Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - iCN520?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

iCN520?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
themitch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: iCN520? Reply with quote

Has anyone else heard about the forthcoming Navman iCN 520? According to Navman Sales it is all a bit hush hush but should be 'exclusively' in Halfords by the end of the month, will be a similar form to the 510 but in black and have the new 2005 maps.

I wonder if it's worth waiting for or whether I should just go for the TomTom 500?

M
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not an answer to your question, but you managed to post this seven times! When you've submitted your post, please wait for confirrmation that it has been posted instead of clicking Submit again and again. When the forum is slow this might take a little more time.

As to the 520 or the Tomtom, if you like and prefer Navman, wait. It's smaller than the Go but lacks Bluetooth, although IMO it excels in other areas.
themitch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, sorry 'bout the multiple posts, this whole broadband thing is making me far too impatient these days - I guess I expect things to happen instantaneously.

As for the TomTom vs Navman debate. I agree about the size issue and that was why I was starting to lean on the Navman side, but then the maps are quite out of date (at the moment) on the Navman and the lack of bluetooth is quite annoying too.

From what I have read, feature-wise, to me it looks like the TomTom is starting to push ahead of the Navman. Where do you feel the Navman excels over the TomTom.

Thanks
RonS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having only just bought my iCN 510 with V3 s/w andmaps from 2004, I (and I am sure many others) am more than a little peeved to have a new model, with 2005 maps, on sale almost immediately. In fact I am very peeved!!

Will Navman be making a CD (or download) available so that our maps can be updated?
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themitch wrote:
Oops, sorry 'bout the multiple posts, this whole broadband thing is making me far too impatient these days - I guess I expect things to happen instantaneously.

As for the TomTom vs Navman debate. I agree about the size issue and that was why I was starting to lean on the Navman side, but then the maps are quite out of date (at the moment) on the Navman and the lack of bluetooth is quite annoying too.

From what I have read, feature-wise, to me it looks like the TomTom is starting to push ahead of the Navman. Where do you feel the Navman excels over the TomTom.

Thanks

I prefer the Navman's interface and the multi-stop feature. I think the Tomtom makes it easier to add Custom POIs and I like the full postcode lookup on the newer models.
jmagla
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just bought an icn 510 last week, I like others are a little bit peeved, particularly as my street (house 7 years old) is not on the V3 maps.

I bought it from QVC so have the option of sending it back within 30 days for a full refund. I realise it is early days regarding the capabilities of the 520 but cant help thinking that it will be an improved version of what I have. I couldnt see any mention of it on Navman.com so it's hard to judge what the improvements are (full postcode?), are the maps liekly to be more recent?.

Has anyone seen any more info online other than the press release?.

I think I might return it and get the 520!.

Cheers
themitch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonS wrote:
Having only just bought my iCN 510 with V3 s/w andmaps from 2004, I (and I am sure many others) am more than a little peeved to have a new model, with 2005 maps, on sale almost immediately. In fact I am very peeved!!

Will Navman be making a CD (or download) available so that our maps can be updated?

Hi RonS

I asked Navman: if I bought an iCN 510 today would I be entitled to get the upgraded software and maps free when they are released, ie in 3 weeks time? He said not. This is part of the reason why I think sod it, I'll just buy the TomTom if that's their attitude!

Most software companies understand that there is a cut-off time, after which any puchases are eligible to free upgrades, especially when they haven't publicised the new release. It's just good customer relations/retention.
RonS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi themitch,

I agree with your comments. In fact most decent companies offer existing users either a free update (if shortly after purchase) or at least a significant price reduction. I think that Navman just don't care about users once they have made their purchase and handed over the money.

I have found their tech service also pretty incompetent at solving a problem I had saving POI files. It was solved (see other thread) from a vital clue given by another user.

We can only live in hope that Navman will see the light and take a longer term view of their commercial actions.
mcewena
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmagla wrote:
Having just bought an icn 510 last week, I like others are a little bit peeved, particularly as my street (house 7 years old) is not on the V3 maps.

I think I might return it and get the 520!.

Cheers

There will ALWAYS be a new model of most any technical product you buy that's just the nature of the market place. It sounds like the 520 is just a software update of the 510, so if you're happy with the 510 no reason to feel jilted. However if the data's out of date, you're in luck if you're within your stores grace period.

Any idea what date the map data is on the 510 and 520?

Copilot has a compedative upgrade program that will let you buy their software cheaper if you send in the other guys, not a bad deal if you just bought a Navman pin which still has V2 data. Navman might want to think about something similar. I wonder if you could install the Mio 136 software on a 510?
m62-to-hull
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waiting to buy after the hardware & software updates ....

One day you've got to get on the ladder otherwise you'll end up with nothing.
In 1990 I worked with a Malcolm who didn't buy a PC because there was an update due.
In 1991 a faster chip arrived but another was around the corner & Malcolm still didn't buy.
In 1994 a faster chip arrived, etc.
In 1995 Windows95 arrived, etc.

and it went on & on until in 1996 when Malcolm finally had a PC thrust upon him at work. He found he didn't have the skills to operate it ...nor one of half the power.

Jump on the ladder, get the benefits now & see what happens for tomorrow.
gambitgander
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m62-to-hull, well said!! In an era of bits 'n bites, it's impossible to stay ahead of the technology curve... unless you are very rich and very connected ;) Also, I don't know of any GPS company that provides free version or map updates as a standard procedure. They would lose a fortune if this were the case, as they have to pay license fees to the map data providers.
mcewena
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd sort of like to wait to be sure the new software can be loaded on a 510 though... ;)
JamesK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way of finding out when stocks of the 520 will start hitting the shops?

I know with some product launches it can take months after the announcement for the product to actually arrive in the shops.
themitch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gambitgander wrote:
m62-to-hull, well said!! In an era of bits 'n bites, it's impossible to stay ahead of the technology curve... unless you are very rich and very connected ;) Also, I don't know of any GPS company that provides free version or map updates as a standard procedure. They would lose a fortune if this were the case, as they have to pay license fees to the map data providers.

Gambitgander,

I don't think anyone is saying the upgrades should be free across the board (although that would be very nice!), just that if you bought an iCN510 within, say, the last 4 weeks, then you should be entitled to some concession on the upgrade, especially if they didn't tell you a major new release was imminent (which they must have known!).
DreX
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The New Navman Icn 520 Launches this week

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: