Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - So confused.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

So confused.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill_D
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:34 am    Post subject: So confused. Reply with quote

1st off great site, I've been reading for hours. #2, I am about to buy my 1st GPS. Here's what i need/want, what do you think would be my most practical choice. I just need it for mapped driving instructions, also need the local weather radar images only. Is this weather satelite imagery only available from Tom Tom? And whjat would be my best value in a small unit. Was lookin at Tom Tom 300. Magellan 700 maybe? Any suggestions, and thought on how much the weather service costs per month or year? Thanks in advance!!
Donald
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: So confused. Reply with quote

Bill_D wrote:
1st off great site, I've been reading for hours. #2, I am about to buy my 1st GPS. Here's what i need/want, what do you think would be my most practical choice. I just need it for mapped driving instructions, also need the local weather radar images only. Is this weather satelite imagery only available from Tom Tom? And whjat would be my best value in a small unit. Was lookin at Tom Tom 300. Magellan 700 maybe? Any suggestions, and thought on how much the weather service costs per month or year? Thanks in advance!!

Hiya Bill & Welcome aboard.

I am going to leave it to others who are more experienced, to answer in depth on specific choices

I note that you are considering dedicated systems. I humbly suggest that you open up the field by not discounting Pocket Computer (PDA) running the appropriate software (Tom Tom s/w is available for PDAs)

Choosing a GPS system is almost as bad as choosing a new mobile phone. Almost! There is a lot available

Pros/cons of dedicated versus PDA (as I see it-others may disagree)

Dedicated unit:
Pro: Easy to install and set up. Almost a 'fit and forget' system. Basically only one item to buy
Con: Only is a GPS system. Doesn't have the versatility of a 'Personal Data Assistant' which now-a-days is a proper computer that fits in the pocket (PPC)

PDA (PPC) version:
Pros: will be as useful as a dedicated unit with no degradation in facilities or performance. If anything it could out perform and have more facilities because of absolute users choice on the different software and hardware available. There are also more third party plug-ins available
Apart from being a very goo GPS system, a PPC versionis exactly that, A Pocket Computer.
It will synchronise with you main PC for address books, wordprocessors, spreadsheets, databases etc etc. You also get a darn good MP3 player, pocket recorder, photo viewer et al! When it's finished doingthe gps bit, you slip it in your pocket and have all your personal data at your finger tip.

Cons:
You need 4 bits of kit to choose:
a) The software (Tom Tom or other)
b) A PPC (PDA)
c) A GPS Receiver
d) A car mounting unit

Some PDAs come with a built in GPS receiver (See the MIO 186 or is it a MIO 168)
Some car mounting kits come with a built in GPS receiver too.

The PPC system requires a wee bit more effort to setup. In my opinion the small extra effort far outweighs the benefits and advantages. My benefits or example:

I have 12 hours of classical music to listen to on my pda (The amount is only limited on how much memory you buy)…
I have over 500 names and addresses, fully categorised, in my address book…
I have a full book (A play) to read together with the same book in audio so that I can listen and learn at any time of my choosing…
I use the Appointment calendar extensively – never missed and appointment or event in the last 3 years since I became a PPC addict…
I use the built in calculator a lot ‘coz my maths are not too good.
The ‘To Do’ list is a constant reminder…
I can scribble quick notes – yes, scribble in my own unreadable scrawl…
As a keen digi-photographer, I can slide my camera memory into my PPC and preview the pics on a bigger screen than my camera…
Etc etc etc……

I hope that I have not thrown too much confusion into the ring but given you some food for thought. Basically the first decision you need to make is Dedicated or PPC.

Given the choice of starting over again, I would undoubtedly choose the PPC route to the solution. The difference in costs is marginal.

If others disagree with that, speak up now, or forever hold thy peace!

What ever your choice Bill, you will find much help in his forum. I wish you well with your endeavours.

Cheers
londonstone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the first time I have heard of weather imagery being available on a GPS.
I can't see how it's available unless you download it from the internet.
Surely GPS units aren't complex enough to supply such data yet are they?

I'd suggest you buy a decent PDA tha can connect to the web to download your weather graphics, and also run TomTom or Navman as a SatNav solution.
EvilTwin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

londonstone wrote:
This is the first time I have heard of weather imagery being available on a GPS.
I can't see how it's available unless you download it from the internet.
Surely GPS units aren't complex enough to supply such data yet are they?

TomTom Nav 5 can use a bluetooth connection to a GPRS enabled phone to get the relevant weather data. Which is a great idea, but a bit gimicky for my liking, after all if i'm driving somewhere, i can look out of the window to tell me what the weather is like where i arrive; If its rainy i then put my coat on before i get out. If i'm going to be traveling a large distance, i turn my radio on in the car, and get hourly weather updates, just after the news broadcast.This may sound like crazy mad foolishness, but it keeps my cash in my pocket, and not in tomtoms.....

The same applys to tomtom's trafic facility: my radio has a magical system called RDS it means that i get told of traffic hazards before i get to them, and with the power of my finger i use the avoid facility in tomtom to 'magicly' re-route to more free flowing roads.

The point i'm trying to make is the tomtom plus stuff (weather, voices, traffic etc.) are generally expensive toys that most people simply dont need.
Bill_D
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I shoulda beeen a little more specific to my needs. I rely on radar weather heavily via my laptop now, as the business I run involves alot of electrical equipment used outdoors, and being one step ahead of the storm is key. I cant tell you how many times where we didnt have to pack up everything although the skies look immenent, but the radar would should storm just missing us. Saves us all the labor of packing everything up and stopping work. Soooo, for me the idea of having this tech available in a small device like a GPS unit would be great!! However i am realizing this may be down the road a bit. So I'm back to probably just needing this for street navigation only then. Oh well, I thought that might of been just to good to be true. Sad
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bill can you update your profile please so we know which country your in

i take it your in the states if so tt5 wont do satelite imigary if fact gps cant do that al you get with gps is the data to tell you where you are on the planet i think youll have to use the lap top connected to the one of the weather centres or a meterology site in sure the team have more info than me
there are sites that let you access sattelite imigary but as far a i konw they do charge for the access and i think youll need more software to plot your position with the laptop link to the gps receiver

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Bill_D
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing This is what I need!!! I just ordered it!!!! Yahoooeeeee!!!!!!!!
http://gpsworldsupply.com/gps_world_supply.php?step=productinfo&productNum=010-00425-00&OVRAW=garmin%20xm%20gps&OVKEY=garmin%20gps%20with%20xm&OVMTC=standard
Bill_D
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I changed to this affordable solution nstead. I pre ordered it. Should ship in a week they tell me. My XW sercive will be about $29 a month.
http://www.mobilemag.com/redirect.php?content=4325

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: