4/ TT3 was very easy planning a route in MAP view, doesn’t seem possible now.

I feel TT5 is a downgrade not an upgrade. I cannot think of any added features of TT5 that are of any use to me other than the navigate to POSTCODE feature which is not as good as ukpostcode app.

If TOMTOM put the stuff they have taken out back in to TT5 I might contemplate using it again.

Can you list the Pros of TOMTOM 5 over TOMOM3?

Cheers.

IPhone 4
LiveLifeGoJump
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickR wrote:

1/ cannot customise navigator menu buttons.

You can customise the menus, There has been lots of posts on this subject and the is also a web site that allows you to set the menu icons by 'drag & drop'.

NickR wrote:

2/ cannot Changing the function of the hardware buttons on my pda, I found it very useful assigning a button to exit TOMTOM. (TT5 you have to scroll through 3 screens to get to the exit button).

I haven't found out how to change the Nav buttons up to now but exiting can be made quicker. See reply to no. 1. Set the exit icon on first menu page.

NickR wrote:

3/ TT5 you cannot get to the PDA apps very easily, TT3 you can click at the top of screen to gain access to the PDA apps.

I miss that until I realised that by using a nav button to start an app. (notes etc. then you have access to the top task bar. Not the best method I admit but then I use TTN5 to get me from A to B when driving which is not the best time to use a ppc. If I NEED to then I stop the car & the little extra button pressing is nothing.

NickR wrote:

4/ TT3 was very easy planning a route in MAP view, doesn’t seem possible now.

You have reminded me of one thing I miss from TTN3, the 'tap & hold' & select 'set as' for start or end etc. The 'point on map is just as easy plus you have 7 digit postcode, city centre point of interest etc. available & I find that it is just as easy if not easier.

NickR wrote:

I feel TT5 is a downgrade not an upgrade. I cannot think of any added features of TT5 that are of any use to me other than the navigate to POSTCODE feature which is not as good as ukpostcode app.

Never did use ukpostcode app so can't comment on that but TTN5 postcode works fine for me (except for houses with a name & no number).

1. Nav to city centre is good if you are just going & don't have a street name or postcode.

2. Updated maps in TTN5

3. Rotate Screen.

4. POI warnings (although you need a new voice file for speed camera warnings & set them twice for 2 warnings per camera)

5. Improved route recalulation if you go 'off route'

6. 'Clear route' icon makes deleting a route much easier.

NickR wrote:

If TOMTOM put the stuff they have taken out back in to TT5 I might contemplate using it again.

The main thing I want Tomtom to put back in is the ability to adjust the speeds for the various roads as the estimated time of the journey is too long when the journey is mainly on single carriageway roads (I find it quite close when mostly on motorway & dual carriageways).

I was not using TTN3 for long before I upgraded & that may be why I got used to it quickly & found it better. I know that when I started with computers 'Dos' was the thing, when Windows came out I would not use it as it was to difficult to use & could not do what I wanted it to. Wasn't till Windows 95 came out that I found it to be better & stopped 'dropping back to dos' when I have 'real' things to do (old dog & new tricks springs to mind).

Give TTN5 a few weeks & I think that you will get used to it and not want to downgrade to TTN3.
hogbreath
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess if you could combine tt3 & tt5 you’d have what we were all expecting tt5 was going to be.

But you’re forgetting that commercial considerations have been put in front of the pda community’s wish list! TT5 has been constructed to appeal to the masses; they would not have been able to cope with the tt3 format we all knew and liked.

I don’t honestly think that it would have been much development to “bend” the common engine to better suit both pda/go idiosyncrasies, as to fix the reported problems isn’t that what is going to happen?

I’ve switched back to tt3 for the time being because it is so much quicker, I do appreciated tt5 has ironed out some of the tt3 gremlins, but most of the time I use tt3 to explore journeys places & poi’s at my desk!

The next time I plan to do a walk or bike journey, I’ll probably switch back to tt5.

Until significant improvements are made, tt3 will remain the preferred choice.

Can’t help thinking in tt land the view is, “well thanks very much guys but we have to be moving on, you’re missing the big picture”.

Pete
keithmroberts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have TT3 running for long, but have found TT5 fine once version 5.10 was released. I like the view, and perhaps should count as one of the "masses", as i just want it to get me to the right place in a straightforward manner.

If I wanted to consider a route or journey time in advance I would still use online free route planners such as the AA or RAC ones. My pda works as a diary and notetaker during the day, but when I can work on a full size screen I will always use it for preference.

In the car - TT5 does everything that I want - and it seems to be pretty quick at recalculating when I have tried to confuse it by deliberately taking a wrong turning.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: