Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom: Trading Standards Petition
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom: Trading Standards Petition
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L_Morgan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:39 am    Post subject: TomTom: Trading Standards Petition Reply with quote

I have many issues with the TT5 roll out, and after spending way too much time browsing forums to attempt to fix bugs it is apparent that I am in good company.

Put simply, it is of my opinion that TT5 has not been adequately tested and so many bugs render the software 'not fit for purpose' and with TT customer support being so poor alot of unhappy customers feel 'ripped-off'.

I intend, if the support is with me, to raise a petition of concern over a time frame of a one month period. Like minded TT 'customers' will be able to, via a web page hosted by myself, provide an outline brief of dissatisfaction with TT. This petition shall be passed to Trading Standards and the consumer magazine, Which.

The purpose of this post is to gauge the consumer satisfaction to see whether this action is justified. If the responses are warrant the petition the URL will be quickly posted to start the process.
ROM date: 04/11/06
Radio version 1.09.00
Protocol version: 42.42.P8
ExtROM version: 1.30.162 WWE
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You stand no chance of getting anywhere with this. If you bought from a retailer your contract is with them not with TomTom, so trading standards could only help you there if your retailer refused to take it back.

If you bought from TomTom direct they are in another country and outside the juristiction of trading standards.
realistic
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine works.

As a driving aid it gets me from A to B offering useful information on the way.

If I had spent thousands of pounds on a state of the art navigation that was calibrated and certificated then I would expect total reliance. I didn't, total spend including upgrade about £200.

Mike
Skids
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with L_Morgan.

This version of TomTom is several steps back from TTN3 and is full of bugs.

Just look at the TomTom faq page, one of the first topics is a workaround for connecting the TomTom BT receiver. You shouldn'y need a workaround for their own receiver!!!!

TomToms lack of support is also a concern.

I hope you do get a lot more responses for this petition even if it doesn't get the desired results it might help to open TomToms blinkered eyes.
sandgrounder1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike It does not matter how much you spend. If you buy a new item from the main supplier then it should work.
TazUk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to remember that software is sold differently to most other things, your not buying a product, your buying a license to use a product. The ownership, if you like remains, with the software company, in this case TomTom. Sadly in the computer world people have become used to things not working out of the box and having to wait/install updates and patches to give them the functionality and stability they were expecting from the start.
L_Morgan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Petition Reply with quote

The aim of this strategy is not to obtain compensatory reward. Although TomTom is an overseas company trading standards will look at any complaint where the UK consumer is effected.

How do you think Vauxhall will react if TomTom is featured in the Which magazine?

I do not doubt that there are customers that are very happy with TomTom products – I am with TT3.07T. But there are way too many people with issues regarding TT5. Where the product fails on a continual basis it is not fit for its purpose and therefore, without TomTom posting relevant disclaimers like “This Software May Not Work On Your Device”, should not be rolled out unless their failure rates are at an acceptable level.

You only have to look at the bugs/fixes/gripes throughout this and many other forums to no their fail rate is too high.

The lack of support at TomTom is outrageously disgusting – I too am in business and if I treated my clients with the contempt that TomTom demonstrates with theirs I’d be soon out of business.

Sadly its not just the software TomTom where TomTom is failing it’s the whole package. I’m not on a crusade here, but I see that many posts of negativity with common issues we should do something about it . . .
ROM date: 04/11/06
Radio version 1.09.00
Protocol version: 42.42.P8
ExtROM version: 1.30.162 WWE
CJackel492
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest gripe with TT is that I upgraded to TTN5 to get the LATEST maps,

What I got instead was maps that were still well out of date, or new junctions that are wrong (A34/M4 Junction),

And software that was a step backwards in comparison to TTN3,

Carl,
realistic
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point is that the level of expectation of the product relative to the amount paid is too high.

It isn't perfect I agree: maps can never be up to date witout it costing a lot of money.

It also (for me) does the job.

I have no working knowledge of the Go product, as a stand-alone product I would expect better performance than Navigator for the ppc.
Mike
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My point is that the level of expectation of the product relative to the amount paid is too high.

One does at least expect it to work!

Roger
electricdemon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the trouble with computers/software.

There are too many different configurations to test the software with. I myself have to deal with so many calls from people who buy a pc just to run our software on and it doesnt work with their configuration.

People are too used to just plugging something in and it works. Sadly, this ideal world is still too far off, and there is no way that a software house can test it's products on every possible configuration.

If they did, the price would have to be bumped up to compensate for the millions (or billions) spent purchasing systems to fulfill every possible setup.
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There are too many different configurations to test the software with. I myself have to deal with so many calls from people who buy a pc just to run our software on and it doesnt work with their configuration.

I accept that entirely but what I don't accept is that parts of the software still don't function correctly even though the software is running perfectly on the device. This is not due to device incompatibility or bugs but just software that doesn't work!

Roger
alan_m
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

realistic wrote:

Wrong. I expected the product to work as well as the one it replaced and to do what it said on the side of the box. - no more, no less.

realistic wrote:

It isn't perfect I agree: maps can never be up to date witout it costing a lot of money.

Products costing less have more accurate Navteq maps (at least in my part of the country).

realistic wrote:

It also (for me) does the job.

Maybe you haven't attempteed to use all the feature that TT5 is meant to support.

realistic wrote:

I have no working knowledge of the Go product, as a stand-alone product I would expect better performance than Navigator for the ppc.
Mike

Why? It's meant to be the SAME common platform - one that doesn't work too well on many PDAs.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roger what part of the software doesnt work

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What part of the software doesnt work.

1. Itinerary planning will not allow you to view the planned route unless you have a GPS fix.

2. If you do have a GPS fix Itinerary planning will only calculate the route from your current position.

3. Advanced planning will not allow you to save the planned route.

4. Whilst navigating using Itinerary or Advanced planning selecting a go via completely discards all existing waypoints.

5. The postcode search regularly picks the wrong road since it is based on a point on the map and not actual roads/addresses.

6. The Avoid Motorways routing option does avoid motorways but reverts to the shortest route rather than using the fastest route.

7. If you create an Itinerary with a GPS fix, modify the route using avoid roads etc., then save it, none of the avoids or modifications are saved.

8. This is more a matter of working poorly rather than not working at all but for me is the most important. The fastest routing algorithm uses far too many unmade, minor, narrow unclassified roads to get to the destination. This is often unavoidable at the start and end of a route but is inexcusable in the middle of a route.

That's without the inevitable map errors which do seem much worse when compared with the Navteq 2005 maps used by Navigon.

Apart from all that it runs fine!

Roger

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: