Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mapopolis
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mapopolis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andover_tabler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Mapopolis Reply with quote

I have just read Dave Burrow’s review of Mapopolis and am very interested in it. Following on from my posting on the Forums and having corresponded with Paul Baines who had also posted a question re. Navman vs Magellan for the Palm m500 series, I purchased a Navman GPS sleeve. Whilst the maps it provides are very good I am slightly disappointed that (as far as I can see) it will not provide visual indicators of what turns I need to take at what times. All it seems to provide is a direction list or a map.

The Mapopolis system would appear to offer more of a user friendly interface when using it to navigate whilst driving and it seems to be available for the Palm.

Can anyone confirm whether this would be a good buy or if there is something else that may be appropriate? I did note the comments from some quarters that Palm users should consider purchasing a new handheld (such as the Dell machine) but another new organiser is and was not an option.

Nigel

Nigel Baxendale

http://www.club18-45.org.uk
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Mapopolis Reply with quote

The software that comes with the sleeve for the Palm is quite old now by a few years, and really gives you two applications. Long journeys on major roads with Trips (aka TomTom RoutePlanner) and city driving with City (aka TomTom CityMaps). These are now out dated, you can purchase new versions from TomTom.

Mapopolis from the Palm perspective is good, but check out the Mapopolis Review as currently on the version 4 maps there are quite a lot of holes in major roads which makes navigating tricky. I'm told there will be a new version of the UK maps out soon, but I don't know when.
andover_tabler
Occasional Visitor

Had a quick look at the TomTom site but am not sure whether this now provides visual indicators as to what turns to take at each junction. My previous experience of Sat Nav was via a Blaupunkt CD/Radio/SatNav system fitted as standard in a company car. This provided very clear monochrome indications of what turn to take, along with voice commands, but no map.

I realise that the Palm is not going to give me voice commands, but want to get clear visuals rather than the text list guide so that the instructions can be clearly read when driving.

Your further advice would be greatly appreciated.

Nigel

Nigel Baxendale

http://www.club18-45.org.uk
Dave
Frequent Visitor

CityMaps 2003 will do, but RoutePlanner won't.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: