Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ttn5 postcode, does it really work with the full 7 digits?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ttn5 postcode, does it really work with the full 7 digits?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
[How did you expect it to work? If you haven't got a House Number it will still get quite close, most of the time.

I would expect it to work correctly. The fact that it asks for house number shows that it is unable to find an accurate position on the map.
Commercial Postcode programs that have map data available will, by just entering a 7 digit postcode take you to the centre of the area covered by that postcode. As did Niel's Ukpostcode program used by many with TT V3
Programs such as Postcode Lookup that use a database rather than a map will list all addresses that have that postcode.
Thee TomTom implication is seriously lacking hence the reason Navigate to postcode fails.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xda wrote:
I would expect it to work correctly. The fact that it asks for house number shows that it is unable to find an accurate position on the map.

The inputting of the house number only refines the location.

xda wrote:
Commercial Postcode programs that have map data available will, by just entering a 7 digit postcode take you to the centre of the area covered by that postcode. As did Niel's Ukpostcode program used by many with TT V3

As does TT5, and Streetmap, but because TT is a road navigator it locks to the nearest road. Neil's program, and the old Postcode POI, returned a co-ordinate which TT could navigate to, using once again the nearest road.

xda wrote:
Programs such as Postcode Lookup that use a database rather than a map will list all addresses that have that postcode.
Thee TomTom implication is seriously lacking hence the reason Navigate to postcode fails.

The size of the database required would be impractical for use in TT when you consider how big the PAF is and the speed of the processor that would be needed.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The size of the database required would be impractical for use in TT when you consider how big the PAF is and the speed of the processor that would be needed.

This could be done quite easily by incorporating the additional data into the existing map database. The town, street, range of house numbers and partial 5 digit postcode information is already in the map database, all that needs to be added is the full 7 digit postcode and a range of house numbers/names for each postcode.

This would not need a significant increase in the data size over the existing postal file add-on nor would it significantly increase the processing power required.

Roger
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xda wrote:

It does work correctly. If you choose not to enter a house number then it will just take you to the centre of the area covered by that postcode. If you enter a house number then it can take you to the exact address you require. Remember, the size of the area covered by an individual postcode may vary and can cover more than one road, especially in rural areas.

If you contact a company using commercial address lookup software they will ask you for your postcode and house number, and then to either to select or confirm the street.
zxmike99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Yes it does work - with a bit of fiddling ! Reply with quote

I spent hours on this. As frustrated as you lot before contacting Tom Tom.

Here is the response I got ...

Dear Mr Powell,

Thank you for your question.

Full postcode search is detailed below: http://www.tomtom.com/3237

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team.

When I first followed the above link - I went mad thinking TomTom had simply sent me a link on how to use the post code search - BUT carry on reading to down to point 5.

There - tucked away is the answer - and it works !!!

Why oh why have I and many other people had to go through this ? I bought a brand new legal upgrade copy from the TomTom website and still had these problems - Not good !

Thanks Tomtom
alFR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly, on my setup navigate to postcode works with the full 7 digits, but if I'm trying to set my home address it'll only accept 5 digits! Not a problem as I can usually find my house Smile, but still odd.
jguiver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird! I have full 7 digit postcode searching. I've just reset my Home location using the postcode. again 7 digits. My Documents contains only 2 files - CurrentMap and Great_Britain-24a02c86 (whatever that is). The Zip file is on my SD Card. I'm using TTN5.0 ona Mio 168.
alFR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: the full postcode searching does work with my home location as well, I had forgotten that you need to set the location via "postcode" rather than "address" to get the full 7-digit searching. Doh. Embarassed
c2rm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Using this link finally solved the problem for me as well. However, loathe to take up so much space on my already limited internal memory, I have placed the zip folder in the root of my storage card. I also had to create an empty folder called tomtom.

Only taken 6 weeks to get this sorted but now I am there I am impressed!! :D

As for needing to enter house numbers etc - so what for the size of the app it is still much easier than trying to enter a normal address. All we now need is for Tomtom to let us modify the menu pages so we can have the postcode icon on the first 'navigate to page' Idea .
Gadjet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to copy the zip folder to the internal memory just create an empty folder on your storage card (same place your zip file is) called tomtom and then it started working for me. Laughing
LiveLifeGoJump
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

c2rm wrote:
Quote:

Using this link finally solved the problem for me as well. However, loathe to take up so much space on my already limited internal memory, I have placed the zip folder in the root of my storage card. I also had to create an empty folder called tomtom.

Only taken 6 weeks to get this sorted but now I am there I am impressed!! :D

As for needing to enter house numbers etc - so what for the size of the app it is still much easier than trying to enter a normal address. All we now need is for Tomtom to let us modify the menu pages so we can have the postcode icon on the first 'navigate to page' Idea .

Only took me 2 days thanks to this forum (Thank to Lutz & all the others).

There is a lot of posts in this forum explaining how to alter the menu pages to suit yourself.
Dilldog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same issue with no postcodes, just made the 'tomtom' folder on my SD card as suggested and it now works fine - with both the zip folder and maps on my SD card.

Thanks all.

Dilldog
rannie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
I had the same problem which took me a day to solve thanks to this post. Just made the 'tomtom' folder on my SD card as suggested and it now works fine - with both the zip folder and maps on my SD card.

have to say thanks as the instructions from tomtom were a bit confusing and i am a bit of a PDA geek!!.

instruction included are pretty poor!! but now its working am happy as this was the whole reason for me upgrading in the first place.

thanks
rannie
Cazgas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just spent 45 minutes, searching forum and reading results and managed to sort out postcodes.

Thanks for all the info

Caz :D
paulkeshishian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: TomTom One Postcode on SD card Reply with quote

Hi
I have a TomTom One v2 with the hard drive and sd card slot. I downloaded the new map from tomtom to a new sd card. The full postcode search did not work ie I could only type in the first few digits and then it would ask for a street name. The solution I found is as follows. On my hard drive, where I had the original map, there is a folder called zip. All you have to do is copy the zip folder from the hard drive onto the sd card. Within the zip folder there appears to be postcodes for Gt Britain and the Netherlands. I copied it first to my computer and then on to the sd card. Postcode works fine now! I found out that the internal memory and the sd card do not work "with" each other, they are independent so I have one map on the hard drive and a different one on the sd card. I hope this helps someone, it took me a while to find out..

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: