Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Cautionary tale: using TT5 'Shortest Route' in France (long)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Cautionary tale: using TT5 'Shortest Route' in France (long)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Cautionary tale: using TT5 'Shortest Route' in France (long) Reply with quote

It was only an hour's drive from Boulogne to a friend's house and I'd driven it several times previously but I'd upgraded to TT5 and wanted to try out the detailed 'France' map, didn't I?
I asked for the shortest route.
Within fifteen kilometres I was directed off the route I knew, along the equivalent of an 'A' road which then became a 'B' road. Then another 'B' road followed by another and then an instruction to turn right onto a gravel track which I ignored assuming the correct turning must be just round a bend to the left.
It wasn't so I made a U-turn and headed along the gravel track, past a Moto-cross circuit after which the gravel track became rather more 'agricultural' between two fields of wheat.
I continued, the track surface worsened and from the brow of a hill I could see nothing but fields of corn on all directions with just a very rutted rack stretching before me in to the distance. I couldn't turn round because of the waist-high wheat on either side so continued, the ruts so deep the centre ridge was scrapping the car's undertray (Audi A4 Avant).
Then I came across a field of stubble, turned into it to U-turn and heard a loud 'crunch' from under the car. As I completed the turn I saw a large pointed rock in the headlights - oh dear...... (that's the polite version!)
Wife by this time is getting snappy - you and your stupid toys....!!
Back along the track to the road, stop peer under car, no visible damage, re-program for the fastest route and continue journey arriving a half an hour later that if we'd taken the route I already knew.
Moral of story: make sure you're driving a 4x4 when using 'Shortest Route'!!

There was a bonus on the return trip though. I asked for the 'Fastest Route' and TT5 took me along a new stretch of road which shaved fifteen minutes off the time.....
TazUk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used the Shortest route option a couple of times near Canterbury, the first took me down some pretty obscure roads, the kind that normally only see tractors 8O but I got to the destination Ok. The second time it directed me down a road which had a gate across and a "private keep out" sign. Quick U turn and tried the next suggestion, this was a bridleway. When it says Shortest route it obviously means it literally :P
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never use the Shortest Route option since I find that the Quickest Route will do that very nicely and send me down the narrowest, unclassified roads anyway with no opportunity to turn round and every possibility of bodywork damage from overhanging branches and trees.

Seriously though, the routing algorithms in TTN5 need a serious overhaul or at least the option to specify road speeds in order to avoid all these farm tracks.

Roger
jaybeetoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure some of the problems are to do with the quality of the mapping data.

Whenever I navigate from home (Fastest route) it always directs me via a road that dosn't exist.
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm amazed that for that part of northern France it was considered a track impassable for a normal car was suitable for inclusion in a set of directions.
Is that a mapping fault or is it the fault of TT's routing algorithms?
On the other hand someone driving a 4x4 or on an off-road motorcycle, a bicycle or even walking might have used the route so perhaps there should be a 'health warning' - Selecting the shortest route may seriously damage your sump'.
Perhaps future releases of TT should include a 'vehicle used' option.
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT5 is designed for use on foot and on two wheels - the fault is not the mapping, it is the interpretation of the data. If I was using the new TT devices intended for use on foot, bicycle and motorbike, I would be well off with a multi-mile detour because cars couldn't go that way.
TazUk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

julianbarker wrote:
TT5 is designed for use on foot and on two wheels - the fault is not the mapping, it is the interpretation of the data.

True, but you have the options of Fastest, Shortest, Avoid motorways, Walking, Bicycle and Limited speed. Surely the options not specific to walking and cycling would assume you were driving and so plan accordingly.
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't expect that asking for the 'Shortest route' would direct me along 'roads' i.e. gravel tracks, that were totally unsuitable for anything but an off-road vehicle.
Sossage
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really funny.....haven't stopped laughing yet.

But can't be as good as driving from Tatsfield in Kent to Maidstone in Kent and being directed onto the M25 by an emergency services "slip" - made accelerating into the traffic interesting !!!
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see we're heading for a thread entitled: 'TT5 - most outlandlish shortest route'

I wonder if anyone has been directed to use Heathrow 09Ryet?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: