Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Go Classic Car charger
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Go Classic Car charger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
buckman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: TomTom Go Classic Car charger Reply with quote

Can i use the Go classic Car charger? Ive heard some people "frying" their GO's!! so dont want to take any chances!!

What do i look for on my adaptor to make sure its safe?

also once its safe do i leave it plugged in permanently into my car and clip my TTG classic into the car dock (which is plugged into my charger) on my journeys? so that the charge Green light is permamnently on?

Is this the best way to use my GO so that i dont really use its battery on its own (uncharged)?

If so then i can tape my charger wire to the inside of the car etc

many thanks Embarassed
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom Go Classic Car charger Reply with quote

buckman wrote:
Can i use the Go classic Car charger? Ive heard some people "frying" their GO's!! so dont want to take any chances!!

What do i look for on my adaptor to make sure its safe?

If it says 24/12V 2A on the side, it is reckoned to be OK.

buckman wrote:
also once its safe do i leave it plugged in permanently into my car and clip my TTG classic into the car dock (which is plugged into my charger) on my journeys? so that the charge Green light is permamnently on?

Is this the best way to use my GO so that i dont really use its battery on its own (uncharged)?

If so then i can tape my charger wire to the inside of the car etc

many thanks Embarassed

I leave mine plugged in while the TTG is in it's mount. If I'm not using TTG I lay the car adaptor on the shelf just above. The wire is hiding behind the facia.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
FazerBoy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John50
Thats whst I have got, 3amp in Cerise.
Does this mean that its the wrong type?
Cheers
Steve
buckman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the 3 amp in Cerise too!!! 8O
Old_Phil
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err, I had to look up "cerise" in Google to find out it's a deep, purplish red!

I think the days of faulty chargers are well gone, and even then there were not that many - the only recent posts I can remember are from folk inflicting damage on their GOs themselves.
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's worrying. I have the cerise fuse. And, since I normally charge the GO up at home with the mains charger, I've probably only used it a dozen times in 9 months.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
buckman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i do the same - ALWAYS do a charge at home from the mains and run the TTG from its battery, so have never used the car charger..

But a few journeys have involved a lot of driving through the day and the battery started to flash constantly as its was running out of juice!

Are you supposed to run it on the battery every time? or (like i suddenly thought), are you supposed to have it plugged into the car so its running of the mains and always topped up?? Rolling Eyes

Secondly does it take longer to get a satellite fix etc etc when the battery is low? or shouldnt this affect it? - its just that i thought it seemed slower and the ASN wasnt as good when it was a low battery

Hence why the cerise Car charger that i have (from August Last year) has never been used, were they all rectified by this time, so mine is maybe ok? i have contacted TomTom but they are yet to get back with an answer.. (i have 2 Car chargers i think as i bought a 2nd Arm for another car)
buckman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE**

Still no word as yet from TomTom about my car chargers, but i have just checked my other one and it is different!

One of them is a Cerise side fuse with a 3 on it..

My other one that i (bought with an extra arm) has a

Clear fuse with 2 on it?!

Which if ANY? is it safe to use all the time within my car?

And should i get one or both changed straight away by TomTom?

Thanks Embarassed
FazerBoy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my reply back from Tom Tom re the fuse issue john50 mentioned above.
They said "There is no reason for concern as there is no known issue".

Talk about consistency. Does anyone know if this is a real issue?

Its probably not if Tom Tom say it isn't, but why would they replace a charger if it wasn't.

Confused of T/Wells.
smallfreak
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckman wrote:
UPDATE**

Still no word as yet from TomTom about my car chargers, but i have just checked my other one and it is different!

One of them is a Cerise side fuse with a 3 on it..

My other one that i (bought with an extra arm) has a

Clear fuse with 2 on it?!

Which if ANY? is it safe to use all the time within my car?

And should i get one or both changed straight away by TomTom?

Thanks Embarassed

It does not matter whether there is a 2A or 3A fuse in the charger. Someone already measured the true power consumption and the GO does not take more than about 500mA at 5V (2.5W). All you have to check is, whether the adapter has 5V on the output and whether the polarity is right.

The 5V should be stable and not decrease when plugged in.

The "simple" solution to attach a plug on the lighter socket instead of the "car charger" is the "deadly" one, because this would apply 12V to the GO instead the necessary 5V and that will fry your unit.
sifi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know the reason why some were "fried" i.e. Why were some outputting 12V instead of 5V nad. Was the regulator faulty or was there a short so the car's 12V was directly outputted to the TT?
My fuse is cerise and I contacted TT and got a non-sensical reply. Why was one person told the 3A cerise was wrong yet others told it was OK? As mentioned the TTGo only draws a current of less than 1A so why isn't a 1A fuse used? Or why not a fast blow fuse inside to protect it?

[/i]
smallfreak
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sifi wrote:
Does anyone know the reason why some were "fried" i.e. Why were some outputting 12V instead of 5V nad. Was the regulator faulty or was there a short so the car's 12V was directly outputted to the TT?

The most likely reason for this is not a fault in the charger, but "human fault". Mainly you could grab the wrong lead hanging around at your desk. You might grab a "Scanner" spower supply, or a telephone charger or any other. These cables look so similar that you easily can confuse them. Unfortunately most of the plugs that fit by chance into the power connector hole on your GO do have more than the allowed 5V and/or a different polarity.

Another common mistake is, that one might think the car charger simply feeds the power from the cigarette lighter into the GO and use a simple "straight through cable" instead. VERY wrong.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: