Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin vs TomTom vs Navman
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin vs TomTom vs Navman
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
themitch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: Garmin vs TomTom vs Navman Reply with quote

Ok, I have narrowed it down, I think, to Garmin c320, TomTom GO 300 and the Navman 510/520.

Trouble is I can't decide which is better now?

I spoke with a shop the other day who said not to touch Navman with a barge pole?!? The manager there said "We bought 20 of them and had 8 back with complaints!". So that's sort of put me off the Navman.

That leaves Garmin and TomTom ... any views?

Thanks
djmek
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most PROBABLY the 8 that were taken back were taken back for some of the following reasons.

1. trying in install service pack 1 incorrectly.

2. technophobia.

3. impatience, not trying it long enough and adjusting settings to suit.

4. expecting it to be like a 2000 pound unit that does everything for you.

5. I could go on .......

If it's any help to you, I was nearly buying the garmin with PDA facilities, but I only wanted a SAT/NAV unit. I can assure you if you get a 510 and you set it up properly you will be delighted with it.
Preference for Motorways & Freeways...More Often......Maximum Right.
Preference for Urban Roads
northbynorthwest
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a Navman 510 for a few days and I must say that I was generally very impressed with it. The only negative thing I found was that there are a few peculiarities with the mapping software - addresses coming up under non-existent towns/villages, being shown in the middle of a field etc. 99.9% of the time it worked flawlessly.

I found out on this Forum that the 520 was due out soon and after an e-mail to the company that I bought it from, enquiring about new 2005 software, they replied saying that if Navman wouldn't upgrade the mapping software they would happily accept the 510 back for a full refund, I could then buy the 520 if I so wished.

What I'm not impressed with is the fact that Navman haven't replied to either of two messages left on their website, the first being over a week ago. The supplier of the 510 didn't receive a reply to thier e-mail either. The 510 has since gone back.

From my experience I can’t help but think that their customer service isn't up to much, so I may now look to a different manufacturer for another Sat-Nav. Perhaps others have had better results with Navman’s customer service.
ferret79
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Most PROBABLY the 8 that were taken back were taken back for Reply with quote

Well what a load of crap....people take the navman 510 back because the darn things don't work (although 2 out of 10 mite at a push) and not because they havn't read the instructions - or are impatient etc etc... or expect it to perform like a 2 grand unit... i took both of mine back and destroyed the third one out of pure frustration because of the problems that i had with them, .... yes i read ALL the instructions was very patient and read the instructions again - the result was 3 crap units in a row....Get a garmin my freind as i did and you will have NO problems.
djmek
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Of course some people would be better off with a AA UK Map with the Safety Camera's mapped out too. There much harder to launch off a clay pigeon shooter.

on the customer service side of things, i called at random times, 4 times, and got Fisrt class excellent service and instructions to any question i asked, One girl even stayed on the phone with me for 23 minutes to help me install something i was'nt sure of. never once did i email them, whats the point when theres a helpline?

In the end you buy what you fancy or within your price range, I personally for 400 pounds Aprox, would say the 510 is great.
(No matter what some person with a grudge against the company may say)
northbynorthwest
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djmek wrote:
never once did i email them, whats the point when theres a helpline?

What's the point in having a system to leave an e-mail on their website if they don't bother to respond? If they do have a contact helpline number on their website, it certainly didn't stand out like the "send us an e-mail" link.

Like I said, the 510 seemed very good but Navman don't appear to respond to e-mails. I'm pleased to hear that djmek found a contact telephone number and someone actually answered it.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ferret79 has a point. He's made it over and over and over again and appears to have nothing better to do than bag Navman. That’s his choice, and I give ferret credit for his tenacity. Personally I love the 510. It’s a good product and I have had excellent support from Navman. Would I buy another – no - the 520 has just been released, I would buy that model.
djmek
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

northbynorthwest wrote:
djmek wrote:
never once did i email them, whats the point when theres a helpline?

What's the point in having a system to leave an e-mail on their website if they don't bother to respond? If they do have a contact helpline number on their website, it certainly didn't stand out like the "send us an e-mail" link.

Like I said, the 510 seemed very good but Navman don't appear to respond to e-mails. I'm pleased to hear that djmek found a contact telephone number and someone actually answered it.

I printed out the manual from the CD and their contact number is at the back, surprise surprise Laughing
As I said, go by the book not what some disgruntled purchasers say. 8)

I tried Garmin in the USA it was OK, I tried quite a few others in the UK, they were OK, I prefered the 510, I bought one, It had a small problem, The Navman Number was called he said take it back and get another, I have the replacement up and running to perfection yes PERFECTION, Ok some new roads around my area are not on the maps, but I can assure you neither are they on the Garmin and the Tom Tom i have tried.

So to THEMITCH its up to you, all I did was give you my honest opinion on the 510 wich is "Perfection for Me"
sundance
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: 510 Reply with quote

I've only had my 510 for a couple of weeks. But already we are taking trips that we would never have taken before as we are such bad navigators. we are even doing a 500 mile trip to Devon in september. Ive never done more than 100 miles before.

on friday we went to surrey from north kent and i got navman to route me down lanes as i hate the m25. we never stopped once were there in an hour. and the next day I found out some friends were stuck on that M25 snarl up for 8 hours.

Can u ask anymore of a bit of kit? I think people are getting way to worried about new models or price drops etc. my friend is a multidrop driver and uses some old satnav program on a palm. he uses it all day everyday. it doesnt even have speech but hes not fretting. it does its job and he understands it. thats the main thing.

I love the 510 but Im sure the garmin and the TomTom would have changed my driving expereince just as well. I chose the 510 cos a cab i was in was using one and I got to watch it work for an hour so knew waht I was getting. Ive since heard u get a better choice of waht type of roads u take with the 510. thats a bonus for me . like I said. I live near the m25 but would rather avoid it most of the time. some of the A roads are really busy and slow around here. So i just like being routed around back streets and lanes without a clue where I am, only to emerge at destination amazed. Smile

Would also like to say. This site is great and I have already had help from mods and members here on POIs and routing etc. Laughing
northbynorthwest
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djmek wrote:
I printed out the manual from the CD and their contact number is at the back, surprise surprise Laughing

That's all very well for someone who already has a Navman, but not much use for an equiry prior to purchase if they don't answer e-mails!

Still no reply to the e-mails I left on their website - the first 11 days ago!!
djmek
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

northbynorthwest wrote:
djmek wrote:

That's all very well for someone who already has a Navman, but not much use for an equiry prior to purchase if they don't answer e-mails!

Still no reply to the e-mails I left on their website - the first 11 days ago!!

I never thought of emailing before i bought one i must admit, most of the shops i saw different models in were very helpful, especially Halfords, If you have been a member of this forum for a while why did'nt you ask here? instead of emailing navman.
What sort of question did you email them with?
northbynorthwest
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djmek wrote:
What sort of question did you email them with?

I wondered if Navman would upgrade the 2 day old Navman to the latest software, so that was one question I asked. The other question was “Is there going to be another upgrade to the mapping in the next few months” - as indicated elsewhere on this forum (V4?).
djmek
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see, usefull questions when thinking of purchasing.

Just a footnote I thought i'd put in seeing as this thread is soon coming to a close.

When I looked at several brands, I tried the 510 first and it did'nt have my street on it, bit of a shocker there, no thanks then. So i tried a few more like Garmin IPAQ TOM TOM etc etc, neither did they??????
Then you take your mind off seeing your street on a map and remember that you live in a row of terraced houses in the middle of 2 cul de sacs, no road just a street name, that was my first problem Laughing Out Loud.

Then, think, hey there building a brand new dual carraigeway A road, Called the A726 from East Kilbride to the M77, when will that road be on ANY of the maps. Now the A726 that originally went to Paisley is the A727. And think why does it tell you to go to the nearest road when your are in Sainsburys or Tescos car parks, All of them do that, all brands, (In East Kilbride & Glasgow area anyway)
I know this is a countrywide issue but its a Under 700 pound price range for the unit issue too.
Deciding what to buy in the end is a nightmare, i'll tell you whats worse though, actually buying a unit and your mate gives you the software for TOM TOM 5 saying .. your cell phone will take this no problem. Laughing Out Loud

Back to customer service on the last note, I called them today about a question i had about cases for the 510, and anything else i could think of, the girl gave me answers and asked how my unit was performing and so on, she could'nt have been more helpful. NAVMAN ICN-510 RULES ABOVE ALL OTHERS I TRIED 8)
navboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: NAVMAN poi advance alert issue Reply with quote

Hi guys

I am using a navman 510 and have set it up with the speed camera database. My problem is that when approaching a camera I get the warning beep when I've reached the camera and not in advance. The icon appears in advance but no beep. In the settings I've set it up to give me a 300 yards advance warning.

Has anyone else experienced this and is there a fix for it.

Any comments appreciated.
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mine set for about 600 yards or thereabouts. This allows for the time lag when doing 70mph!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: