Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - com port 1 missing!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

com port 1 missing!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
humber
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: com port 1 missing! Reply with quote

Can anybody help? I have a toshiba E750 o/s 2003 activesync installed, now i have just installed tom tom 3 navigator, when i try to run the program the first message i get is "com port 1 does not exist" and when i open the gps status>settings>ports, the only ones listed are com ports 2,3,usb,ir native, where is it? as i have been told it needs it to run. It is a tom tom wired receiver. No other programs have been installed. i've heard some reports about a bad gps driver? thanks for any help received RH
markyhedgehog73
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Com port 1 is used by the infrared disable it then go back into tt and you should be able to select it now Smile
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to sure if this will work on your PDA but it might be worth trying - go to settings, conections, IRda and uncheck the "receive all beams" box - then try again, this setting can at times tie up the serial port - as I stated not to sure but its an easy try - if that fails check the speed (Baud) settings at diferent values 4800, and 9600 being common - mike
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done Mark you beat me to it by 2 min
markyhedgehog73
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud Laughing sorry mike!
althought your explaination was more in depth than mine
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humber - it would be "nice" to know if this sorted out you problem as others could then search and find the answer to their problems - any thoughts??
humber
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: sorry late reply Reply with quote

mike, it didn't cure the problem but thanks for trying i have just reinstalled tt 3 navigator after unchecking incoming beams box and am trying now but with my luck it is doubtful thanks again i have been looking on forum for ages.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK a second try - have you got an external keyboard application loaded onto the PDA, if so go into that and somewhere should should be a selection for keyboard OR IRdA/ serial, make sure that it is selected to IRdA/ Serial, with the receive beams off and it might work - I get this problem with my XDA, is the PDA new or was it a second hand purchase? - another option would be to hard reset the device to wipe all settings and put it back to factory default, then try to load TT3 again - Mike
humber
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: hard reset Reply with quote

hi mike, the pda is a toshiba e750, it is new. i have no keyboard installed and have done a hard reset, then installed tt 3 , unchecked beams, still no com port 1 listed. could it be the gps driver, i was told something about a bad driver in tt3, would that do it? thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GPS driver that I used when on TT3 can be downloaded from this site try the following link

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=13

Just install it and it will load over the top of the existing drivers, if that doesn't fix it you could return the PDA as faulty - or do you know if it works, for definate? - Mike
humber
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: com port config Reply with quote

hi mike would you know ,are the com ports set up in windows software or third party software? as mine is missing in tt 3 but when i loaded a water meter reading software it lists com port 1 and is there any way of check the setup or bios setting or would a computor shop be of any use. when i spoke to toshiba last week ,as soon as i mentioned tt 3 they said the fault would be in the third party software, or do you think they are passing the book?(two months warranty left) thanks.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the settings are not avail from the PPC and the 3rd party software should find the port, unless it is barred via an additional program that has "hijacked" the port - have you tried the full hard reset then only install the TT3 and absolutly nothing else then see what happens, I had no problems at all with the TT3 but that was on a different device - Mke
humber
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: hard reset Reply with quote

hi mike, have done i hard reset and just installed tt3 ,but still no com port 1. i have sent back the wired gps receiver for exchange, but if it does not work when i retry it on all the ports available. if that does not work do you think that a bluetooth should be ok.thanks for your help, it is proving a hard one to crack with me being a beginner.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it strange the port doesn't appear, what do you have selected in the top drop down box it should be something like NMEA 0183v2 4800, note to change this you need to uncheck the large box to the left of the drop down box. The 4800 coresponds to the GPS units serial com speed 4800 is a good default to start with. Once that is selected what do you get listed in the ports dialoge box - Mike
humber
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: coms Reply with quote

hi mike when i input either 4800 or tt3 navigator the com 1 does not appear! the setting that always comes up in the box after reinstalling tt3 is always tt3 in the top and ir native in the bottom box and it is ticked. thanks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: