Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - John Cleese 'graphics' display in TT5 voice selection menu
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

John Cleese 'graphics' display in TT5 voice selection menu
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SjB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: John Cleese 'graphics' display in TT5 voice selection menu Reply with quote

Although the "John Cleese" voice works perfectly with my iPAQ2210 / TT5 combination, I am puzzled why the corresponding graphics do not display in the voice selection menu.

To compare with Jane:

Silhouette: Female
Flag: Union flag
Legend: The word "female"
Caption: "Jane English UK"

John Cleese:

Silhouette: Female (huh?!)
Flag: A '?' symbol
Legend: The word "female"
Caption: "Special 39"

My iPAQ doesn't have a Voices directory, so all three John Cleese files (data99.bmp, data99.chk, and data99.vif) exist in My documents\tomtom. Note that I renamed the files from '100' to '99' to solve the 'forgotten settings' problem described in another thread but the problem I describe here happened beforehand too.

Of course not having a nice bitmap doesn't really matter a jot, but it bugs me!

Many thanks.
SjB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add that if I open the .bmp file in a graphics editor I get a picture of John Cleese's face together with a Union flag.
Rabdo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you create a voices directory on your SD card and copy all three files there?

rabdo
SjB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion, but it doesn't work: I created a folder called "Voices" directly against the root of the SD card, but TomTom fails to see the path; John Cleese no longer exists in the list of available voices.

Copying the three files back to their original location restores functionality (apart of course to the problem reported in this thread).
Rabdo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SjB wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion, but it doesn't work: I created a folder called "Voices" directly against the root of the SD card, but TomTom fails to see the path; John Cleese no longer exists in the list of available voices.

Copying the three files back to their original location restores functionality (apart of course to the problem reported in this thread).

Do you have a folder called 'TomTom' in the root of the SD card? If not then create one and the voices should work.

rabdo
Leodis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mines exactly the same mate, just have to go by the number Confused I think that the bitmaps are for TT Go only.

Leo
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other third party custom voices such as Bonnie, Yoda etc have working graphics on my IPAQ.
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Rabdo says above, put the three files in a Voices folder directly on the SD card and also make sure you have set up another empty folder called TOMTOM on the SD card. You might find the Postcode function works properly then also.

Steve
SjB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks. :-)
Much appreciated.

Problem solved by following the advice given; the key was indeed to create an (empty) TomTom folder against the root of the SD card, as well as the Voices folder (also against the root of the SD card) containing the three voice files.

For info I already had postcodes working by manually creating a directory called Zip against "My Pocket PC" in which I placed the Great_Britain.Postal file. I guess from inference that this worked because I also have a directory called TomTom against "My Pocket PC".
Rabdo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SjB wrote:
Many thanks. :-)
Much appreciated.

Problem solved by following the advice given; the key was indeed to create an (empty) TomTom folder against the root of the SD card, as well as the Voices folder (also against the root of the SD card) containing the three voice files.

For info I already had postcodes working by manually creating a directory called Zip against "My Pocket PC" in which I placed the Great_Britain.Postal file. I guess from inference that this worked because I also have a directory called TomTom against "My Pocket PC".

To save pocketpc memory, you can now copy your zip directory to the sd card

rabdo
SjB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Rabdo.

I actually did something similar to this last night; my SysOnChip CF antenna has 256MB storage that I already use to hold GB maps, so I created a TomTom folder and then moved the Zip folder containing the postcodes file. Works a treat.

I do have a similar question though that I would like to ask before I screw anything up; Can the TomTom application be easily moved to the SD or CF card, or is there more to it than cut and paste?

Many thanks,
SjB
floody
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SjB wrote:
Thanks, Rabdo.

I actually did something similar to this last night; my SysOnChip CF antenna has 256MB storage that I already use to hold GB maps, so I created a TomTom folder and then moved the Zip folder containing the postcodes file. Works a treat.

I do have a similar question though that I would like to ask before I screw anything up; Can the TomTom application be easily moved to the SD or CF card, or is there more to it than cut and paste?

Many thanks,
SjB

Rabdo check out this thread as it was something I asked & yes it is as simple as cut & paste with TT5.
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=26473
SjB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip regarding how to move the TT5 application to my CF card. Since doing this I can run the application from my Start / Programs list and from the button assignment that I made, but the Today entry is screwed up.

Instead of the TomTom legend in the Today window I get an empty white rectangle. I guess this is because \TomTom\tttoday.dll (the only file in the \TomTom folder) is no longer valid, but I can't delete it or the folder. When I try, even after a fresh reboot so that TT5 is not running I get a 'locked file' message. I guess the 'lock' is therefore the operating system itself.

How do I uninstall and reinstall this .dll to work with the new CF location of the TT5 application, please?

Thanks as always.
SjB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some progress; Have managed to unlock file tttoday.dll by unticking the TomTom tickbox in Start/Settings/Today/Items and then deleting the file(and the unwanted \TomTom) directory via file explorer.

Currently trying to find out how to regenerate tttoday.dll pointing to the \Mounted Volume\TomTom location where the application now exists.
SjB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Job done.

Copied wzd.cab from the supplied CD to \Mounted Volume\TomTom and then ran it from this location.

TomTom Today functionality restored with the application now moved to CF card from where runtime performance appears to be faster. :-)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: