Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Non-BT GPS receiver with SiRF Star III
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Non-BT GPS receiver with SiRF Star III

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Non-BT GPS receiver with SiRF Star III Reply with quote

Hi all,

Can anyone advice me on a GPS unit with SiRF Star III chipset that can be connected to a PDA by cable instead of bluetooth? I currently own an Onyx GPS Mouse (RFG-1000) which works just this way. It was delivered with a single cable connecting the receiver to both power outlet and PDA - extremely handy. This saves me the hassle of connecting to bluetooth manually each time I want to use the system and the PDA GPS driver in my PDA is started automatically by plug-and-play whey I connect the cable. Perfect, except that the RFG-1000 supports only 8 GPS channels...

Cheers,

Ulf
Garmin GPSMap 60CSx (SW ver. 3.70)
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found an answer myself through some digging on the internet. The Holux GPSlim 236 offers dual interfaces for connection - both serial and BT. The question is now if there's a cable available that lets me connect the GPS receiver to my iPAQ 2210 and at the same time powering both units from my cigg outlet. I will email Holux and ask if they provide such cables.

Does anyone know if there are more SiRF Star III receivers available with this dual functionality?

Regards,

Ulf
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found three GPS Mouse receivers (only serial interface) with SiRF Star III that are probably more what I'm looking for - and most likely cheaper than Holux GPSlim 236:

Holux GR-213
Globalsat BR-355
Globalsat BU353

The specs for these units look similar to their big brothers Globalsat BT-338 and Holux GPSlim-236, except that bluetooth is omitted. It would be nice to see some tests on above GPS mouse receivers on PocketGPSWorld to see how they compare Smile

/Ulf
ttrevor
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the cable from Holux (£25) it alloys you to connect for charging and also a cable gps,on one end of the cable i have the mini usb that goes into the 236 and on the other end of the cable i have the Rj11 that fits into the y connection box that goes to my Brodit holder and PDA.
Iphone x 64gb IOS 11.3.1 / IPhone 6 Plus 32gb IOS 12 beta /Volkswagen Scirocco R 280 bhp /Suzuki Vitara swb vvt+ /Suzuki Jimny special/running Apple Mac Mini / Apple air/ iPhone x /6 plus navigation / Apple car-play

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: