Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTNav2 and bluetooth questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTNav2 and bluetooth questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrispyPete
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: TTNav2 and bluetooth questions Reply with quote

First can I say great website, lots of information. Having had a look around the site and read some of the reviews available I think I have decided on TTNav2, a bluetooth enabled PDA, and the Emtac bluetooth receiver reviewed on the pocket gps site. Has anyone real life experience of this setup? Also have you any recommendations for the PDA? The IPAQ and Fujitsu Loox is quite prevalent in my work environment,Any suggestions?

Also looking around the retailers it looks like I would have to buy all these elements separately as oppossed to some of the Tom Tom "bundles" that seem to be available. Will I also need to purchase separate cables/PDA holder etc to get charging working from the cigarrette lighter socket in the car?

Lastly with TTNav2 I understand there are multiple maps for the UK. Is it possible to plot a route that crosses these maps/areas i.e. London to Manchester or are multiple routes to the boundaries of each map required?

Apolgies for asking so many questions but thanks in advance for any feeback
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: TTNav2 and bluetooth questions Reply with quote

Is there any particular reason why you want a Bluetooth GPS? As you are really going to need a PDA power cable in car, and arguably power to the Bluetooth GPS as well, you can arguably get a neater installation using a CompactFlash GPS or even a 'mouse' GPS, both of which are rather cheaper.

Something like a Dell Axim X5 Advanced would do the job perfectly well if teamed with a CompactFlash GPS. This should be a cheaper option than Bluetooth. If you really want Bluetooth on the Axim for any reason (such as use with a Bluetooth mobile phone) you can switch your CompactFlash GPS card for a CompactFlash Bluetooth card.

Just another thought, anyway.

In car mounts - arguably the best are Brodit. I hope to get mine from Handnav one day (ordered with the appropriate ProClip on 16 May - they haven't even had the decency to reply to my second email chasing this after missing the promised shipping date of this Tuesday and are displaying exceptionally poor customer service). I am going to email Nemesis tonight to see if I can buy direct from them and tell Handnav to forget about it.

If you buy a Brodit active mount, the charger is built in to the mount.

Multiple maps - you have that option. You can't route from one map to another - you must plan a new route when switching maps. The easiest answer is to install the full Great Britain TomTom 2 map, which is 95MB. That fits on a relatively cheap 128MB SD card, though I'd recommend 256MB now so you have space for backups (and MP3s if you choose!).

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: