Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - My TT5 Experience So far
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

My TT5 Experience So far

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pauldp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: My TT5 Experience So far Reply with quote

I thought I would add my experiences with this so far. I must admit reading the bug list I have only come across a small number of the bugs affecting things. But I thought there was a lot of misbalance in the forum over the things I have seen added to TTN5 and thought they are a great improvement.

Kit:
IPAQ 2210 ROM 1.1
TT BT receiver
Motorola V500
256MB Kingston Compact Flash
512MB SD card (not used for TTN)

Installation.
A headache. I got the error not enough space in temporary directory error. But computer literate I managed to sort that one out without reading the TT website. Then I tried to install the maps. 'Unknown device file structure'. This went away after a reboot of the PC but maybe a problem with the fact that I had only just installed MS active sync.

Activating the product did not work, carried this out manually at www.ttcode.com. (a long time after I found that the RAS and internet passthrough option in Activesync had been turned off)

Installed the GB Plus Map. But nowhere does it say what the difference is between the plus map and the normal map. Any clues?

Installed post codes. Came across the post code bug where it did not work. Found fix on TT website and copied zip folder to my documents. post codes then worked fine. BUT why should I have to put up with this using up 9Mb of my main memory.

Activating Traffic.
Errm. OK. Things have changed as it now uses the website login. I used my existing traffic account.

Tried out weather. Didnt work. No error messages just back to the menu. emailed TT support and still holding breath.

Things I noticed and liked:
Traffic used to cause a problem where the bt driver would stay running if the internet connection was initiated by TTN. Also sometimes the bt driver would not find the receiver. This seems to have been fixed and all behave themselves very well.
Not sure about running in landscape mode. TT car holder is best for portrait only.
The option to turn traffic off and get the screen space back that is used up by the bar on the RHS.
Street names on map whilst you are navigating

Tried the thing out in anger. 3 hour journey to and from cambridgeshire with traffic enabled. downloaded the PGPS camera POI and enabled that easily. It worked fine.

Weather now mysteriously working but cannot remove my query from TT, so they will have to answer anyway.
Travelling on M25 when shut on north side on 6/7 due to lorry/van fire with gas canisters on board. Traffic said closed between 21A and 22. Traffic forgot to mention that the motorway is down to 1 lane between 21 and 21A and there is a massive queue. Got to queue and told it to find an alternative due to blockage, which it did at about the same speed at TTN3 would have done.
Found that using the traffic information system whilst travelling is much improved as a GUI. Trying to tap on a particular incident and find out info on it was too fiddly. Also giving a comparison with the original and distance and time to the event was a great idea. Also the bar now just shows the incidents in front of you giving more clarity to what is going on.
Couldnt find anywhere the bits to tweak the speeds of how fast I travel on different roads. BUT, it had transfered my settings from TT3 so they are still in there somewhere. (i know cos my motorway speed is spot on for me, but slower roads I travel faster than the speed it thinks).
Where has the automatic zoom on/off option gone? I thought at one time it was all manual now. I did find that it was zoomed in a bit too close for my liking in 3D mode at times.

Return journey. Impressed at how I could just say avoid M25 and travelled on A43 and A34 new bypasses both of which were not on the old maps, so nice to see they are there. The GUI for avoiding part of the journey avoidance is much improved. I do take the point of avoid area is now missing, but I read this after using TTN5 so I cant have missed it that much.

Very puzzled by the fact that a large roundabout near here got changed to trafffic lights and completed before the A34 bypass and it is not on the new maps. (Yes I reported the error).

Heared some soft chimes on the motorway which I couldnt work out what they are about. Eventually managed to glimpse the word 'Traffic' in lback and white on the top left. I remembered that sometimes it put messages up there, but they are brief. Too brief in my opinion and need to have an adjustable time length on them, or at least be on 10 seconds rather than the 1-2 they currently are.

Also some of the 'keep right' notifications on motorways were better(there were less of them), although you still get the odd one showing straight on with a right hand slip road and the arrow pointing stragight on, and the voice saying 'keep right'. (sign should be mirrored)
And to cap it all off I get a 'cannot execute \windows\ttgpsend.exe' notification error every time I turn it on now. Also had to manually deinstall the TTN wizard as this was left on a menu from TTN3.

Happy? Well yes. I have a working sat nav. But reading through some of the posts here I would be very upset and unhappy with the experiences some people are having here. Improved? Yes definitely. Easier to use, but the problem with this is that to make things easier you reduce the fiddly functionality. The big question is where to draw the line. I think for the most part they have got it right, but obviously there are always people who will have lost a feature that is major on their list of must haves. Also clarity of information has improved and the BT driver performance is miles better.

I hope this is of help to people who are thinking of upgrading and maybe have been put off a bit too much by some of the posts of people who are having major problems.
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: My TT5 Experience So far Reply with quote

Pauldp wrote:

Installed the GB Plus Map. But nowhere does it say what the difference is between the plus map and the normal map. Any clues?

The plus map is the GB map plus the major roads of Europe all in one map.

Quote:

Installed post codes. Came across the post code bug where it did not work. Found fix on TT website and copied zip folder to my documents. post codes then worked fine. BUT why should I have to put up with this using up 9Mb of my main memory.

You don't. Just create an empty directory called "TomTom" in the root of your storage card and it will start working.
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My TT5 Experience So far Reply with quote

Pauldp wrote:
And to cap it all off I get a 'cannot execute \windows\ttgpsend.exe' notification error every time I turn it on now.

Lutz posted a fix for this, which worked well for me, but I can't seem to find it now using the search facility.......

Steve
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, my mistake, it was ttgpseng.exe using the 'check_notifications' programme.

Steve
pdauser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: GB Plus map Reply with quote

i've just got tt 5 and wanted to get the maps for europeand was wondering what this GB plus map was and where can i get it. Also, is there maps for Spain in general available instead of those silly little city maps for 10 euros

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: