Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Gps unreliable
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Gps unreliable

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philbattenburg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Gps unreliable Reply with quote

I have an iPaq 2210 running TomTom 3 with the maps installed on an SD card, and a TomTom bluetooth GPS receiver which I've had for some 15 months. In the past few months, after the system has been switched on for about 45 minutes or so, the TomTom Navigator freezes claiming that the GPS signal is unreliable. It doesn't seem to matter whether the system is running on the move in my car or whether the GPS receiver is sitting in the window cill of my house (stationary!!!). I've already done a "hard restart" of the iPaq and reinstalled the TomTom3 with upgrade and also reinstalled the maps, but STILL the GPS packs up after a while. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, what is the problem and the permanent solution Question

When TomTom is working it is brilliant but when it lets you down it is worse than crap! the whole point of SatNav is that you totally rely upon it in places where you would otherwise be lost, when it fails you are completely lost Exclamation
DavidHobbs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does it mean when the device says, "GPS signal unreliable"?
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidHobbs wrote:
What does it mean when the device says, "GPS signal unreliable"?

It means that there is no useful signal being received, say only 1 or 2 sats or may be none at all.
JoyB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem when I first bought my PDA plus tt3.
Tried all ways to set it up, install, uninstall, reinstall etc.
Sometimes it would freeze while still in the house and other times when I was driving.

I was going mad and almost ready to ask for my money back.
Seller asked me finally if I had another sd card I could try using so I took the one out of my camera and tried that. Perfect no problems. Each time I tried with the original (new) card everything froze. Yet it worked fine with everything except tomtom.
So do try it with another card and see if it helps.

Best of luck
JoyB
J4G3D
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont make sense, why would a sd card determin if it wants to recieve the satellites or not? i must admit i get 2 or 3 sats on my pda, max of 5 but rarely, still works OK though it does direct me the wrong way 80% of the time. hey but thats technology for you.
GazzerG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are your maps not stored on your sd card? If your sd card is corrupt the gps will not find were you are in relation to the maps installed on your sd card, especially with a signal strength of 2. Thats the way i understand it anyway. I would of thought you should get a much better signal than 2-3. I had a similar problem with signal strength. I have the Dell X30 with tt3. Had it for about 3 weeks. Worked fine for 2 weeks then started loosing signal strength. I could sit outside work at 8am and would have a signal strength of about 7-8. Then i could get into my car at various times of the day and get a 2-3 signal. I eventually telephoned TT tech department and they told me to send my cradle and gps (wired) back to them and they would replace it. Took about 10 days in total to send and receive replacement back. Since i have had it back the minimum signal i now get is 8.

TT tech support number for the UK 08451610009.
Give them a call if the sd card dont solve your problem then at least they can advise you on the poor signal you seem to be getting
voxmagna
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS signals are high frequency and coming from satellites. If the receiver/antenna performance and sensitivity is marginal your signal reception strength can be reduced by heavy cloud and rain.

I found my Snooper S6 can drop in and out sometimes when static and it's usually on cloudy days.

I'm a real learner on this stuff, but I know a bit about the electronics. I could never 'drive by wire' on these devices. Last week I drove through a tree lined road and it took 30 seconds for the S6 to re-acquire lock. Guess where they had the Truvelo? - just ahead of the trees! As well as audible alerts for camera sites, you really need to know when lock is lost and have it re-acquire very quickly!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: