Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mio 168: Tomtom 5 or ALK co-pilot
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mio 168: Tomtom 5 or ALK co-pilot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keithy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Mio 168: Tomtom 5 or ALK co-pilot Reply with quote

Hello, I am new to this and I would appreciate some help. I will shortly be purchasing a PDA with navigation software, I have decided on the Mio 168 but after reading the reviews can't decide between ALK copilot and Tomtom 5. I also intend to run the 'safety' camera software. Any advice would be appreciated.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As to which is best - ask two people and you will probably get three answers!

All that I can say is that I use Co-Pilot 5 on a MIO 168 and have the camers warnings working. Also that I am reasonably happy with it. Yes there are problems, (many documented and argued over on the forums), but a mate who has TomTom 5 (on a differrent PDA) also has problems - just differrent ones! It just happens that the problems I have would cause him more grief then me and vice versa - so in our cases we both made the 'right' (or some may say least wrong!) choice.
keithy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now decided for better or worse, it is mio 168 with TT5 from globalpositioningsystems.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ould be interested in how you get on - particularly since you are using the same PDA as I do.

After all, it is always useful to have information on competing products - especially when they are newer products.
keithy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D Recieved this morning, set up PDA active sync etc no problems.
Tomtom 5 is on a pre installed SD card, this installed ok except for GPS device connection:- There is no information in the Mio manual to show which type of connection to choose, however, I went for the second option, good guess! Took it outside it found my position in less than 2 minutes - impressed.
Planned a local route and deliberately took some wrong turns, TT5 picked them all up and rerouted very quickly. so far so good.
1 question though, TT5 came on a 128Mb SD card, can I copy this to a 256Mb card and use the extra storage for other applications or files?
JorgenvonStrangle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mine copied to a 512MB card to put the extra country maps on, so yes you can. I find TT5 better than the Medion branded Navigon 4.2 that came on my machine. The only problem I have is one poi icon not showing(which I have asked about in the TT forum) and the other is that occasionally the arrow jumps off the road I'm on for a few seconds and then either jumps back or recalculates the route. I'm wondering if this is down to the heat reflecting windscreen though as it sometimes takes ages for TTFF as well.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: