Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Review?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Review?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ramzez
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Review? Reply with quote

I just wonder if some one reviewed it for series 60 and UIQ version?

cheers
Nords
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have it for the 910 and think it is better than wayfarer or Route 66? I'm going to buy one of them and am finding it difficult to choose between them all.

PS Is Tomtom 5 out for the 910? Their web site doesn't list the Ericsson as supported...
gyre
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have navicore personal for the p910i.

I've not really got anything to compare it against. I don't own route66 and I only played with wayfinder on a trial for 2 ish days. It seems far snappier than wayfinder, even allowing for wayfinder to cache the map section.

I'm happy to answer questions about it, or post screenshots of any part.

At the moment, I've been busy using their new poi-creation tool. The pocketgps safetycam database converts like a dream with speed-related proximity alerts etc.

I've just finished making a poi for all the Chinese restaurants in Cornwall. Was very easy.

-- gyre --
ramzez
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally someone got it. GReat!!!!

can you post a screenshot of how you enter the address, the most annoying this about wayfinder was that you either need to use stylus or keyboard. route 66 provides pda style input (large letter squeares) easily put in by fingers.

also is it possible to operate it just by one hand and not using stylus or keyboard.

what are your likes and dislikes?

thanks a lot.
gyre
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I've taken some screenshots of how to enter an address.

As you can see in the last screeshot, there is a way of entering text with your fingers with something called navieditor. I've not used it so far.

If you need more info, just shout.

I'll try to put together a mini-review in the next day or two. In the meantime, here are my lists of likes and dislikes so far.

Program co-exists with other apps on the phone.
Zooming around the map is fast and easy.
Voice is clear and loud.
Directions are clear.
Re-routes very quickly and automatically.
Adding 3rd party POIs is neat.
Can use blutooth headphone for calls at same time.
gps receiver is small, accurate, and cute.

Dislikes:
Can't enter full UK postcode (Can use 3rd party POI for that).
Adding waypoints to existing route by using the map can be frustrating at times.
Stepping through the route chosen in advance can be frustrating for same reason.
ramzez
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a lot.

will wait for your mini review :-)
Jimbers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gyre,

are you using the GPS receiver in the bundle from Mobilefun? If so can you confirm that its wireless bluetooth to the P910i and give me an idea of how long it takes to charge? and whether you charge it from the Cigarette lighter.....thing is I have a renault with a reflective screen that interfere's/precludes the use of GPS Antennas (for example with my current snooper)......so I'm interested in the claim that the GPS receiver doesn't need line of sight....but if it does how long will it work on battery say on the rear parcel shelf?

Also my main reason for looking at Sat Nav now is to replace my snooper.......without a specific journey planned in will the software alret you to camera's and riskzones?....and can you hear it clearly over a moderately loud radio station or CD?

THx
Nords
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gyre,

thanks for that, it appears that with Route 66's inability to do POI, Navicore may be the way to go. I'll be waiting for the review too!

Cheers

K
gyre
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay, I've been navigating around the little twisty roads in Cornwall, UK for the last week Smile

Yes, I'm using the globalsat-badged GPS receiver in the bundle from mobilefun.

It uses blutooth to talk to the p910i.

The battery life seems pretty good. They claim about 15 hours. I've not measured it, but it must be close to that.

From empty, it does take a while to charge with the supplied cigarette lighter-adaptor. Maybe 3 hours.

I'm having one issue with the receiver at the moment... it seems to take sometimes 3-5 mins to lock-on to the satellites after being left for a day. Cold boot? Wrong clock time? I'll have to track this down.

Once it has locked on, it is rock solid and can be left in the glove compartment or ashtray or whatever inside the car for the rest of the journey. booting within a few hours after that it is much faster.

If you download the excellent pocketgps safety camera database and convert to navicore's internal format with their free tool, yes, you will be warned if you are speeding past a safety camera. You can set the proximity at which you are warned from a small set of pre-defined proximites.

You will get a sound when you trigger a proxmity detector. It is loud enough to hear over a CD. However, it seems to be the same sound for all POIs with proxmity alerts, so if you have more than one then you'll have to look at the screen to see which it is moaning about.

-- gyre --
gyre
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, didn't make it clear. You don't have to have had a route defined to trigger proximity alerts. They do trigger just by having the program running.

After a nice relaxing week's holiday, I'll knuckle down to the mini-review in the next few days.

I'm sure glad I had navicore around Cornwall... I'd have been well and truely screwed trying to find most of the places I wanted to visit without it Smile

-- gyre --
Jimbers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gyre,

Many thx for such a comprehensive answer. I'm sold and when I return form Hols I'll ptich in with my experiences once I'm up and running!

Thanks Again
ramzez
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would be great to see some more screeshots with turning instructions

also, i wonder if the instructions are similar to tomtom or wayfinder, i like wayfinder way better :-)

cheers.
gyre
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, will try to generate turning instructions screenshots.

Sorry for the delay in the mini-review. Work kinda got in the way.

Turning is done quite neatly in Navicore. If two turns are near each other, you will get both visual and audible instructions for each of them in turn.

For example:

in 200 yards, take the first turning, and then take the second turning

for 2 mini-roundabouts that are back-to-back.

In addition, there will be 2 turn indications on the screen... a big one for the turn you're about to make, and a smaller one below that for the next turn.

-- gyre --
ramzez
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that, does it says when to turn twice? once before some yards and the other time when it is just to turn?

also, is it possible to rotate the screen (tomtom for p910 can rotate screen so to use it horizontally) ?

thanks.
gyre
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get the first announcment in advance. Then you get another as you get to/are on the turn.

Navicore is very quiet while no turns need to be made. It doesn't ever say 'straight over'... you just have to assume that this is the default until it tells you otherwise... either that or your phone has died Smile

I've not seen anywhere an ability to rotate the screen 90 degrees.

-- gyre --

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: