Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed detector/Sat nav beginners question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed detector/Sat nav beginners question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jswarb001
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Speed detector/Sat nav beginners question Reply with quote

Hi I wonder if someone could help me. Having just received a speeding ticket from a mobile camera I am looking to purchase some form of protection for the future. Having sat nav would be nice with in built in speed detection however I am unsure whether the software is as good as buying say a dedicated speed detector system. The prices seem similar so if a pda say did the same job it would seem worthwhile going down that route so that I would have both sat nav and camera detection.Onthe other hand do they (sat nav systems) just offer basic service normally as part of a bundle package?

I also read that certain speed systems are becomming unlawful.How can I be sure I am buying the right one? Your help and any recommendations for systems would be appreciated

thanks
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jswarb001,

Welcome to the forum! Thumbs Up

My understanding of what will be banned and what will be allowed are as follows:

Arrow Laser jammers: These are definitely a no no. The authorities do not like them one little bit. I’ve heard that if they can’t get a reading from your vehicle then your number plate is flagged in a database. If you are flagged more than once, you will get a visit for officials who will search your car for any form of jammer.

Arrow Laser and radar detectors: Regardless of whether the detector are stand alone or part of a system, in which case you either remove the module or the whole system will become illegal. By the way, laser detectors are of limited use anyway – as soon as you receive a warning you have been targeted and if you’re over the limit you will have been bagged and tagged.

Arrow Passive GPS detectors: These are OK and should continue to be legal. This is because they cannot identify which site is active or inactive and the thinking is that they encourage everybody to slowdown (which they will). The GPS detectors can either be stand-alone boxes with a paid for subscription, or as an add-on to a SatNav system e.g. the free PocketGPSWorld camera database.

Not knowing where you are (please update your profile to indicate your country) I would suggest that you might want to get either a TomTom Go 300 or 500 and use the free PocketGPSWorld camera database.

I have, and subscribe to, one of the UK’s first Passive GPS detectors, which is a Morpheous Geodesy. Certainly in my area the PocketGPSWorld camera database is far more accurate. If you have thousands of people running the free camera database all over the country they will send in updates, which constantly improve the already excellent quality of the PocketGPSWorld camera database.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
jswarb001
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks for that. So are we saying that a Tom Tom 500 say would give me both Sat Nav and also the same speed protection as a stand alone speed system would (provided the database was kept up to date). Im just not sure what the benefit would be in that case of just owning a speed system since they are similar prices? You might as well have both right? (Unless Im missing something of course)?

Just one final point, would the Tom tom help me in a situation where a speed gun was being used in the distance (ie would it pre warn me?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A TomTom system using our database would be 'passive' only. It has now way of 'detecting' a trap that is not in its location database.

To cloud the matter' active devices which used sensors i.e. radar or laser, to detect traps may not know be outlawed as parliament disolved before the legislation was to be set before them. It is unlikely that the bill will now resurface in the short term and so until then, hardware devices that use laser or radar detectors remain legal to won and use in the UK.

My experiences are that laser detectors don't offer any useful degree of protection and radar is far less frequently used these days. I have a range of hardware GPS based detectors available to used but find my TomTom system equipped with our database is just as effective.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jswarb001 wrote:
So are we saying that a Tom Tom 500 say would give me both Sat Nav and also the same speed protection as a stand alone speed system would (provided the database was kept up to date).

Yes absolutely the same protection as any other GPS detection system. You would need to use the PocketGPSWorld camera database with the TomTom Go 500.

jswarb001 wrote:
Im just not sure what the benefit would be in that case of just owning a speed system since they are similar prices? You might as well have both right? (Unless Im missing something of course)?

You are correct. Our database is getting better and better. If people do spot a camera that’s not on the database they send it in and it’s included on the next update, which you download from our website.

jswarb001 wrote:
Just one final point, would the Tom tom help me in a situation where a speed gun was being used in the distance (ie would it pre warn me?

The free PocketGPSWorld camera database has locations of fixed cameras, known mobile sites, SPECS, red traffic light cameras. If you set it up correctly you will be warned about them all. The TomTom doesn’t have a laser or radar detector but those will be banned shortly we believe. I set the warnings for known mobile sites at 1,000 metres.

I also run a Bel Euro 550 radar/laser detector, which is excellent, but once they are illegal then I won’t be able to use it.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
To cloud the matter' active devices which used sensors i.e. radar or laser, to detect traps may not now be outlawed as parliament dissolved before the legislation was to be set before them. It is unlikely that the bill will now resurface in the short term and so until then, hardware devices that use laser or radar detectors remain legal to own and use in the UK.

Thanks for the update Darren. Smile

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: