Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New A120 Bypass
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New A120 Bypass

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mda271
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: New A120 Bypass Reply with quote

Just a quick simple question...

Does anyone know if the new version of TT5 has the new A120 Braintree Bypass listed from Stansted Airport to Braintree??

My current TT V4.40 (for HP RZ1710) doesn't include this new road which I use on a daily basis.

Thanks

Mark
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, the A120 Braintree bypass is included.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
mda271
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay - thank you :D
Brevelay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: A120 Braintree to Stansted Bypass Reply with quote

Just tried TT5 Nav for the first time and it is stiill missing should have stayed with TT3
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was surprised the other day at how out of date the roads round Stanstead stil lare in TT5 - if the roads connecting to major airports are wrong - there is no hope! God knows when they will get the new M25 junction they are currently building for Heathrow on the maps. It has missed this edition of the maps (not surprisingly) - and probably the maps for the next five years if the other examples are anything to go by.
Crocodile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:

The bypass was opened in 2 sections. The first section from the M11 to Great Dunmow is present but the second section from Great Dunmow to Braintree is missing.

The A130 bypass between A12 & A127 was also opened in 2 sections. The second section of that opened in February 2003 but was missing from the 2004 release of V3. It has finally been included in V5.

The A134 bypass north of Colchester opened in June 2003 & is not included in V5. This seems to put the map data at Q1 2003, for Essex at least. This would seem to further support my theory that Tom Tom simply buy old map data from Teleatlas to save money. Which would also go some way to explaining why Teleatlas will not discuss or even acknowledge map errors reported by Tom Tom customers.

Kind if makes you wonder how a product with such out of date maps, bluetooth pairing issues, failed postcode search, etc, etc, etc achieved a 97.5% rating when tested by Pocket GPS.

Tom Tom are funding a Pocket GPS meet you say? It all begins to make sense....
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, it was just about time for the conspiration theories...

If we would write the review today we'd probably deduct a few points for the issues you mentioned. Doesn't change the overall picture though, TomTom is still the clear market leader in Western Europe.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
jonmat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crocodile wrote:
lbendlin wrote:

The bypass was opened in 2 sections. The first section from the M11 to Great Dunmow is present but the second section from Great Dunmow to Braintree is missing.

Is it? My TT5 upgrade does not include the M11 to Great Dunmow stretch, do you use that road or are you just looking at the TT5 map?

Did you install the plus maps?
Crocodile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected! Embarassed

Last time I drove that road under SatNav was using CoPilot 5. That does perform as I described.

When I posted I had only looked at the M11/J8 which shows the new exit slip to the airport & I just assumed that it carried on to Great Dunmow. Embarassed Embarassed

I've just installed the GB+ maps & they're exactly the same. This really is poor. Quote from Tom Tom:

"TomTom uses the latest and most complete maps from the world-leader in digital mapping, TeleAtlas."

Given that the data in CoPilot 5 is more current than the "new" data in Tom Tom, this statement simply doesn't stand up. Either Tom Tom are lying & do indeed buy old generation data from TeleAtlas or, TeleAtlas are "world-leaders" by quantity & not quality.

I think we should be told.
jonmat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clear up any confusion, TT5 shows the old A120 which is now called the B1256, the new A120 bypass does not appear on the new maps.

As the road has been open for some time now I would hope it is in the next release of updated maps.
Boxbrownie
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonmat wrote:
Just to clear up any confusion, TT5 shows the old A120 which is now called the B1256, the new A120 bypass does not appear on the new maps.

As the road has been open for some time now I would hope it is in the next release of updated maps.

Don't hold your breath.......I was going to update just to get new version maps...but now? Forget it, might wait for version 7 or 8.....

Best regards David (lost in Essex)
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

funnily enough (well not funny actually)

I was driving along the A120 from the M11 to Braintree a couple of months ago. (this being the old A road now a busy B road).

I could see the guy in front had a go unit in the windscreen and when we got to the roundabout at where the road now meets the new A120 we both went round it twice before I realised and entered the new road and he shot off into god knows where (tomtom was as quiet as the grave as it thought we'd crashed into a field).

Out of dates maps can cause accidents when you are listening to the instruction on strange routes (and yes I was looking at the road ahead).

This road - a major A road into Londons 3rd airport not being included despite being open for 2+ years is a disgrace.

Perhaps gps isn't ready for the mainstream if tomtom are streets ahead of the other companies.

Who do the AA / RAC use for their printed map books - which are very upto date each year?

Ian
mda271
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I've missed out on the recent replys! Embarassed

By the sound of things, it's not worth me updating my current version of the UK map to the latest version which comes with TT5!!! Why fork out €59 for TT5 upgrade and someone form of updated maps which doesn't include the new A120 bypass, even though this was fully opened June/July last year (December 2003 for the 1st phase - Stansted to Gt. Dunmow).

Thank god, I know where I am going on the new A120 bypass between Braintree & Stansted Aiport everyday - even though TT thinks I'm driving across some fields in the middle of nowhere. Get's a bit annoying when you get told to take the next right or next left frequently, when those roads are now roads which have been built on top of bridges!

Ah well, at least you can turn the voice off.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: