Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - sd card and mio168
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

sd card and mio168

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soweezy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: sd card and mio168 Reply with quote

anyone know if this SD card will work in the Mio168 ?

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/productinfo.aspx?ProductID=8284

says "Secure Digital (SD) 1Gb Ultra 66 Memory card"

thanks

Garmin Zumo 390LM
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not possible to tell as they say

Quote:
Manufacturer: Various

It's a good price, but I would think that it will not be a brand that we know, sometimes the cards don't have the full memory available, can say 1000MB but when tested only have say 975MB on them.

For that price its worth a go if you really want one, I would think it hard to find a 1GB for under about £50 normally, having said that if you put delivery on seems to work out at about £42.24

I always use http://www.digimem.com/ and you know just what you are getting, usually free next day recorded delivery.
Ego_Shredder
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After paying over the odds for cards from Amazon and eBuyer, I now buy brand new sealed cards from eBay from Power Sellers. I even got a Sandisk 256MB + WiFi SD card brand new/sealed for £36! Most decent 1GB 66x cards are around the £50 mark which includes delivery in some cases.

Try here:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Global-Digital-Media-Exchange_Secure-Digital_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZQ2d1QQftidZ2QQtZkm

There are various other stores too, so check them out. I'm waiting for the 4GB cards to become available. They exist already but it will be a little while before they are in the shops.

Ego Smile
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, not all SD cards work in all situations. Also, it may not just be the Mio you need to be concerned about.

For example, the SD card which was supplied with my Mio works in my Mio, but only with one of my two card readers - it can only be read in the other; yet the SD card I bought later works with everything I have (so far!).

I have tried to find out more, but there is so much conflicting information about (so obviously there has to be a lot of rubbish too!) it does make it a bit difficult.

The fact that the vendor says 'various' means that you could get anything - so at best it will be 'pot luck'. While you may be able to get a refund, you could well be responsible for the postal/insurance costs yourself.
Ego_Shredder
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chose to use a Sandisk Extreme III 1GB 133x SD card from Amazon, mainly so I could avoid any performance related issues with Tom Tom Navigator v3.07 and CheckPOInt. I'm so glad I did because although the card is possibly overkill for the Mio 168, it means everything runs flawlessly without any problems.

I bought a PNY 66x 1GB card from eBuyer just for mp3 playback and that works fine, but seeing as Sandisk cards are so cheap on eBay, I will be buying the Ultra II 1GB, 2GB, 4GB type cards next.

I would avoide the really cheap and possibly nasty generic makes like the plague, unless you get to try them first.

NCGM Smile
Ego_Shredder
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add to my last post...

I have no problems using all the SD cards mentioned, in various card readers and cameras etc. For the time being I will be sticking with Sandisk as they seem to be the most reliable, compatible and best performing cards on the market.

Ego Smile
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought a 1GB Kingston SD card from www.infotechshop.co.uk for £45.11 including delivery which was within 2 days and special delivery.

Regards

Mark

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: