Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - help me find a solution
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

help me find a solution

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dreamz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: help me find a solution Reply with quote

hello guys .... welll my first post here Smile

i have been asked to suggest a gps based solution and funny thing is that i don't know much about it ... ok here is the problem:

* I want a device that has a built in GPS receiver as well as a GSM Mobile phone module, but only for SMS

purposes

* This device is only supposed to send GPS coordinates in an SMS packet to a receiving Mobile Phone

* Receiving Mobile Phone or SMS receiving device is connected to a Computer with GIS Plotting

Software

* The software automatically receives the GPS coordinates in a SMS and plots them on Map

* The above set of devices will facilitate creation of Map of a street or a colony simply by moving around

the area in a car with devices in it

Alternately,

* The GSM module is only an option. A better solution might be to simply have a sending and receiving wireless setup to replace Mobile Phones.

* This will save the SMS messaging costs

----

sms is obviously is a very expensive solution but it is more handy because then there will be no restriction for the receiver that will be plotting points on map.

the alternative is to find a proprietry solution in which a gps device will send parameters to a laptop or pocket pc not very far away from the device.

so i am thinking about a pocket pc with attached gps device and pocket pc or pda will store the points and then when we will download the points to a computer with mapping software.

what do you think is the best and most economical solution ?

please suggest me some devices and softwares above 3 solutios and also which GIS or mapping tool we should use to plott points. actually i m in pakistan and we don't have gps based maps available here.

thanx in anticipation Smile
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: help me find a solution Reply with quote

It really depends on a number of extra scenarios. Can it be manual sending of data/location ? If so, then a GPS GSM Phone would probably suffice.

If they're looking to have a street routing tool for in-car also, then a Bluetooth connected Pocket PC and Bluetooth phone using GPRS would be best, and GPRS probably would give you a cost saving over time compared to SMS messages.

The problem is you've hit the nail right on the head...."actually i m in pakistan and we don't have gps based maps available here". You can use programs like OziExplorer CE on an iPAQ 3970 and used paper scanned maps, or digital maps that might be available off the internet, these won't necessarily be ideal, but it will be the best option you have until mapping companies wake up and start charting for consumers in countries outside Western Europe and North America.
dreamz
Occasional Visitor

actually the purpose of this is to make rough maps of pieces of land. so i need a mapping tool that will correlate the parameters sent by the gps device.

what do you think about this: a pocket pc with attached gps device, and pocket pc or pda will store the points and then we will download the points to a computer with mapping software.

so for this which devices and softwares you suggest ??
Darren
Frequent Visitor

TrakM8 does much of what you ask, SMS delivery of location etc but the map building would need to be taken care of seperately. Take a look at TrakM8 here.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: