Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Introduction: 'Ello all I'm PsiDOC
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Introduction: 'Ello all I'm PsiDOC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PsiDOC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Introduction: 'Ello all I'm PsiDOC Reply with quote

Have been lurking here for a couple of weeks and just registered. I'm a computer engineer by trade and run my own PC call out service business. Because of my location (West Wales) I run a Mitsi Pajero 4x4 due to the lanes I have to run to get to various places in the course of my job (I also repair dedicated PC systems that are used on farms on milking parlours, hoppers and the like).
I am running an Acer N35 PDA Gps with TomTom 5 and Memory map for off roading, which has become a hobby since buying the Pajero - I never could see the point of owning a 4x4 and just driving it to Tescos!
Why did I get a GPS?
A few weeks ago I had a call out to somewhere in the armpit of nowhere that I did not have a clue where it was, so off we go to Multimap.com to postcode search it and print out a map of where it is... No worries.
I found the place ok, and soreted to problem, however on the way back I came accross an accident where a lady had run into a herd of cows, one cow back end in through the passenger side windscreen. She was obviously in shock. I had barely a signal on my cellphone however managed to get through on a 999 call. I had no clue where I was and trying to get the shocked driver to explain was almost impossible. Eventually we established where we were by landmarks (fairplay to the lady on the 999 service. she was on the ball).
The Police and ambulance turned up and the situation was dealt with, fortunately no injuries to the lady in the car. So then then I had to divert from my pre-determined route off my maps and use the compass in the truck to get to the main roads.
Aftre getting to the main roads I thought. If I'd have had a GPS the emergency services could have found us by Lat & Long details AND I wouldn't have had to spend an hour trying to find the main road afterwards!
That night I logged onto my supplier's website and orded the Acer. It's the best thing I ever did. No "Road Warrior" should be without one.
I ran it with the destinator 3 software supplied for a few days but I thought it's be cool to have 7 digit postcode functionality and ditched destinator in favour of TomTom 5 which is working very well.
I have also grabbed the Speedcam DB and upped it as well (very handy - even if running a Diesel 4x4 that lets you know in NO uncertain terms that you are speeding!). A huge than you for that.
I have also purchased Memory Map 2004 for the off roading side of things and that's proving to be very useful as well for plotting waypoints for future off road runs for the 4x4 clubs I am a member of.

So... yeah, that's me and about me.

Regards,
Psi
PsiDOC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes mental note to self... use the preview as yer spelling is lousy!!
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi PsiDOC,

Welcome to the forum.

I hope you find it useful.

Regards,

Bo Peep.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: