Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT5 shortcut button on Tungesten T3 (palm os)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT5 shortcut button on Tungesten T3 (palm os)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dclowes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: TT5 shortcut button on Tungesten T3 (palm os) Reply with quote

I have just upgraded to TT5 (for palm OS) and despite the crashes (yes I have done a soft reset on the motorway...) there is one thing that is really bugging me.

I have a Palm Tungstem T3 and with TT4 I was able to assign a shortcut key to launch the Tomtom program - without having to turn the palm on and tap on the screen, etc.

I want to use the small button on the side of my T3 (under the headphone socket) and map it to launch the tomtom software. It worked perfectly under TT4 and I found it very very useful and safe to do whilst driving. It seems as though I can no longer do it under the new version as for some reason the palm software cannot "see" the application when trying to map the button.

Could someone please point me in the right direction and give me some assistance on this.

Thanks in advance.
TazUk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried doing a clean install of TT5?
dclowes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes -- but it has made no difference. I wonder if it is an attributes issue.....

anyone?
TazUk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Navigator shows up in the normal program list?
millband
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see another Palm user on here! I also have a T3 running TT5. To get Navigator to work from a button, use FileZ or similar to copy /PALM/Launcher/start.prc from your SD card to the Palm's memory. You can then put "Navigator" into a Palm category and also assign it to a hardware button if you want. Works fine like this.

I wonder when us Palm users will see an update from TomTom? I'm getting a bit sick of having to reset the Palm after it's crashed...

Cheers,

Steve
millband
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, hang on - I think I moved start.prc to the Launcher folder myself to stop it launching every time I went to the SD card category (I have it running with other apps on a 1Gb card) Confused

It may be in the root of your SD card. Wherever, just take a copy and put it in the device memory and you'll be away. :D
TazUk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

millband wrote:
To get Navigator to work from a button, use FileZ or similar to copy /PALM/Launcher/start.prc from your SD card to the Palm's memory. You can then put "Navigator" into a Palm category and also assign it to a hardware button if you want. Works fine like this.

I didn't have to do any of that, it was there automatically Confused This was a full retail copy rather than the upgrade though.

Quote:
I wonder when us Palm users will see an update from TomTom? I'm getting a bit sick of having to reset the Palm after it's crashed...

Don't seem to be having any crashing problems on my Treo 650, would like an update to fix some of the bugs though ;)
dclowes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm... im totally confused now. I have start.pcr file on my external card under the Palm directory. I also have the same one on my local drive (root), which I have overwritten (just to be sure). I have assinged the Navigator to the "main" categor, but whem I try to assign a button to it, it doent appear in the list, so its impossible to select Sad

Any further ideas? -- its driving me crackers.
millband
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, mine is the retail version and I played around with moving the app about the first day I got it - it's a few weeks ago now, so my memory is a little fuzzy about what exactly I did Embarassed

However, I CAN assign any button to "Navigator" on my T3, so it can definately be done. I'm trying to remember if I did it by using my card reader to copy start.prc from the card to my PC, then installed it on the Palm itself by using Quick Install and a HotSync? Try this if you can.

If I go into "Info" from "Applications" on my T3 I see Navigator v4.301 in my Palm ROM. Using FileZ I see I have two files, "start_MniC_appl_a6" and "start", which I'm pretty sure I got from installing "start.prc" on the Palm after copying it from the card.

I now have Navigator listed on my Palm even when I don't have an expansion card inserted, do you?

What bugs do you guys have on the Palm? I have the one mentioned in another thread where I have duplicate files every HotSync, and I also get intermittant crashes which mean I have to press the reset button on the back - not very practical when you're driving! Otherwise it works as advertised, but with a definate tendancy to send me down cart tracks Confused
TazUk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

millband wrote:
What bugs do you guys have on the Palm? I have the one mentioned in another thread where I have duplicate files every HotSync...

That's the only problem that I've experienced, more of a nuisance than anything Smile
TazUk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OT: I used to use Filez for file management then I discovered Resco Explorer, which IMHO is much better :D

http://www.resco.net/palm/explorer/
dclowes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of fundamental differences from you. At this point I should state that I have installed the upgrade (you know the pack of cd's) which I ordered off the TT website.

In the RAM (not the ROM as you have suggested) I have two files Start.prc and start_MniC_appl_a68k

I cannot move either of them to the ROM (just wont alllow me to). When I remove the SD card the icons are showing on the front screen of the T3 because these 2 files exist. If I delete them then it disappears.

On appz, info screen I dont see Navigator at all. I just isnt listed. I think this is my problem.

Other bugs

Arrow Randon Crashes

Arrow Duplicate file entries - check this from my log

-- System
-- Possible database overwrite problem. Backing up database great_britain-24a02c86.mac to file C:\Program Files\Palm\ClowesD\Backup\great_britain-24a02c86_mac.PDB. The file contained database great_britain-24A02C86.mac data.
-- Backing up db great_britain-24a02c86.mac to file C:\Program Files\Palm\ClowesD\Backup\great_britain-24a02c86_mac.PDB
-- Possible database overwrite problem. Backing up database currentmap.dat to file C:\Program Files\Palm\ClowesD\Backup\currentmap_dat.PDB. The file contained database CurrentMap.dat data.
-- Backing up db currentmap.dat to file C:\Program Files\Palm\ClowesD\Backup\currentmap_dat.PDB
-- Backing up db great_britain-map.cfg to file C:\Program Files\Palm\ClowesD\Backup\great_britain-map_cfg.PDB
-- Possible database overwrite problem. Backing up database CurrentMap.dat to file C:\Program Files\Palm\ClowesD\Backup\CurrentMap_dat.PDB. The file contained database currentmap.dat data.
-- Backing up db CurrentMap.dat to file C:\Program Files\Palm\ClowesD\Backup\CurrentMap_dat.PDB
-- Possible database overwrite problem. Backing up database great_britain-24A02C86.mac to file C:\Program Files\Palm\ClowesD\Backup\great_britain-24A02C86_mac.PDB. The file contained database great_britain-24a02c86.mac data.
-- Backing up db great_britain-24A02C86.mac to file C:\Program Files\Palm\ClowesD\Backup\great_britain-24A02C86_mac.PDB

Arrow Oh and the most annoying one -- fatal error when you exit the application.

Any further thoughts on the shortcut button guys?
dclowes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallelujah

I have cracked it -- but in suck an unorthodox way you wouldn't believe it.

I deleted the cn.prc file (contacts file) from the root it then listed the Navigator as an option I could choose from the assign button section. It now works (except I don't have the Contact Icon on the front screen).

I reinstalled the cn.prc file from the sd card and the icon reappeared, but then I lost the Navigator icon on the desktop (of the palm). I then reinstalled the start.prc from the sd card, and both icons reappeared, I have the navigator listed button list as selectable, but when selected as Navigator, it opens the Contacts Navigation........pppfffff ......

How wierd is that.

So -- I then delete the cn.prc file from the RAM of the palm, assign the button to navigator (its still visible) and this then opens the tomtom Navigator program, rather than the contacts.

So in a round about way I'm fixed --- thanks guys for all your help. But I can't use the contacts navigator, but im not bothered about that.

Has anyone else had this issue --- surely I can't be the only one.
millband
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Glad you got it going. Sorry, being v.sloppy on my reply - I meant RAM not ROM, what I was trying to say was it was on my Palm not on my SD card. You've been much more thorough than me, I just got it working as a byproduct of moving things to where I wanted them I think.

I can't remember doing anything with Contacts on my Palm, but I have moved it to the launcher folder on the SD card instead of the root.

Cheers,

Steve
TazUk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dclowes wrote:
Has anyone else had this issue

If they have they're keeping very quiet ;) Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: