Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTg - Speed Cameras How accurate?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTg - Speed Cameras How accurate?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikeossy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: TTg - Speed Cameras How accurate? Reply with quote

I know that theres a version avaliable from PGPS website but iam thinking of upgrading my palm top as i only use it now for my sat nav and its terribly slow. So iam going for a TTg 300 and wanted the plus package but i would like to hear of anyone that uses this service for the speed cameras and how good it is, i have just bought a Origin B2 and previously had a Classic Road Angel and i find them both excellent - my dilemma is i already have a HF kit and my dash would be cluttered with a Orgin speed camera detector the TTg and my HF kit.
I know alot of you would say get rid of them all and get a TTG 500/700 which can have everything, but my company insits i have the HF kit which cost over £200 to install, is it worth my while getting rid of the Origin and going with the (untested ?) TTG cameras?.

Cheers any help appreciated.
Mike
radavis
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Dont use the TomTom speed cameras I think they are are a complete rip off for what they are charging. Other comments I have read say people have found cameras missing and why pay for something that you can get free here. If you really want to see how good they are you can use them for a month free when you register for the Plus trial.

I dont think I have read anything bad about the ones on this site.

Why waste your money?

Raymond
mikeossy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, ill give the plus month trial a go and see, i have the origin after all.
worthingsaxovtr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no no no no no

the tomtom spped camera database is rubbish, i learnt this after paying for it

the one of here is a lot better and its free plus it is also updated more regulalry

i use the free one of here and my road angel 2

please dont use the tomtom one, the one of here covers so many more cameras
HairyBoy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used the official TomTom Speed cameras but I have used the PocketGPSWorld speed camera databases since getting my Go300 2 months ago.

I have found the PGPSWorld cameras to be very comprehensive with very few missing. I travel extensively around the North of England and haven't found more than a couple of cameras not in the PGPSWorld database.

Also, bear in mind that however TomTom get their data on cameras it can't be as accurate, in my opinion, as the PGPSWorld data as there are hundreds of us out there updating/adding/deleting cameras as we are physically out there "on the ground".

I wouldn't consider paying for the TomTom cameras when the PocketGPSWorld cameras are for free, extremely accurate in my experience, and updated each month. :D
mikeossy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my 300 this morning at 9am when my supplier opened to avoid dissapointment!.
I have had it on allday and just updated it with the PGPSW.co.uk cameras and then went out for a trial run, i must admit iam pleasently supplied with it, i have been used to a Road Angel for the past two years and a Palm from HP for my satnav and wanted to upgrade to an all in one!.
I have found that the scamera sites are excellent and can only be so as a fellow user has just pointed out that 'us' the 'drivers and users' know where these sites better than anyone as we encounter them 24/7 - i was a bit suspisous as to there accuracy but iam as stated very impressed.
One of my only gripes so far is that the charging cable for in the car cant be more than a metre long which is innsuffiecent in some of todays cars and vans.
I will consider the later to be realesed in car kit, but i should expect to pay a truck load of sterling for it!.
Iam a onsite co-ordinator so my satnav is priceless toward my job and so far having only used it for a few hours, iam already itching to get out on monday and use it!.

I have two last questions, when setting the speed camera (poi) alert it asks if i would like this on my 'route' only, do i need this ticked, as at the moment if iam just driving around then it goes off on streets iam not going to go down, but on the other hand will it go off at all if this is ticked and iam not presently on a 'chosen or navigaited' route? - i.e just driving around town not navigating to a preset destination.
And also can i preset a volume for the poi's so that when it come to a camera alert the volume is higher than normal?

-Thanks for everyones help with the Speed Camera Q's, happy Navigating.

Mike
Ugly-Kid-Joe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the "Warn only when on route" ticked it will only alert you if you have a route planed. I personaly leave it unticked then it will warn you just having the Go switched on with no routes planned.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a volume control but this applies to routing directions as well as POI alerts.

It can be linked to road speed - the faster you go the louder it gets. I have mine set to 85%. The volume icon is on Page 2 of Preferences.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
mikeossy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fellas

Mike
iuw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]is it worth my while getting rid of the Origin
Quote:

NO<NO<NO...dont do that ...big mistake...the B2 is far,far better...use the TTG as a "backup"
mikeossy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just throw another spanner in the works, i noticed today that my TTG with the speed cameras picked up a fixed camera and the Origin didnt, im beginning to see a pattern here.....
I think the PGPSW camera listings are far more upto date than that of the Origin who physically send out a man to the site to check if the camera is there - were as the PGPSW list is almost always going to be correct as we wouldnt risk our licence by not putting the site in. Question
Mike
HairyBoy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeossy,

I reduced the number of "false" alarms caused by speed cameras off down streets I wasn't travelling on by reducing the warning distance for 30, 40 and 50mph cameras.

I have my warnings set as follows:

30mph gatsos - 200 yards
40mph gatsos - 250 yards
50mph gatsos - 300 yards

I find this gives me ample warning but does reduce the "false" alarms.

I've left the mobile warnings at greater distances (mobile 30 - 500 yards) as the range of detection is obviously greater for those.

I use the polite 1 warning sound set to 80% is fine for me.

Pleased to hear your delighted with your Go Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: